The Student Room Group

AMA - 16 year old girl with an eating disorder

Scroll to see replies

What's your BMI?
Original post by elen90
Just a fairly frequent glitch on TSR. 01-01-1970 is the Unix epoch and all that.

omg finally someone that knows :love:
Original post by Anonymous
What's your BMI?

As of my weight last Sunday, 17.4
As of my weight last Sunday, 17.4

Honey, you're underweight and what you're doing is dangerous. I hope you are getting help. You don't have to do this to yourself xx

EDIT: Are you aiming to get down to a certain weight/BMI? Because if you lose much more it will really threaten your health/life.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Platopus
Honey, you're underweight and what you're doing is dangerous. I hope you are getting help. You don't have to do this to yourself xx

EDIT: Are you aiming to get down to a certain weight/BMI? Because if you lose much more it will really threaten your health/life.

It's okay please don't worry about me! Honestly, I am aiming to get to a certain weight, but I'm not there yet. If you saw me you'd never think I had an underweight BMI.
A banana at quarter to nine this morning :banana:

Oh sweetie, arn't you starving? You are not fat!!! Don't let anybody tell you otherwise!!!
It's okay please don't worry about me! Honestly, I am aiming to get to a certain weight, but I'm not there yet. If you saw me you'd never think I had an underweight BMI.

I don't want to make assumptions but you probably aren't seeing yourself as you appear to other people. Why do you want to lose weight? What bmi would you have at that "certain weight" if you don't mind me asking?
Drinks - only ever water and herbal tea (if sweetened, with truvia). I drink a lot of water and tea!

Food - I'm vegan, so that makes me feel a lot safer in the food I eat. And then, more carb based foods rather than fatty or sugary foods. And I feel a lot better eating fruit and veg and carbs than I do eating processed vegan food. I typically eat at least a banana a day, no food on a good day, but most days it'll be a banana/other fruit item plus some of whatever my family is having for tea.

have you tried stuff like ensure and fortisip to help maintain your nutrition? (low volume liquid ideal for patients with dysphagia / anorexia)

ps anorexia in my sense is loss of appetite; the disorder is anorexia nervosa
Oh sweetie, arn't you starving? You are not fat!!! Don't let anybody tell you otherwise!!!

I'm okay. I'm having some dinner in a minute :smile:
I don't want to make assumptions but you probably aren't seeing yourself as you appear to other people. Why do you want to lose weight? What bmi would you have at that "certain weight" if you don't mind me asking?

I don't know. I just don't understand how anyone could see me any differently. I want to lose weight because I don't feel satisfied with how I am, and it makes me feel satisfied when I weigh a little less each week. I just put my ideal weight in the BMI calculator, and apparently it's 14.7. But BMI isn't always the most reliable value of health, I guess.
Original post by quasa
have you tried stuff like ensure and fortisip to help maintain your nutrition? (low volume liquid ideal for patients with dysphagia / anorexia)

ps anorexia in my sense is loss of appetite; the disorder is anorexia nervosa

I've never really looked into it since I thought it was something people in recovery used to regain weight.

I just call it anorexia for ease and understanding! I completely understand that technically anorexia is not the disorder name.
I've never really looked into it since I thought it was something people in recovery used to regain weight.

I just call it anorexia for ease and understanding! I completely understand that technically anorexia is not the disorder name.

my apologies for the technicalities :laugh: but yeah, you can take stuff like fortisip, ensure, etc... irregardless of looking to maintain, gain or lose weight. they are literally nutritional supplements / substitutions. It is worth checking over with a GP/psychiatrist/therapist/dietitian to determine more about it (I would say ask a pharmacist, but they would require additional training to provide more info apart from the contents of the liquids, how many calories/fat/carbs/proteins etc)
Original post by quasa
my apologies for the technicalities :laugh: but yeah, you can take stuff like fortisip, ensure, etc... irregardless of looking to maintain, gain or lose weight. they are literally nutritional supplements / substitutions. It is worth checking over with a GP/psychiatrist/therapist/dietitian to determine more about it (I would say ask a pharmacist, but they would require additional training to provide more info apart from the contents of the liquids, how many calories/fat/carbs/proteins etc)

I don't know I'm a little scared of going to a GP about this sort of stuff. Is it no cal then? What's the difference between taking that and taking multivitamins?
I don't know I'm a little scared of going to a GP about this sort of stuff. Is it no cal then? What's the difference between taking that and taking multivitamins?

if your scared about seeing your gp, you might want to consider seeking counselling from somewhere like MIND or other avenues.

the stuff isnt no cal (its the opposite instead) but it is formulated with things to help replace what you would get from food.
multivitamins just contain different vitamins and maybe minerals and fatty acids, otherwise are not a dietary substitute.
Anorexia.

I can relate to being Anorexic 2 years ago weighing at 48kg at 5'9.5/5'10.

I'm weighing at 69kg at 5'9.5-5'10 2 years later :smile:

Just want to say it does get better :jumphug:
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
I can relate to being Anorexic 2 years ago weighing at 48kg at 5'9.5/5'10.

I'm weighing at 69kg at 5'9.5-5'10 2 years later :smile:

Just want to say it does get better :jumphug:

Thank you!! I know you're trying to be reassuring but it would be more reassuring to hear how other aspects of your life have improved, if you know what I mean, because right now weight gain is the scariest aspect of 'getting better' for me! Does this make any sense?
I don't know. I just don't understand how anyone could see me any differently. I want to lose weight because I don't feel satisfied with how I am, and it makes me feel satisfied when I weigh a little less each week. I just put my ideal weight in the BMI calculator, and apparently it's 14.7. But BMI isn't always the most reliable value of health, I guess.

That's not a healthy goal at all (as I'm sure you know). How long have you been feeling like this now? I hope there is someone you can talk to about this. Losing weight is not the solution to your problems,
Thank you!! I know you're trying to be reassuring but it would be more reassuring to hear how other aspects of your life have improved, if you know what I mean, because right now weight gain is the scariest aspect of 'getting better' for me! Does this make any sense?

Well to name a few ... I've gained strength, put on a fair amount of muscle,
have more energy to do daily tasks and most importantly I'm comfortable with how
my body looks more than ever I.e body composition.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm okay. I'm having some dinner in a minute :smile:

Good for you!!
That's not a healthy goal at all (as I'm sure you know). How long have you been feeling like this now? I hope there is someone you can talk to about this. Losing weight is not the solution to your problems,

I've been feeling dissatisfied with myself all my life, but only in my teenage years have I decided to act upon in. I know deep down that losing weight won't solve all my problems but it makes me feel good in the short term.

Quick Reply

Latest