The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Brown University vs. Uni of Edinburgh vs. KCL

I got accepted to these three schools, and am having such a hard time deciding which one is best. I think Brown is the most selective but I also got no FA so that's an issue... I come from the EU so both Edinburgh and KCL would be much cheaper. I also want to probably attend Law School after UG (aiming for top schools), so do you think gaining a degree from lower unis would make a difference? It would financially for me for sure. But I also really like the idea of a US college experience. Any advice? Thanks!
Reply 1
I don't know, just remember if you go to Brown you have a possibility of being shot.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by GUMI
I don't know, just remember if you go to Brown you have a possibility of being shot.

Ahahaha *stereotypes*
I'm pretty sure Europe isn't the safest either atm.
Original post by GUMI

Hilarious

Original post by ntanationa
I got accepted to these three schools, and am having such a hard time deciding which one is best. I think Brown is the most selective but I also got no FA so that's an issue... I come from the EU so both Edinburgh and KCL would be much cheaper. I also want to probably attend Law School after UG (aiming for top schools), so do you think gaining a degree from lower unis would make a difference? It would financially for me for sure. But I also really like the idea of a US college experience. Any advice? Thanks!

Brown's terrific - congratulations on your offer :h: I'll be choosing the US over the UK but I would say if you don't want to go to Brown really badly, you're better off choosing Edinburgh or KCL. Do you want to work in the US or UK after? And do you want to attend grad school in the US or UK?
Reply 4
Original post by Student403
Hilarious
Brown's terrific - congratulations on your offer :h: I'll be choosing the US over the UK but I would say if you don't want to go to Brown really badly, you're better off choosing Edinburgh or KCL. Do you want to work in the US or UK after? And do you want to attend grad school in the US or UK?

Thanks! Where are you headed?
I would like to do grad school in the US (hence why it'll be also very expensive). I think Brown would be a really cool experience, but I also need to be aware for the future. Moreover, I'd be living in a different continent to my family and I don't know anyone living in the US (another factor). I really don't know where I want to work... I'd probably like to travel around.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks! Where are you headed?
I would like to do grad school in the US (hence why it'll be also very expensive). I think Brown would be a really cool experience, but I also need to be aware for the future. Moreover, I'd be living in a different continent to my family and I don't know anyone living in the US (another factor). I really don't know where I want to work... I'd probably like to travel around.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cornell :smile:

Oh in that case, if you're very interested in the experience, I'd say go for it. Cornell's a 16 hour flight away from me and my family but I think it's definitely worth it if it's what you always dreamed of (I know I did).

I was advised on CC (by the way, you should ask this on CC too) that if I wanted to work in the US, I'm better off attending a uni in the States. So that's up to you :smile:
Reply 6
Cornell :smile:

Oh in that case, if you're very interested in the experience, I'd say go for it. Cornell's a 16 hour flight away from me and my family but I think it's definitely worth it if it's what you always dreamed of (I know I did).

I was advised on CC (by the way, you should ask this on CC too) that if I wanted to work in the US, I'm better off attending a uni in the States. So that's up to you :smile:

Wow congrats on Cornell! :smile: Thanks for your advice. I will think through this and talk to my parents. It's a really hard decision :/

I actually did post this on CC ahaha but didn't get any replies yet :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow congrats on Cornell! :smile: Thanks for your advice. I will think through this and talk to my parents. It's a really hard decision :/

I actually did post this on CC ahaha but didn't get any replies yet :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw thanks! :h: Yeah definitely give it some thought. I'd say Brown is especially awesome for the "US College experience" because it's in the Ivy League - which means the sports (fundamental aspect) is gonna be insane!

Oh darn :frown: How long ago?
Reply 8
Aw thanks! :h: Yeah definitely give it some thought. I'd say Brown is especially awesome for the "US College experience" because it's in the Ivy League - which means the sports (fundamental aspect) is gonna be insane!

Oh darn :frown: How long ago?

