The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by flowerspace
Does anyone else find vectors a hard topic, I find the book isn't very helpful for it because to me the questions don't seem like the ones in the exam paper, or am I missing something? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is a challenging topic. You should try some of the review exercises in the textbook rather than the regular exercises, they can be very helpful.
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
It is a challenging topic. You should try some of the review exercises in the textbook rather than the regular exercises, they can be very helpful.

Ok I will, hopefully it will help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
A smooth pulley means that the tension is the same on either side of the pulley.

A light string means that tension is uniform throughout the string.

Those are two different things.

Okay, I guess that kinda makes sense, I'm still a bit confused do you mind explaining? How is tension being the same on either side different to tension being uniform throughout the string?
Reply 43
Original post by GarlicBread01
Okay, I guess that kinda makes sense, I'm still a bit confused do you mind explaining? How is tension being the same on either side different to tension being uniform throughout the string?

Tension being the same on either side of the pulley, this has nothing to do with the string and everything to do with the pulley. It means that the force pulling from one side of the pulley is the same as the force 'pushing' on the other side of the pulley.

Tension being the same throughout the string has nothing to do with pulleys and everything to do with atrings, it means the tension at any point in the string is the same.
Original post by Zacken
Tension being the same on either side of the pulley, this has nothing to do with the string and everything to do with the pulley. It means that the force pulling from one side of the pulley is the same as the force 'pushing' on the other side of the pulley.

Tension being the same throughout the string has nothing to do with pulleys and everything to do with atrings, it means the tension at any point in the string is the same.

Okay that makes more sense now, thanks !! ^_^
Reply 45
How much revision do people think M1 requires?
Reply 46
Original post by jamestg

Not very much as long as your basics are alright. You just need to smash out a lot of papers these last few weeks.
Reply 47
Not very much as long as your basics are alright. You just need to smash out a lot of papers these last few weeks.

That's what I've been thinking, just a bit worried as a lot of my time is being consumed by History.
Reply 48
Original post by jamestg
That's what I've been thinking, just a bit worried as a lot of my time is being consumed by History.

Don't worry about it too much, I've seen you work hard throughout the year so it'll just be a matter of practice. :yep:
Reply 49
Don't worry about it too much, I've seen you work hard throughout the year so it'll just be a matter of practice. :yep:

I really hope so :colondollar:
Original post by jamestg

I think the key bit is resolving forces (yes, there is a lot of it in M1..) but just being exposed to as many different things as possible (I remember hoping that anything to do with lifts and masses on top of eachother or rings on strings/against a wall etc wouldn't come up in my exam) because.. that's probably the nastiest bit of M1 :s-smilie:. Also be prepared for all of the assumptions that you need to know for 1/2 marks.
Reply 51
Original post by SeanFM
I think the key bit is resolving forces (yes, there is a lot of it in M1..) but just being exposed to as many different things as possible (I remember hoping that anything to do with lifts and masses on top of eachother or rings on strings/against a wall etc wouldn't come up in my exam) because.. that's probably the nastiest bit of M1 :s-smilie:. Also be prepared for all of the assumptions that you need to know for 1/2 marks.

I don't know whether to revise lifts. It came up last year, everyone did :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin: and although it's unlikely I think the examiners might put it in again to see if people have improved.

Gaaah, it's probs best not to guess questions but do solomon/gold papers. They're the worst possible scenarios. I think I need to lower my expectations for M1, it would be great to get 90 but I think low 80s is more realistic :redface:
Original post by jamestg
I don't know whether to revise lifts. It came up last year, everyone did :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin: and although it's unlikely I think the examiners might put it in again to see if people have improved.

Gaaah, it's probs best not to guess questions but do solomon/gold papers. They're the worst possible scenarios. I think I need to lower my expectations for M1, it would be great to get 90 but I think low 80s is more realistic :redface:

Mm, exam spotting is a dangerous game so it's worth looking at everything :tongue:

Just do the best you can :tongue: unless you're doing any other mechanics modules you just need a good grade in M1 and then you can forget about it :tongue: as well as C1 and C2 which are easier than M1 in my opinion
Original post by jamestg

This logic makes no sense since this summer's paper will have been written in the autumn of 2014, before last summer's paper was taken. That doesn't mean that lifts can't turn up though :s-smilie:
Reply 54
What do you guys think will be the paper type this june will it be similar to Jan (easy) or hard
Reply 55
Original post by djmans
What do you guys think will be the paper type this june will it be similar to Jan (easy) or hard

No one will know.

Expect some easy and hard questions!
M1 is awesome! Once you get going you never fall. I am also giving M1 this June.
All that is needed is practice.
Original post by djmans

Bruh! Don't rely on the similarity of the papers just be ready for it and keep practicing. We have upto 1 month, I guess, for M1, so Just practice past past papers and learn managing the given time. You'll have a slow start but when u keep going it'll become easier for u and the given time will also be more for u!
Don't worry bro if u fail getting correct answers until the paper day u'll end up with some extra stuff in ur knowledge! Good luck Bro!!!!!!! Have a nice revision ahead!
Reply 59
Original post by Ahmed3651998
Bruh! Don't rely on the similarity of the papers just be ready for it and keep practicing. We have upto 1 month, I guess, for M1, so Just practice past past papers and learn managing the given time. You'll have a slow start but when u keep going it'll become easier for u and the given time will also be more for u!
Don't worry bro if u fail getting correct answers until the paper day u'll end up with some extra stuff in ur knowledge! Good luck Bro!!!!!!! Have a nice revision ahead!

thx, good luck to you too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending