The Student Room Group

Where to go in Scotland?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MsChantelle
thanks :smile: Where would you go over 4 days out of those?

Definitely Glasgow first. You could spent your 4 days there and not be short of things to do :tongue: Glasgow has plenty to do and lots of free attractions as well and has great travel links to everywhere in Scotland. Loch Lomond is a short train ride away from Glasgow as is Ayrshire. You can get the train to the ferry dock that takes you to the Isle of Arran from Ayr or Glasgow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd love to go Edinburgh since my amazing friend @Ethereal World, I believe, is from there.:h:
Reply 22
Original post by Spock's Socks
Definitely Glasgow first. You could spent your 4 days there and not be short of things to do :tongue: Glasgow has plenty to do and lots of free attractions as well and has great travel links to everywhere in Scotland. Loch Lomond is a short train ride away from Glasgow as is Ayrshire. You can get the train to the ferry dock that takes you to the Isle of Arran from Ayr or Glasgow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ty, Edinburgh and Glasgow then :smile: I think I will go to the loch too, or maybe the island :gah:
Loch Ness. Seriously - it's one of the most breathtakingly gorgeous places on Earth.

I went to Scotland two summers ago and visited Edinburgh, Inverness, Skye, Fort William and Glasgow. I really liked all of them, but if you get a bus going alongside Loch Ness from Fort William, you will be stunned by its beauty. It stretches on and on, apparently neverending, and it is simply glorious.

It probably seems as though I am gushing here, but words simply cannot begin to describe how truly magnificent Loch Ness is. It's got to be one of the most underrated places in existence.
The train journey from Fort William to Glasgow is also pretty spectacular. :h::h:
Original post by MsChantelle
Ty, Edinburgh and Glasgow then :smile: I think I will go to the loch too, or maybe the island :gah:

If you want to go to the Isle of Arran you can buy a combined train and ferry ticket. The train stops right on the sea-front at Ardrossen next to the ferry.
Glasgow is terrible TBH. Unless you just like drinking/night scene, just hit it anyway to "tick" it off. It's an ugly city. It really depends on what interests you. The best locations in scotland are usually the most remote, Inverness/Lomond/Ness are relatively pretty (standard in Scotland TBH) but they are also kinda crowded/touristy if stop off at the wrong places. Cairngorms, Shetlands etc are IMO the most beautiful and somewhat authentic... but they are fairly out of the way.
Not Aberdeen.

Some of the other cities are nice though
Original post by Banana00
Loch Ness. Seriously - it's one of the most breathtakingly gorgeous places on Earth.

I went to Scotland two summers ago and visited Edinburgh, Inverness, Skye, Fort William and Glasgow. I really liked all of them, but if you get a bus going alongside Loch Ness from Fort William, you will be stunned by its beauty. It stretches on and on, apparently neverending, and it is simply glorious.

It probably seems as though I am gushing here, but words simply cannot begin to describe how truly magnificent Loch Ness is. It's got to be one of the most underrated places in existence.

I kinda thought it was overrated. I mean it's ok but it's really just a lake. I don't like it as much as driving round the highlands (so many pretty hills ♥) Although that said, I went when it was bucketing with rain and I was too stressed about when my exam results were going to arrive so maybe I should go back when I'm not pacing around the edges of a campsite with my phone in the air trying to get signal.

I'm quite fond of Mull, personally, but I'm biased because there's good diving over there
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
I kinda thought it was overrated. I mean it's ok but it's really just a lake. I don't like it as much as driving round the highlands (so many pretty hills ♥) Although that said, I went when it was bucketing with rain and I was too stressed about when my exam results were going to arrive so maybe I should go back when I'm not pacing around the edges of a campsite with my phone in the air trying to get signal.

I'm quite fond of Mull, personally, but I'm biased because there's good diving over there

*cough* Ireland is better
Being a Scotland tourist myself (Dane living in Stirling), I would say:
Edinburgh - for a whole day.
Glasgow - perhaps just half a day? As mentioned, West End is the best part.

Either
a) take the train from Edinburgh to Aberdeen (and then get to Cairngorms National Park). Aberdeen as a city isn't interesting, but the train ride is stunning and Aberdeenshire itself is very nice!
b) go from Glasgow to Loch Lomond. I have visited Loch Lomond a couple of times now and it is BEAUTIFUL.
If you're fit, you can stay in Rowardennan and walk up Ben Lomond in the morning. It's a wonderful view on a clear day ! Also nice walks from Rowardennan. If you just want to walk by the water and walk some small hills, I've stayed in Balmaha. They have a couple of B&B's and one restaurant (which is very good).
On the west coast, I've heard Luss is very nice too.

Quick Reply

Latest