The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Extenuating circumstances for mental health and a stay in hospital?

Okay I need to give as much background info as possible, I'm just wondering if anyone's had any similar experiences or can offer any insight: I'm in my third year and have severe anxiety problems that have persisted since before I started uni. The department are well aware of them, I have been enrolled on the Student Psychological Services and I am currently enrolled on the Disability Services, which makes it easier to get extensions quickly and so on. The department have always been understanding and given extensions when I've asked (which has been for every piece of work- 5 essays in counting), and they're always a week longer than the actual deadline. This year I massively :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:ed up, my anxiety got unmanageable (intense panic attacks multiple times a day) and then unluckily I became really ill with glandular fever which meant I was in hospital for a few days but also just was really ill for a period of like 2 months, exhausted all the time, and found it really hard to focus. On top of this, I was diagnosed with severe anaemia whilst in hospital (which explains why I can never get out of bed lol) and had to have a blood transfusion. As a result, all the essays I've handed in have been late- even later than the extensions I was given, either by a couple of days or up to a week later than their new extensions. I have felt too nervous to bring this up with my tutor/course administrator because I'm terrified that they will say exactly what I expect them to: we gave you the standard concessions, and you still handed it in late, so you get the 15 marks deducted that people do when they hand in work late. This makes sense and I'm not saying I deserve special treatment. Plus, they're also approving an extension for my dissertation, and it all feels like I'm just pushing it. I wouldn't blame anyone for feeling completely fed up with me at this point. But 15 marks is a lot and, because its on every piece of work, will mean I graduate with a lower 2:1 or a 2:2. I was just wondering on the off chance how likely people think it is that if I go to them and ask them to reconsider the deadlines (that they already reconsidered for me), saying that it wasn't enough time and would they mind overlooking the marking penalties, they might see eye to eye? I *have* provided them with medical evidence, for both the anxiety (letters from my doctor and copies of my medication prescription) and from my glandular fever and stay in the intensive care unit (a copy of my discharge summary). I know it sounds bad, but I have dedicated all my time to working on this stuff. I've got high firsts, but if the marking penalties go through they will turn into 2:2s or 2:1s. What do people make of this? What would you expect them to do? Or have you had any similar experiences? Sorry for the essay and thank you in advance.

***EDIT*** also during this year, I had to live at home with my mum, who became ill early in the year (she's fine now) but who I had to look after on my own temporarily, because my grandma lives far away and my dad isn't in contact with us. This was a really big factor in worsening the anxiety- I did mention it to my tutor once so I think it's on record.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Email your personal tutor and outline the situation in as much detail as you're comfortable.

Get a Dr's note to verify your situation.

Contact who your personal tutor says to contact. Maybe arrange a meeting with them and talk it through with them.

Various pieces of paper will need to be signed, but they will usually be reasonably accommodating (not going to give a three month extension on an assignment, but maybe an extension equal to your stay in hospital etc).

PS: Glad to see the sweary dolphins have made an appearance :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Mimir
Email your personal tutor and outline the situation in as much detail as you're comfortable.

Get a Dr's note to verify your situation.

Contact who your personal tutor says to contact. Maybe arrange a meeting with them and talk it through with them.

Various pieces of paper will need to be signed, but they will usually be reasonably accommodating (not going to give a three month extension on an assignment, but maybe an extension equal to your stay in hospital etc).

PS: Glad to see the sweary dolphins have made an appearance :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:

Thank you very much for responding. If it is later than their extended deadline by a few days, in each case, do you think they are likely to reconsider?
Dont you have anyone to advocate for you from the disability or phsychological service? Your tutor should be aware the situation has got worse plus more incidents have happened than normal. Imo get a student rep or better the diasbility service to assist. I would ask for the time I needed.
Reply 4
Original post by lobster3333
Thank you very much for responding. If it is later than their extended deadline by a few days, in each case, do you think they are likely to reconsider?

If you explain the circumstances.

Your reasonable adjustments are in place for the circumstances you declared to the disability support etc at that time.

Extenuating circumstances, however, are those which were not foreseen and the reasonable adjustments you had in place would not be sufficient for. Of course, this is slightly subjective, and it is ultimately down to the university.

Tell them as much as you can and have evidence to back it up and it should be ok.

Try and get some work done for the deadline you would normally work to at least, then if they say no, you've got work to hand in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending