The Student Room Group

Why are people against eugenics?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ServantOfMorgoth
My post has everything to do with yours as it focues on the overcoming external stimuli such as diseases.
Say you went ahead with the eugenics and you got rid of all diseases known to man and then 10 years after your "successful" program a new disease pops up and wipes away 90% of your very little diverse population, what happens then? Extinction of the human race?

It's impossible for a new disease to wipe out 90% of a population that employs eugenics. A virus could do it, but that's a different topic. Disease can only wipe out 90% of a population that continues the practice of non-infected people breeding with infected people. That's how disease propagates.
Original post by kimi1kimi2kimi3
It's impossible for a new disease to wipe out 90% of a population that employs eugenics. A virus could do it, but that's a different topic. Disease can only wipe out 90% of a population that continues the practice of non-infected people breeding with infected people. That's how disease propagates.

Death by virus or disease, it doesn't matter, the end result would be the same. By the way, disease by a virus is called viral diseases so it falls under the umbrella of diseases.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Arguably natural selection

Eugenics is more something that has conscious effort behind it, isn't it? E.g. a campaign to make intelligent men and women more desirable would be eugenics, imo.

i have never needed any improvements :smug: so cannot comment
If you have to factor in diversity in eugenics, then it wouldn't be eugenics since you would be allowing "unfit" genes to reproduce.

And yes, I'll still be against it as per the diversity arguement.

It's a fair point, but Eugenics is still Eugenics if you allow "unfit" genes to reproduce. Eugenics is only the aim of improving the "stock" of the human race, not the exclusive selection of specific genes. Genes and traits arent divided into "good" and "bad genes", usually they will be a mix based on situation.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Then, of course, there's a market for it. And only the rich could afford 'designer babies', with hugely improved traits.Then you've got two classes of humans - the 'improved', and the 'unimproved'.Inequality at its finest.That's why I'm not sold on eugenics.
Wouldn't this just be an argument against literally anything? "Dont invent TVs, poor people wont get them" etc.
To those commenting about genocide ect.. all we really need do is provide incentives for some not to breed and wait for them to die. We don't have to go around killing the undesirables.

Abstract, while i can imagine the NHS making certain improvements free i see little harm to allowing the rich to purchase other improvements at a cost. Think about the jobs and growth.
Original post by viddy9

The difference between enhancing the human species with genetic screening and enhancing it with genetic engineering is that genetic screening would select an embryo which could have plausibly come into existence anyway, whereas a genetically engineered human would most likely possess wildly different abilities to some of its peers.

If we limit ourselves to wild type gene replacement and not introducing wild new genetic networks into, then genetically engineered humans would not possess any wildly different characteristics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
Original post by kimi1kimi2kimi3
Your post has nothing to do with mine. I'm saying that the "outbreeding" of disease has nothing to do with the designation of certain traits or abilities as being more desirable than others, or with the extermination or sterilization of people who don't possess those desirable traits (whatever they might be deemed to be by whomever might deem them so). And I fully acknowledge that human beings' corruptible nature would make it impossible for us to implement a morally sound eugenics program at this juncture of our existence. I'm just saying that the intent of the eugenics movement as originally conceived was simply to eliminate suffering caused by disease, not to pick and choose the attributes of our offspring.

What is a disease?
Reply 47
Eugenics is a waste of time, no-one knows what "bad" genes and good genes are so how could anyone know which to eliminate and which to promote.

For example, obesity is causing huge problems now but the genes that make people accumulate fat was essential to human survival when food was scarce and millions died from famine every year even in the West. An advantageous adaptation in our past has turned into a liability due to changes in our environment.

Who is to say other genes that we find "bad" and try to eliminate would not turn out to be essential for human survival in the future and genes we now think are good would not be a liability in the future.
I am all for it
Reply 49
Humans have more hope than mere chance of deciding which genes are in our long term interests

Technology will almost certainly make it relatively easy to create a 'library' of genes, and we could probably reintroduce genes if environmental changes necessitated it. There are other ways of introducing genes, other than editing genes of embryos. E.g. retro virus gene therapy, which would not affect children, and therefore a good measure to protect against temporary problems.

You can't add and subtract gene at will without any knock on effects that are difficult to predict. Genes need to be controlled and controlling one gene can affect a load of others that no one may know about now. Thats why gene therapy is so difficult because you need to get the gene in the right place and be able to control it and avoid side effects.

So its easy to create a gene library, quite another to use it. Retro viruses do affect children, children get AIDs from HIV.
Instead of employing all this science, how about if people who have hereditary and sexually transmitted diseases just stop reproducing in the interest of the greater good? Start with Africans who are HIV positive and crank out HIV positive babies like it's the thing to do.
Reply 51
Sorry but you just come off as racist and quite frankly like a troll.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The OP does not know what he/she is talking about. He/she claims cancer can be eradicated with eugenics which is a ignorant thing to claim because most cancers are not hereditary and many people only get cancer after the age when most people have already had children.

The OP also fails to understand that many cancers are caused when genes are modified after mitosis and differs from the genes they inherited.

The OP also fails to take into account the changing environment people will live in. Babies designed for one period in time will likely to be less successful in a different time when they are being educated and working.

Its a good thing eugenics is not being practiced now since the OP would most likely have been eliminated from the gene pool for ignorance.
Reply 52
Original post by Asklepios
If we limit ourselves to wild type gene replacement and not introducing wild new genetic networks into, then genetically engineered humans would not possess any wildly different characteristics.

I suppose, but I doubt we can limit ourselves. Plus, embryo selection could do that job anyway, although it would admittedly be less efficient.

a more interesting dilemma is that some autistic disorders have high average intelligence - e.g. Aspergers. Eugenics to increase intelligence could end up increasing autistic disorders.

Yes, good point, though I'm not sure how big the effect would be if there would be one at all. I think that would be perfectly acceptable, though, if it were the case (although I'm biased because I have Asperger's).

I would be much more accepting of genetic engineering if we could modify humans to be more moral. Obviously, people vehmently disagree on what being moral is, but data-driven, mathematically-minded people who are probably on the autistic spectrum tend to take a universal and impartial stance on morality, so they're more likely to try to do the most good and more likely to consider the interests of all people, and those who use the emotional parts of their brain less and the areas of the brain associated with reason more are more likely to make utilitarian judgements in experiments.

So, essentially, I wish to create a group of Vulcans. (Obviously, the risk is that you would create lots of psychopaths in the process instead).

A counter argument would be that the 'inferior' humans would be improved to the level of the 'superior' humans by eugenics... I don't see how eugenics would encourage the creation of an obviously 'inferior' group of humans, rather than seeking to improve them

Not all members of society will have access to these technologies in some countries (where elitism is already rampant), and some members of society, particularly the religious, will not go near these technologies.
Reply 53
Original post by Maker
The OP does not know what he/she is talking about. He/she claims cancer can be eradicated with eugenics which is a ignorant thing to claim because most cancers are not hereditary and many people only get cancer after the age when most people have already had children.

The OP also fails to understand that many cancers are caused when genes are modified after mitosis and differs from the genes they inherited.

The OP also fails to take into account the changing environment people will live in. Babies designed for one period in time will likely to be less successful in a different time when they are being educated and working.

Its a good thing eugenics is not being practiced now since the OP would most likely have been eliminated from the gene pool for ignorance.

While it's true that a lot of cancers aren't hereditary, there are genes associated with having a higher chance of developing certain cancers. Therefore you could reduce the possibility of developing cancer. I may have said 'cancers' but I never said eradicated. I did, however, claim that ms could be eradicated, which is true, you arrogant dick.

I don't fail 'to understand that many cancers are caused when genes are modified after mitosis and differs from the genes they inherited', I'm well aware of this fact. You just assumed that I didn't. Therefore, making you come across as ignorant.

The only thing I ever suggested was the eradication of hereditary illnesses. In what possible future could an illness such as ms, sickle cell anaemia, or cystic fibrosis be useful? All of which cause unnecessary pain and suffering whilst also reducing quality of life.

And your final point, my potential non-existence if eugenics had been practiced because of your belief that I'm ignorant. Is incorrect, eugenics would never focus on someone being ignorant, if you consider the fact that that isn't genetic.
Reply 54
Original post by Daito
While it's true that a lot of cancers aren't hereditary, there are genes associated with having a higher chance of developing certain cancers. Therefore you could reduce the possibility of developing cancer. I may have said 'cancers' but I never said eradicated. I did, however, claim that ms could be eradicated, which is true, you arrogant dick.

I don't fail 'to understand that many cancers are caused when genes are modified after mitosis and differs from the genes they inherited', I'm well aware of this fact. You just assumed that I didn't. Therefore, making you come across as ignorant.

The only thing I ever suggested was the eradication of hereditary illnesses. In what possible future could an illness such as ms, sickle cell anaemia, or cystic fibrosis be useful? All of which cause unnecessary pain and suffering whilst also reducing quality of life.

And your final point, my potential non-existence if eugenics had been practiced because of your belief that I'm ignorant. Is incorrect, eugenics would never focus on someone being ignorant, if you consider the fact that that isn't genetic.

Since 50% of people will get some form of cancer, you need to eliminate 50% of the people to get rid of the cancer associated genes but that still won't eliminate cancer since there are many other causes such as UV radiation, viruses and chemicals like asbestos which are not related to genes.

Its pretty stupid to get rid of half the people for diseases that are increasingly treatable, survival rates for nearly all types of cancer is increasing with better treatment. Implementing eugenics will reverse that trend because people will not waste resources on diseases that is supposed to be eliminated in a few generations.

You need to chill bro, getting stressed is bad for your health and may eliminate you from the gene pool.
Reply 55
Original post by Maker
Since 50% of people will get some form of cancer, you need to eliminate 50% of the people to get rid of the cancer associated genes but that still won't eliminate cancer since there are many other causes such as UV radiation, viruses and chemicals like asbestos which are not related to genes.

Its pretty stupid to get rid of half the people for diseases that are increasingly treatable, survival rates for nearly all types of cancer is increasing with better treatment. Implementing eugenics will reverse that trend because people will not waste resources on diseases that is supposed to be eliminated in a few generations.

You need to chill bro, getting stressed is bad for your health and may eliminate you from the gene pool.

I never said get rid of them, I only really suggested that the genes highly associated with getting cancer-testicular, breast, ovarian etc- . As well as this, the figure is 4/10- significantly lower. Death isn't necessarily the only course of action for removing these genes also, which we can do by editing the genome of a cell.

Nah man dw, I'm so chill rn.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending