The Student Room Group

Rayleigh's criterion with two wavelengths...?

Hi everyone,

A question we've been set is incredibly vague and I have no idea where to start. It says, "A source emits light with two monochromatic components of wave-lengths λ1 = 510.50 nm and λ2 = 510.90 nm. Using the Rayleigh criterion, find the minimum number of slits of a grating that must be illuminated by a beam from the source in order to resolve these components."

So it says to use Rayleigh, but there are two wavelengths...? I tried setting the equation with λ1 and λ2 on each side equal to each other by assuming D was the same in both, but now there are still two unknowns in terms of angles - 1.22λ1θ1=1.22λ2θ2\frac{1.22\lambda_1}{\theta_1} = \frac{1.22\lambda_2}{\theta_2}. Then I worked out the resolving power using the formula for diffraction gratings, but I don't know the order the light is received in (m) or N, so again there's two unknowns.

I can't find anything about this in the textbook or online. I'd really appreciate help here.
Reply 1
Original post by velkyr
Hi everyone,

A question we've been set is incredibly vague and I have no idea where to start. It says, "A source emits light with two monochromatic components of wave-lengths λ1 = 510.50 nm and λ2 = 510.90 nm. Using the Rayleigh criterion, find the minimum number of slits of a grating that must be illuminated by a beam from the source in order to resolve these components."

So it says to use Rayleigh, but there are two wavelengths...? I tried setting the equation with λ1 and λ2 on each side equal to each other by assuming D was the same in both, but now there are still two unknowns in terms of angles - 1.22λ1θ1=1.22λ2θ2\frac{1.22\lambda_1}{\theta_1} = \frac{1.22\lambda_2}{\theta_2}. Then I worked out the resolving power using the formula for diffraction gratings, but I don't know the order the light is received in (m) or N, so again there's two unknowns.

I can't find anything about this in the textbook or online. I'd really appreciate help here.

Have you tried simultaneous equations?

Like:

1.22lambda1/theta1 = 1.22lambda2/theta

and 1.22lambda1theta2/1.22lambda2theta1 = 1

Would that work?
Reply 2
Original post by Kyx
Have you tried simultaneous equations?

Like:

1.22lambda1/theta1 = 1.22lambda2/theta

and 1.22lambda1theta2/1.22lambda2theta1 = 1

Would that work?

But... those two equations are exactly equivalent anyway. There would have to be a separate equation with different multiples of the same unknown variables to solve simultaneously?
Reply 3
Original post by velkyr
But... those two equations are exactly equivalent anyway. There would have to be a separate equation with different multiples of the same unknown variables to solve simultaneously?

I was thinking that :frown:

Then IDK :frown:
Original post by velkyr
Hi everyone,

Well if you just considered it for each individual wavelength, you could presumably get the minimum number of slits to resolve that wavelength. Then i would assume you would just pick the bigger number of slits of those 2 as you need to be able to resolve both wavelengths
Reply 5
Original post by samb1234
Well if you just considered it for each individual wavelength, you could presumably get the minimum number of slits to resolve that wavelength. Then i would assume you would just pick the bigger number of slits of those 2 as you need to be able to resolve both wavelengths

Okay that seems to be the way forward, but I still have a lot of unknowns. In Rayleigh, if I were to consider each wavelength separately, I don't know the corresponding angle or the diameter of aperture (nor do I know what the relevance of an aperture is to diffraction grating...) In the resolution equation I can actually use to find N, I still don't know the order of light. So while I would like to follow through on this idea I have no clue how to.
Reply 6
We have the wavelengths. We need to use the same diffraction grating to make the angles of the different wavelengths considerably different. Am I correct?
Reply 7
Maybe simultaneous equations with the Rayleigh and the lambda = dsintheta/n equation?
Reply 8
Original post by Kyx
Maybe simultaneous equations with the Rayleigh and the lambda = dsintheta/n equation?

Sounds like a good idea. I'll give it a go for one of the wavelengths and see if it works.

EDIT: never mind... trying to solve with there being a sin term (and only one sin term, in one equation) is making them impossible to solve from my standpoint.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by velkyr
Sounds like a good idea. I'll give it a go for one of the wavelengths and see if it works.

EDIT: never mind... trying to solve with there being a sin term (and only one sin term, in one equation) is making them impossible to solve from my standpoint.

ah well...

gl :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Kyx
ah well...

gl :smile:

I asked around at Physicsforums and it turned out as simple as using the resolution equation and assuming that m must be 1 because that's the brightest light you can receive. The answer turned out to be 1277.

Thank you for your help anyway ^^
Reply 11
Original post by velkyr
I asked around at Physicsforums and it turned out as simple as using the resolution equation and assuming that m must be 1 because that's the brightest light you can receive. The answer turned out to be 1277.

Thank you for your help anyway ^^

OK :smile:

All's well that ends well

Quick Reply

Latest