The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lilGem
my supervisor wants a draft of my whole dissertation in 2 weeks time, but I want it to be a good draft hence the drafts of sections to the Mres student I've been working with :lol:

They really are :h:

What degree/ dissertation are you doing if you don't mind me asking? :h:

I'd struggle to finish everything in 2 weeks!
I'm doing computer networks and security and for my dissertation I have to write a security policy for an SME :smile: how about you?
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
I'd struggle to finish everything in 2 weeks!
I'm doing computer networks and security and for my dissertation I have to write a security policy for an SME :smile: how about you?

I'm getting through it! It's stressful as well as having to prepare a viva and another essay :redface:

I'm doing biological sciences and my dissertation is comparative pharmacology based titled: 'How does prostaglandin E2 modulate purinergic signalling in human monocytes and macrophages?'

It was about 9 weeks collecting data in a lab followed by not too long to write it up :lol:
Can you guys help me!! I'm struggling. I'm not yet on dissertation level but I have to do a research proposal on the topic "Why do people not partake in criminal activity?" and I have to use a supplied template
Okay so huge dissertation progress this week!

I'm 15 pages in overall and I've managed to battle out my introduction and now I'm more than halfway through my word count for my dissertation at a word count of 3718 words!
however, I'm struggling with a paragraph of how to introduce a gap in the knowledge and bring in my project :frown: I've looked at examples but I'm at a loss

I have about 2000 words for my discussion, at the moment I'm on target with doing a section a week and getting a draft done for my supervisors deadline.
Just need to get an essay done as well...and prepare my viva....:cry2: it never ends :frown:
My problem with the project & dissertation is pushing myself to read articles I end up spending around 2 hrs in reading one article is it normal? I spend long time I guess and this make me avoid reading which will affect my dissertation writing progress
Original post by Virologist22
My problem with the project & dissertation is pushing myself to read articles I end up spending around 2 hrs in reading one article is it normal? I spend long time I guess and this make me avoid reading which will affect my dissertation writing progress

Two hours for one article sounds like a long time - are they very lengthy? Are you taking too many notes? Or are you getting distracted?

You need to read widely but sensibly otherwise it will take forever. A good idea is to start with the introduction and conclusion to see if it's relevant for you: if it is, go through it quickly to double check and if it looks good then give it a proper read through while taking notes. When you're taking notes you don't need to write down everything, only the stuff that's absolutely relevant for you and you think you'll use in your dissertation.
No it's not long just 9 pages. I am very slow in reading and I can't motivate myself to just focus 😂
Anyone? :frown:
Original post by Ness'B
Anyone? :frown:

What are you finding difficult in particular....?
Original post by lilGem
Okay so huge dissertation progress this week!

I'm 15 pages in overall and I've managed to battle out my introduction and now I'm more than halfway through my word count for my dissertation at a word count of 3718 words!
however, I'm struggling with a paragraph of how to introduce a gap in the knowledge and bring in my project :frown: I've looked at examples but I'm at a loss

I have about 2000 words for my discussion, at the moment I'm on target with doing a section a week and getting a draft done for my supervisors deadline.
Just need to get an essay done as well...and prepare my viva....:cry2: it never ends :frown:

spoke too soon...I need to have a blood test as there's a fairly high chance I have glandular fever :erm:
Original post by lilGem
spoke too soon...I need to have a blood test as there's a fairly high chance I have glandular fever :erm:

:frown: Make sure you get as much rest as possible. Hopefully it isn't glandular fever but don't overdo it just in case :h:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
:frown: Make sure you get as much rest as possible. Hopefully it isn't glandular fever but don't overdo it just in case :h:

I'm trying to, I just don't want to fall behind :erm: I'm trying to take today off working but it's hard not to look at papers :lol:

I'm hoping it's just a viral infection that'll clear up, otherwise I'll have to work out what to do for exams
Reply 132
Whats the best way to illustrate questionnaire results?
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
What are you finding difficult in particular....?

Omg Puddles can I just message you what it's about it's kinda very long
https://docs.google.com/a/myport.ac.uk/forms/d/1wDaXReiLDSfqbHUp7wVTs4zaFS32_nNnWVyWOD1dtNE/viewform

Need your help 😫 My supervisor wants me to find 150 respondents for my survey and in struggling to get over 40, please help!
Hey

I'm a psych student, I was just wondering whether anyone has had to submit a draft of their dissertation for feedback? I have received feedback for mine but if it's very brief, she just mentions minor errors like spelling and described the dissertation as a whole as being 'really good'.
I just wish I know what grade 'really good' indicates as they're not allowed to tell us what grade we're on track for :frown:.

I'd really appreciate if anyone could help:smile:
Original post by kayleighanna95
Hey

I'm a psych student, I was just wondering whether anyone has had to submit a draft of their dissertation for feedback? I have received feedback for mine but if it's very brief, she just mentions minor errors like spelling and described the dissertation as a whole as being 'really good'.
I just wish I know what grade 'really good' indicates as they're not allowed to tell us what grade we're on track for :frown:.

I'd really appreciate if anyone could help:smile:

I'm allowed to submit a draft dissertation and will be doing so when I return to university...I still have about 2000 words left to write though :erm: I'm not sure what to expect in terms of feedback as I've been submitting drafts to an Mres student who got a first with my supervisor, but he's now been away in New York for 2 weeks and I won't have time to send him a bulk of my dissertation which is what I'm worried about :redface:
I done 7500 of my 8000 which is due in in three weeks time, almost done and then I got the editing process but am fairly happy with it so far. At my university we only allowed to show our supervisor around 2000 words of our dissertation for them too look over, am yet to do this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows of theories that could help with analysing the economic impact of London 2012?

Ive just got my conclusion to write now but my supervisor has suggested adding in some more theory to help support my concluding remarks and recommendations. My four themes are legacy, employment, tourism & re-urbanisation.

Any help would be greatly appreicated
Do you guys really read all your references? Like..if something you have read tells you about it and references it..do you just put the original reference in rather than saying the whole '(x cited in y)'? Don't get me wrong I do try and read the majority of the original sources, but there's one or two dotted in my diss that I really don't have the time to read :|

Latest