Ahahaha Americans and sports tho :biggrin: I guess Cornell is the same then :wink:
I posted it a few hours ago... I guess they are less interested in UK unis lol

Did you get into any UK unis as well? Why did you choose to opt for US?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahahaha Americans and sports tho :biggrin: I guess Cornell is the same then :wink:
I posted it a few hours ago... I guess they are less interested in UK unis lol

Did you get into any UK unis as well? Why did you choose to opt for US?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I'm really looking forward to the big games and rivalry :biggrin:

Usually it'll take about a day for a reply to show up so just hang in there :h: I had offers from some, yeah. But tbh studying in the US had always been my dream from the start - I kinda just applied to the UK incase I got any good ones and didn't get any good ones in the US (for more options). But thankfully I can head to the US now :smile:

How did you find the whole process? Personally I put so much effort in, I would have been super disappointed if it had all been to go to the UK :sad:
Browns if you can afford it. I don think there are top law schools btw.
Reply 11
Original post by 999tigger
Browns if you can afford it. I don think there are top law schools btw.

Thanks for your opinion! I'm thinking like Harvard or Yale law school (veeeeryyy ideally).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for your opinion! I'm thinking like Harvard or Yale law school (veeeeryyy ideally).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you been invited to study law at Browns?

Can you get into Harvard or Yale? Where do you intend practising?
Reply 13
Yeah I'm really looking forward to the big games and rivalry :biggrin:

Usually it'll take about a day for a reply to show up so just hang in there :h: I had offers from some, yeah. But tbh studying in the US had always been my dream from the start - I kinda just applied to the UK incase I got any good ones and didn't get any good ones in the US (for more options). But thankfully I can head to the US now :smile:

How did you find the whole process? Personally I put so much effort in, I would have been super disappointed if it had all been to go to the UK :sad:

Okay I'll check back tomorrow then on CC! The US common app was so long and complicated. I totally understand you. I was expecting to be rejected from all the schools I applied to in the US so was feeling like I'd wasted lots of time. I was really surprised that I got in. But now I gotta make the decision!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by 999tigger
Have you been invited to study law at Browns?

Can you get into Harvard or Yale? Where do you intend practising?

Yes I was accepted to Brown but not the law school, just the college. I don't know if I can get into those law schools, just kinda dreaming... I'd like to and that's why I'm asking if people think it would make a difference whether I go to Brown or KCL or Edinburgh as undergrad to have the best chance at getting in. Idk where I would like to practice but I want to study international law

Posted from TSR Mobile
It makes a difference in your route to qualification.

If money were no object then I would go to Brown for the experience, but let's be clear - Brown is not a better university than Edinburgh or KCL. If you aren't from a very wealthy family then I would go to Edinburgh, it's a great university and free for EU students. No brainer, really.

Do you have any legitimate reasons for wanting to go to grad school in the US? It makes absolutely no sense to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a professional postgrad degree like the JD unless you're planning on moving to the US permanently.
Reply 17
Original post by Snufkin
If money were no object then I would go to Brown for the experience, but let's be clear - Brown is not a better university than Edinburgh or KCL. If you aren't from a very wealthy family then I would go to Edinburgh, it's a great university and free for EU students. No brainer, really.

Do you have any legitimate reasons for wanting to go to grad school in the US? It makes absolutely no sense to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on a professional postgrad degree like the JD unless you're planning on moving to the US permanently.

Thanks! It's nice to see hear from both sides. I don't have legitimate reasons for wanting to study postgrad in US. I am actually debating between law school or a GDL. I was just thinking that maybe. JD is seen as better? Please correct me on this if you don't agree.
Anyways so you think that in terms of postgrad or job prospects it would make much difference what uni I chose?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks! It's nice to see hear from both sides. I don't have legitimate reasons for wanting to study postgrad in US. I am actually debating between law school or a GDL. I was just thinking that maybe. JD is seen as better? Please correct me on this if you don't agree.
Anyways so you think that in terms of postgrad or job prospects it would make much difference what uni I chose?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Americans will think a JD is better, British employers will think a GDL is better. It all depends on where you live. Even if you did a JD at Harvard, you would still have to do a GDL if you wanted to practice law in the UK. I think you should forget about postgrad and do what's right for you now.
Reply 19
Original post by Snufkin
Americans will think a JD is better, British employers will think a GDL is better. It all depends on where you live. Even if you did a JD at Harvard, you would still have to do a GDL if you wanted to practice law in the UK. I think you should forget about postgrad and do what's right for you now.

Yep I think you're right. Especially since I have no idea where I'll work in the future! Thanks for your input :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest