The Student Room Group

Why am I getting spots? 19 Male

I wash my face twice a day, once after waking up and once before bed. I exfoliate twice a week. I go the gym and exercise three times a week. I drink green tea twice a day. So why am I getting pimples on my face? They just keep coming and coming. Every day I'm getting a new one. Why when I take such care of my skin are pimples still coming?

Scroll to see replies

Are you washing your face after you exercise? The sweat might be a factor also a good diet and making sure you don't touch your face is important as well, drink plenty of water and try not to stress as this can cause breakouts.
Reply 2
Original post by kprime2
I wash my face twice a day, once after waking up and once before bed. I exfoliate twice a week. I go the gym and exercise three times a week. I drink green tea twice a day. So why am I getting pimples on my face? They just keep coming and coming. Every day I'm getting a new one. Why when I take such care of my skin are pimples still coming?

Because you're a teenager
Reply 3
But I think I tend to get more when I eat a lot of sugar or am stressed
It should calm down eventually. It still happens to me occasionally at 27 when I get lazy on my diet and/or have a few messy nights out in close proximity.
Reply 5
Original post by Blondie987
Are you washing your face after you exercise? The sweat might be a factor also a good diet and making sure you don't touch your face is important as well, drink plenty of water and try not to stress as this can cause breakouts.

No I just shower after exercise. My diet is decent. I don't touch my face. I drink plenty of water, though I don't know the daily requirement. I'm not even remotely stressed. Do you understand my confusion now?!
Reply 6
Original post by kprime2
No I just shower after exercise. My diet is decent. I don't touch my face. I drink plenty of water, though I don't know the daily requirement. I'm not even remotely stressed. Do you understand my confusion now?!

genes my nig
Reply 7
Genetics are a bitch...
We've been taught that diet doesn't have any influence over spots. You might just grow out of it but if you are worried (or they're over a large area or painful) then go to your GP and they can go from there.
We also were taught that the only proven active ingredient in face products to treat acne is benzoyl peroxide but it can take a while (8 weeks) to take effect. Oh and if your skin is greasy, don't use a cream as this just makes the skin more greasy- use a gel instead.

It's just one of those things I'm afraid!
Reply 9
Original post by kprime2

You need a proper skin care regime, not medication as people are suggesting.

Just washing your face isn't enough. Clean doesn't mean spot free.

Look at the products on http://manface.uk/ and there's a skincare guide to get you started.

This is the sort of thing you might need, and though it looks expensive, it's worth every penny: http://manface.uk/clinique-3-step-skincare-system-2-dry-combination/
Original post by kprime2

Could be a lot of things; hormone imbalances, stress, grease clogging your pores. Nothing to do with sweat like someone already suggested on here.

Go and see your GP, antibiotics usually clear it up. Tea tree oil is meant to be good naturally and so is witch hazel.
It's largely down to genetics. I'm the same as you, so I can understand the frustration. It's true that diet isn't majorly linked, but I've found that I get more spots when I eat a lot of sugary/fatty food (I recently stopped, and my face is clearing up). Sleep is also very important. If you're not getting enough sleep, your face will look like :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:, regardless of how many times you wash/exfoliate (speaking of which, I don't think it's really necessary to exfoliate twice a week, and you'll probably end up aggravating your face, which might lead to more spots)
Reply 12
Original post by TheTechN1304
It's largely down to genetics. I'm the same as you, so I can understand the frustration. It's true that diet isn't majorly linked, but I've found that I get more spots when I eat a lot of sugary/fatty food (I recently stopped, and my face is clearing up). Sleep is also very important. If you're not getting enough sleep, your face will look like :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:, regardless of how many times you wash/exfoliate (speaking of which, I don't think it's really necessary to exfoliate twice a week, and you'll probably end up aggravating your face, which might lead to more spots)

Be nice to the dolphins!
Can confirm that tea tree oil is beneficial, OP.

I scrubbed my bacne with a tea tree oil cleansing shower gel daily and reduced it drastically, although I think face acne and bacne are caused by different bacteria.
There are many causes for spots i.e. your diet, stress and hormonal changes.

You could always book an appointment with your GP and have them run some test to see why you cannot prevent more spots forming. They might want to put you on a treatment plan to help your skin.

Hope this helps ! :smile:
Life.
Original post by dairychocolate
Can confirm that tea tree oil is beneficial, OP.

I scrubbed my bacne with a tea tree oil cleansing shower gel daily and reduced it drastically, although I think face acne and bacne are caused by different bacteria.

Tea tree is an antibiotic I think

Are they both not caused by P.acnes?
Reply 17
Original post by *Stefan*
Genetics are a bitch...

What if I told you that my mum and dad are spot free and didn't get them when they were my age? And that my brother is 21 and his skin is as clear as a new born baby's...
Acnecide - acne spot treatment - really good some face washes make spots worse so watch what you are using, I was using a 'simple' face wash, loads of spots came on my face.
I have so much simpathy with you! I had the same problem and after many years of research I'm starting to have the most amazing skin ever.

What I use:

Daily: Coconut oil with an essential oil.
Weekly: Bakingsoda with coconut oil and essential oils

You need to eat more fats. I've dropped much weight by adding this to my diet. It reduces cortisol (the stress hormone).

The oils reduces the itching by deep cleaning and adding mosture back to your skin.

Magnesium aid in pain reduction that causes persperation and more clogging.

Drink enough vit B.

Reduce your sugar intake to zero if you can...same with refined carbs like bread and pies.

Eat butter in your food and pro-biotika.

I'll write a full article about everything..some day. I think I've solved this mistery...

Quick Reply

Latest