The Student Room Group

Getting to Cambridge: STEP by STEP!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
It's not like there is 0 degree of mathematical ability involved...at least, when considering reasonable timescales/workloads. Perhaps most people could get an S eventually, and with enough work, but having ability dramatically reduces the amount of practice required. But I do agree that practice is a big part of STEP and to pretend otherwise is silly. Also most people who are in a position of needing STEP will doubtless have the ability anyway.

Yes, I somewhat agree with what you are saying. However, by "natural mathematical ability" I am referring to what Duke Glacia initially commented on. He stated that Zacken was able to get a grade S because of his "good genes" which I completely disagree. It is true that some people may be born with better problem-solving abilities than others, but that is not significant enough to count on Zacken's mathematical success. He loves mathematics, and this passion is what led him to his success; not just because he was born with a 'problem-solving brain'.

Also, most people do STEP because they love mathematics, so that also links with your point that most people who do STEP already have a a mathematical ability.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Insight314
Yes, I somewhat agree with what you are saying. However, by "natural mathematical ability" I am referring to what Duke Glacia initially commented on. He stated that Zacken was able to get a grade S because of his "good genes" which I completely disagree. It is true that some people may be born with better problem-solving abilities than others, but that is not significant enough to count on Zacken's mathematical success. He loves mathematics, and this passion is what led him to his success; not just because he was born with a 'problem-solving brain'.

Also, most people do STEP because they love mathematics, so that also links with your point that most people who do STEP already have a a mathematical ability.

Posted from TSR Mobile

chill, i know its his hard work and interest that has driven him this far. And the same applies to most of us writing STEP. :redface:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Duke Glacia
chill, i know its his hard work and interest that has driven him this far. And the same applies to most of us writing STEP. :redface:

I am just trying not to make this thread a "Zacken circle jerking" thread but continue with it being a "Zacken's road to Cambridge" thread.

The same applies to Cambridge Offer-Holder's thread. There is no need to circle jerk ourselves for being able to get a Cambridge offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
He got a Grade 2 on the STEP I exam last year. I am not trying to belittle him but I am starting to become annoyed with people thinking that intelligence is fixed or that you can't get better in STEP by just practicing questions. I was actually privately messaged by an aspiring Mathmo who told me that he is 'scared' of STEP because some people on the STEP prep thread have been saying that STEP requires natural mathematical ability to get a high grade on it. This is a bit out of context, we discussed other stuff, but he really wasn't sure if he could get a Grade 1 when he currently gets 'scared' by STEP questions; he is applying next year. So I had to direct him to the main post of STEP prep thread, where shamika readily discusses this issue that many people have, mainly that some kind of 'genius' is required to be good at STEP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really hope you know I wasn't being serious when I said "he prob could [get an S as a toddler]"...
I am just trying not to make this thread a "Zacken circle jerking" thread but continue with it being a "Zacken's road to Cambridge" thread.

The same applies to Cambridge Offer-Holder's thread. There is no need to circle jerk ourselves for being able to get a Cambridge offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also refers to a pompous, self-congratulatory discussion where little to no progress is made.

is this what ur talking abt. No one said they arent making progress. Even u and Zacken and everone is making progress.

No one is circle-jerkin m8:h:

but to me y'all are inspiration.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Student403
I really hope you know I wasn't being serious when I said "he prob could [get an S as a toddler]"...

Of course I know :biggrin:. I was just saying stuff that had to be said no matter if you were being serious or not.

Also, when I asked Duke Glacia that question, I was referring to how some people think that intelligence is fixed, and so by replying in that way, you supported that point.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ERMAGEHD U wer jokin?! :eek3:
Of course I know :biggrin:. I was just saying stuff that had to be said no matter if you were being serious or not.

Also, when I asked Duke Glacia that question, I was referring to how some people think that intelligence is fixed, and so by replying in that way, you supported that point.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No - if it was a joke (which it was), then it doesn't mean I think intelligence is fixed. There's a difference between aptitude and intelligence and I acknowledge that.
Also refers to a pompous, self-congratulatory discussion where little to no progress is made.

is this what ur talking abt. No one said they arent making progress. Even u and Zacken and everone is making progress.

No one is circle-jerkin m8:h:

but to me y'all are inspiration.

No, no. I am referring to a thread where people go to so they feel better about themselves, I can't really explain it to be honest. For example, if the Offer-Holders thread was a circle jerk, we would all go there to talk about how elite Cambridge is and how 'intelligent' we are. Now, I am not saying Zacken's thread or Cambridge OH thread are like that, but I am just trying not to make people think they are. Like I gave the example of the person who contacted me about STEP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No - if it was a joke (which it was), then it doesn't mean I think intelligence is fixed. There's a difference between aptitude and intelligence and I acknowledge that.

And I am saying that I understood in the first place that it is a joke.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1610
Everybody chill out and go try this. :lol:
I don't think intelligence is fixed. I am much dumber and slower than I have been in the past.
Though I do wonder if more average mathematicians would do OK with STEP if put through a gruelling Chinese-like system :holmes:.

There is at least a little aptitude :wink:.
No, no. I am referring to a thread where people go to so they feel better about themselves, I can't really explain it to be honest. For example, if the Offer-Holders thread was a circle jerk, we would all go there to talk about how elite Cambridge is and how 'intelligent' we are. Now, I am not saying Zacken's thread or Cambridge OH thread are like that, but I am just trying not to make people think they are. Like I gave the example of the person who contacted me about STEP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

agreed. TSR is there to help. Tbh i was also got scared initially by how everyone could solve STEP 3(while i was struggling to get started),

You mean he didn't? :eek:
agreed. TSR is there to help. Tbh i was also got scared initially by how everyone could solve STEP 3(while i was struggling to get started),

TSR is very bad for the psyche. Irl, a lot of people consider me smart. And I come on here and people 3 years my junior are solving problems with alien symbols. Even the stuff with things I recognise like Indeterminate's integrals are inaccessible and it makes me feel rubbish.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Everybody chill out and go try this. :lol:

I have a question about the closed form of the integral of tanx\sqrt{\tan x} but my PC has no internet and writing the latex would be a struggle. I might send it in a bit. Here or STEP thread?

Also, I hope you don't think I was belittling you in my last posts. You are an inspiration, and even a teacher to me. :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kvothe the arcane

TSR is very bad for the psyche. Irl, a lot of people consider me smart. And I come on here and people 3 years my junior are solving problems with alien symbols. Even the stuff with things I recognise like Indeterminate's integrals are inaccessible and it makes me feel rubbish.

^ suh true ;-;
Original post by Zacken
STEP III, 2006:

Time: 3 hours
Mark: 107/120

Got this one marked by somebody else:

Not bad. STEP II 2007 soon.

And you doubt your Cam place. :lol:
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
You mean he didn't? :eek:

Zain did his first STEP question when I was learning C1...............
Reply 1618
Too much of yourselves bashing yourselves. We're all on equal footing here and meant to be spurring and encouraging each other, not pulling yourselves down or putting other people up!
Zain did his first STEP question when I was learning C1...............

Oh my God, now that I think about it.. :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending