The Student Room Group
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee

Help! Dundee university accommodation

Hi all, first time poster here :smile:I've received a conditional offer from Dundee and I've decided it's is definitely my first choice. I'm now beginning my application for accommodation and I'm little unsure of which to apply for, at the moment I'm torn between Belmont Tower and West Park Villas. I'm drawn to these two as they appear sociable, the standards of the room seem fairly decent but most importantly they are cheaper than Belmont Flats/Heathfield.

Any advice or recommendations? In short, I'd like somewhere that's sociable, fairly cheap and of a decent standard. Thanks! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MarbleFox
Hi all, first time poster here :smile:I've received a conditional offer from Dundee and I've decided it's is definitely my first choice. I'm now beginning my application for accommodation and I'm little unsure of which to apply for, at the moment I'm torn between Belmont Tower and West Park Villas. I'm drawn to these two as they appear sociable, the standards of the room seem fairly decent but most importantly they are cheaper than Belmont Flats/Heathfield.

Any advice or recommendations? In short, I'd like somewhere that's sociable, fairly cheap and of a decent standard. Thanks! :biggrin:

Hi :h: Firstly congrats on your offer!! That's brilliant what would you be studying?

I saw that you were wondering about accommodation that's social and of a good standard, so I thought I'd let you know about our accommodation in Dundee! We have a building called Marketgait, it has an on-site games and common room that's really social with the other residents and the all inclusive rents mean you'd not have to worry about bills :tongue: Why not take a look at our website? http://www.collegiate-ac.com/uk-student-accommodation/dundee/marketgait-apartments

But well done! Good look for the future as well!

Amelia x :redface:
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
Well done on the offer!Downside to West Park is that it is about a 20 minute walk away from campus and 30 minutes from town while Belmont tower is right on campus. In my experience no one used the common rooms so I wouldn't really factor that in. You could also try the hub, which is much cheaper than uni halls, still live with fresher's and be right next to campus.
Everywhere in Dundee is sociable really :smile:
Any more questions feel free to message

Hey! Congratulations on your offer! What is it to study?
I firmly accepted my offer back in December and I'm just wondering when you heard back about applying and whether I have to wait for some kind of e-mail or if there's a way I can just get on with it now, I know its only March but want to get my preferences in ASAP!

Also, imho, Belmont sounds much better; opposite the union and relatively cheap so whats not to love? :smile:
Reply 4
How long did it take you to get the email about applying for accommodation?
I accepted my offer as my firm choice in December last year and I haven't heard anything from them, which is a little bit worrying - I haven't had anything since they sent on to say congratulations on getting an offer and they didn't send anything when I accepted the offer :/

I'm going for Seabraes when I can though, I need somewhere to park my car and West Park is too far away/I'm too lazy
Reply 5
Sorry about the slow reply, been a bit busy and I kept forgetting to reply :redface: I haven't actually received an email about booking my accommodation yet, I assumed I would receive it within a couple of days of accepting them as my firm offer. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and I'll let you know how I get on!

I'll be studying English and Creative Writing, how about you? :smile:
Reply 6
A note about accommodation:

On campus accommodation is horrendously noisy. Music starts there from about 6pm most nights and it continues until early hours; I always hear it as I walk to the gym.

I live in Seabraes and I'm not a fan. I asked for a quiet flat and I didn't get one unfortunately.

Westpark is 30 minutes away, so yeah, enjoy walking. :h:

The fees are not nice. It's OTT, seriously, for what you get.
Reply 7
@Airmed, any alternative you could recommend?
Sorry about the slow reply, been a bit busy and I kept forgetting to reply :redface: I haven't actually received an email about booking my accommodation yet, I assumed I would receive it within a couple of days of accepting them as my firm offer. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and I'll let you know how I get on!

I'll be studying English and Creative Writing, how about you? :smile:

Hey did you manage to get through to them about accommodation ? I firmed Dundee few weeks ago now and still nothing nor any formal letter of acceptance from Dundee (I got an unconditional) So I was wondering if you managed to get in touch with them :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by vdundee
@Airmed, any alternative you could recommend?

There is the Hub but it's around £105 a week. There is also Parker House from £101 a week but I know no one there.

There is also Old Mill and Keiller Court, but they're apparently not the best either. Run down and small beds. :s-smilie:

Accommodation is better in your second year though. I can't wait to move into my flat in August.
Reply 10
x

Original post by drew48
x

Original post by guzz6
x

Accommodation didn't open until April last year. I didn't apply until the 14th April myself. It all depends when you get the email.
Original post by Airmed
Accommodation didn't open until April last year. I didn't apply until the 14th April myself. It all depends when you get the email.

Ahh right I see ! Thanks for that :smile:
Also would you mind telling me which halls are better belmont or heathfield and if possible say what rhe difference between them is. Thank you very much :h:
Reply 12
Original post by guzz6
Also would you mind telling me which halls are better belmont or heathfield and if possible say what rhe difference between them is. Thank you very much :h:

I live in Seabraes and have only been in a Belmont flat once. As far as I know, they're near identical really. Belmont Tower is cheaper than Belmont Flats though.
Reply 13
I'm back and Airmed is spot on :smile: I called and was told they hope to send out the emails in the next two weeks, hope that helps x
Reply 14
I'm back and Airmed is spot on :smile: I called and was told they hope to send out the emails in the next two weeks, hope that helps x

I'm waiting myself too, I have to apply to stay up in Belmont or Heathfield for the summer as I am not going home. So I can tell you all what it is like in the nice on campus flats!
Original post by guzz6

Heathfield flats typically have a slightly larger kitchen/living space than belmont, and can be slightly quieter since belmont is directly next to the union (depending on which flat you get there). Both are built aorund a massive courtyard so you'll alway be getting drunken people traffic on tuesdays/fridays/saturdays so there isn't really a noise difference. Very little difference at all really apart from the bigger kitchen haha. Both are built and furnished in exactly the same way!

I lived in belmont and had quite a few friends in heathfield. They are both a lot nicer than the tower but obviously slightly more expensive. West park is exactly the same and belmont and heathfield too, the only difference is the distance away! But if you're happy walking or with a bike the distance is nothing at all. In the evenings/nights there's a free minibus that can shuttle you from West Park to the campus and vice versa, so if you're staying on campus late there's an easy option home!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Airmed
I'm waiting myself too, I have to apply to stay up in Belmont or Heathfield for the summer as I am not going home. So I can tell you all what it is like in the nice on campus flats!

Original post by Bethan996
Heathfield flats typically have a slightly larger kitchen/living space than belmont, and can be slightly quieter since belmont is directly next to the union (depending on which flat you get there). Both are built aorund a massive courtyard so you'll alway be getting drunken people traffic on tuesdays/fridays/saturdays so there isn't really a noise difference. Very little difference at all really apart from the bigger kitchen haha. Both are built and furnished in exactly the same way!

I lived in belmont and had quite a few friends in heathfield. They are both a lot nicer than the tower but obviously slightly more expensive. West park is exactly the same and belmont and heathfield too, the only difference is the distance away! But if you're happy walking or with a bike the distance is nothing at all. In the evenings/nights there's a free minibus that can shuttle you from West Park to the campus and vice versa, so if you're staying on campus late there's an easy option home!

Hey guys, I know its been quite a time ago now that you've posted.. But I was wondering would you be able to say where abouts flats 1-7 are in heathfield ? I just wanted to find out where about the block is but cant find a way to visualise it hahaha. Like I mean is it at the very back of heathfield or in front from like old hawkhill road ? Thank you so much :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by guzz6
Hey guys, I know its been quite a time ago now that you've posted.. But I was wondering would you be able to say where abouts flats 1-7 are in heathfield ? I just wanted to find out where about the block is but cant find a way to visualise it hahaha. Like I mean is it at the very back of heathfield or in front from like old hawkhill road ? Thank you so much :biggrin:

Hiya,

I can always check tomorrow or Sunday for you (I am in Dundee and I am moving up to Belmont tomorrow for the summer) but I would assume that it is at the front, Old Hawkhill Road.
Original post by Airmed
Hiya,

I can always check tomorrow or Sunday for you (I am in Dundee and I am moving up to Belmont tomorrow for the summer) but I would assume that it is at the front, Old Hawkhill Road.

Aww you'd be an absolute gem if you could - though only do it when you're not busy ! Don't want to burden you. But see I assumed so as well but then some google map thing shows it at the back from like hawkhill road from the roundabout (if that makes sense)... So I was wondering cause I want to see where abouts my block will be ahahaha
Reply 19
Original post by guzz6
Aww you'd be an absolute gem if you could - though only do it when you're not busy ! Don't want to burden you. But see I assumed so as well but then some google map thing shows it at the back from like hawkhill road from the roundabout (if that makes sense)... So I was wondering cause I want to see where abouts my block will be ahahaha

Not a problem at all! Ah, see, this here. On the left is the office where you pick up the keys. I think flats 1-7 is on the same side, just a little further down.

Quick Reply

Latest