The Student Room Group

Are uni fees going up?

I have been told that uni fees are going to rise to around £12,000 next year and the maintenance grant will be scrapped. Does anybody know if this is true? and also if i started uni in 2015 paying the usual 9 grand, will this continue if i change uni for my second year, but still doing the same course? Thank you
I've heard something about the maintenance grant but nothing about the fees? I'm about to apply end of this year so I'm worried now, it's going to be so expensive and as for changing universities, it will depend on what they charge. They might charge those starting in 2016 as opposed to 2015 because the fees weren't hiked then. Honestly, I'm worried now.
Original post by Rhythmical
I've heard something about the maintenance grant but nothing about the fees? I'm about to apply end of this year so I'm worried now, it's going to be so expensive and as for changing universities, it will depend on what they charge. They might charge those starting in 2016 as opposed to 2015 because the fees weren't hiked then. Honestly, I'm worried now.

From what I remember reading on BBC News (I think) the government is planning to 'allow' high-status universities to increase their tuition fees, because muh neo-liberal market I suppose.

I tried to find the article but couldn't so this may be speculation, but then again, speculation of this sort generally has some element of truth to it.
Original post by popcornjpg
From what I remember reading on BBC News (I think) the government is planning to 'allow' high-status universities to increase their tuition fees, because muh neo-liberal market I suppose.

I tried to find the article but couldn't so this may be speculation, but then again, speculation of this sort generally has some element of truth to it.

Wow, I was going to apply to KCL but now I'm re thinking that. Does that mean ex polys could reduce their fees to justify what they offer as opposed to higher status universities? If that happens then non RG unis and ex polys could see admissions rise or people simply choosing apprenticeships over university.
Original post by Rhythmical
Wow, I was going to apply to KCL but now I'm re thinking that. Does that mean ex polys could reduce their fees to justify what they offer as opposed to higher status universities? If that happens then non RG unis and ex polys could see admissions rise or people simply choosing apprenticeships over university.

Almost certainly no. I think this may be just a rumour though because it doesn't make sense at all and is not in line with their neo-liberal policies in the sense that, if they don't allow lower-status universities to adjust their tuition fees as well, people will just start flocking to lower-status universities and weakening higher-status universities. It's very contradictory. I suppose their reasoning may be that the higher status universities are always over-subscribed, regardless of tuition fees, so this will help them improve (not to mention it will provide Osborne with a way to cut public spending).
Original post by popcornjpg
Almost certainly no. I think this may be just a rumour though because it doesn't make sense at all and is not in line with their neo-liberal policies in the sense that, if they don't allow lower-status universities to adjust their tuition fees as well, people will just start flocking to lower-status universities and weakening higher-status universities. It's very contradictory. I suppose their reasoning may be that the higher status universities are always over-subscribed, regardless of tuition fees, so this will help them improve (not to mention it will provide Osborne with a way to cut public spending).

Thanks for informing me, I'll keep on the look out for more information as it concerns me so I'm nervous because I'll probably end up living away from home. Would this apply to international students? But then again their fees aren't automatically set at normal prices, Oxford and Cambridge are different in terms of the costs, I believe Oxford is cheaper.
I think I heard somewhere they were going to go up by inflation. Currently, if you started in 2012, you paid £9k and they've not gone up since. Whereas for those of us who started before, (when they were about £3k) they went up by inflation each year.
Reply 7
Original post by RosieSheree
I have been told that uni fees are going to rise to around £12,000 next year and the maintenance grant will be scrapped. Does anybody know if this is true? and also if i started uni in 2015 paying the usual 9 grand, will this continue if i change uni for my second year, but still doing the same course? Thank you

The Maintenance Grant has effectively already been scrapped. It will no longer be given to students who start drgrees from Sep 2016. The Maintenance Loan has been increased to take account of this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending