The Student Room Group

Edexcel IAL, Unit 5: Transition Metals and Organic Nitrogen Chemistry. 22-Jun-2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by therecovery
Alright guys. My plan for tommorow is to do all the electrochemical and redox chemistry questions in my past paper book. Ill be referring my tut in questions which I get stuck and im planning to finish as much as possible by tommorow.
What do you guys think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good idea!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
thanks guys <3
its a good practice. im going to do this for all subjects.
but for the ial papers i wont do this strat.
instead, ill do the entire paper
Reply 22
Original post by thymolphthalein
I did the exams last year. :smile:

Dropping by to post some notes I made back then. Hopefully, they're of some help.

Unit 5:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwBWX8dVcLhpfnF0WmN1anVtaERzbmRJckp3c0NfbHZSNFdrRDgzQm9IVzZHYlhVeHRxQWc

Since U5 is synoptic, I also included organic/inorganic tests from AS.

These are AMAZING. I hope you got the grade you deserved.
i did the exams last year. :smile:

dropping by to post some notes i made back then. Hopefully, they're of some help.

Unit 5:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0bwbwx8dvclhpfnf0wmn1anvtaerzbmrjckp3c0nfbhzsnfdrrdgzqm9ivzzhylhvehrxqwc

since u5 is synoptic, i also included organic/inorganic tests from as.

ty so much!!
I did the exams last year. :smile:

Dropping by to post some notes I made back then. Hopefully, they're of some help.

Unit 5:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwBWX8dVcLhpfnF0WmN1anVtaERzbmRJckp3c0NfbHZSNFdrRDgzQm9IVzZHYlhVeHRxQWc

Since U5 is synoptic, I also included organic/inorganic tests from AS.

sank yew :3
guys, i have a few questions:questions related to the dichromate(VI) breath analyzer:

1)If a current is caused, how does it occur?
2) Is an ammeter present in the analyzer?
3) why is the method inaccurate?

questions related to fuel cell breath analyzer

1) why is it more accurate compared to dichromate analyzer?
2) why does it contain many errors?

can someone explain to me how a infrared breath analyzer works?thanks ^.^
1)If a current is caused, how does it occur? Current doesn't occur, in this breathalyser, there is potassium dichromate, with sulfuric acid on a silicon metal, so when a person who drank alcohol breath in the sealed tube, ethanol from the breath will react with dichromate ions and is oxidised to ethanoic acid while the dichromate ions are reduced to Cr3+
2) Is an ammeter present in the analyzer? No

3) why is the method inaccurate?
Because the dichromate ions crystals who are reduced to Cr3+ ions crystals have changed colour, the crystals have changed colour from orange to green ( not all the crystals, just the amount reduced) so we measure the length of the crystals to estimate the conc of ethanol found so it's inaccurate
questions related to fuel cell breath analyzer

1) why is it more accurate compared to dichromate analyzer? Because there is a voltage value that tells you about the conc of ethanol which is much more accurate than measuring the length of crystals

2) why does it contain many errors? It doesn't produce a printout for the results so it cannot bs used as an evidence in court so that's why the alcoholic person who appears his ethanol conc in breath is above the limit is taken to the police station to take the breath test again but this time, the breath is entered IR spectrum

can someone explain to me how a infrared breath analyzer works? The person breaths into IR spectrum and the results are printed out immediately. From the printout which shows the transmission of each bond with it's wavelength. We see the transmission of C-H bond, the higher the transmission, the more ethanol found

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 27
does a thread exist for normal A level not IAL
Original post by C0balt

I guess no

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt

you can still post doubts, you know.
*deleted*
Reply 31
Original post by therecovery
you can still post doubts, you know.

Nah I don't have any doubts, I was just wondering for post exam chat and things
Hey, revising Transition metals/ Inorganic right now.
Was wandering what colour [Cr (H20)6]3+ is.
Is is Green or Ruby?
Book says Green and Chem revise says both Ruby and Green. Are both fine?
Hope the chef revisions going well. What do you guys need to get into your firm?
Reply 33
It's definitely Green!
Forget the Chem revise suggestion of Ruby. :biggrin:
The Transition Metals can get confusing at times, even while revising!
Chef revisions? :K:
Chem* i was tired:colondollar:
Hey guys, I just wanted to ask where is everyone with their revision. I've just finished my notes and hope to read through them then start past papers soon. Am i behind?
Reply 36
Original post by DonPedrodoc
Hey guys, I just wanted to ask where is everyone with their revision. I've just finished my notes and hope to read through them then start past papers soon. Am i behind?

Nope! I've only done 2-3 Unit 5 past papers so you're alright.

Yeah you're alright, I am still finishing my notes and I have to read through them then start past papers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38

I would highly recommend you to start doing past papers ASAP!
Refer your notes when required and they will start making sense.

You'll remember the notes, you've already made, better this way too :wink:
Reply 39
What are people finding to be the hardest topic in chem5?
IMO T metals are just horrible, so damn fiddly and so much stuff to learn....
Am finding other topics such as REDOX pretty easy though tbh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending