The Student Room Group

Would you recommend any gcse's?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by caitlinford3
A language & I find geography really interesting! :smile:

I wouldn't personally recommend RE, most people hate it, including myself

Triple science looks good & is a bump up if you want to do science at A-level (because people who do double award don't cover as much content) - just make sure to actually listen in science if you do triple & do all your homework! I wish I did in year 10 but I didn't so now I'm repaying for it having to teach myself all 54 topic :smile:

thanks for the help :smile:
100% triple science, its a lot to know but can really benefit you and i think its great because i did triple but didn't want to do science a level and now i do! but if i dropped it for double i wouldn't be able to be in this position!

If you're academic i would definitely also choose Geography and History as those would be able to give you a vary varied "high brow" gcse results. It may be quite challenging with the revision load but it looks better when applying to sixth forms!

If you get the choice, dont take Japanese lol i took it and its killing me rn
Original post by snartie3
I'm currently choosing my gcse's and don't know which to pick. Would you recommend any gcse's?

Wish I did Latin, Geography or Art

I suggest from my experience: RS, classics, history, music or Spanish
I'm currently choosing my gcse's and don't know which to pick. Would you recommend any gcse's?

If they offer it at your school, you could do Graphic Products. A very good subject, IMO
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
If they offer it at your school, you could do Graphic Products. A very good subject, IMO

a DT subject is highly not reccomended (I do Product Design),it's like Art and will take your time up a lot.Plus,geography and history is much more respected then DT lol.

Do it if your creative and wouldn't mind doing coursework A LOT(every week in year 10 or 11)

I meant ,it is not highly recommended if the OP does History/geo/triple award or both GEO/History/Triple Award as the workload will be too much
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Blancosdos
a DT subject is highly not reccomended (I do Product Design),it's like Art and will take your time up a lot.Plus,geography and history is much more respected then DT lol.

Do it if your creative and wouldn't mind doing coursework A LOT(every week in year 10 or 11)

I meant ,it is not highly recommended if the OP does History/geo/triple award or both GEO/History/Triple Award as the workload will be too much

Original post by ZiggyStarDust_

Original post by Aaron2515
Wish I did Latin, Geography or Art

I suggest from my experience: RS, classics, history, music or Spanish

Original post by chrlhyms
100% triple science, its a lot to know but can really benefit you and i think its great because i did triple but didn't want to do science a level and now i do! but if i dropped it for double i wouldn't be able to be in this position!

If you're academic i would definitely also choose Geography and History as those would be able to give you a vary varied "high brow" gcse results. It may be quite challenging with the revision load but it looks better when applying to sixth forms!

If you get the choice, dont take Japanese lol i took it and its killing me rn

Thanks so much :biggrin:
Thanks so much :biggrin:

I can help you more if you tell me what your best subjects are,what you are not good at etc,your likes/dislikes,what you enjoy mostly.
Reply 27
I can help you more if you tell me what your best subjects are,what you are not good at etc,your likes/dislikes,what you enjoy mostly.

I like science and math, writing essays and I also like stuff like drawing and painting along with photography (I take a lot of selfies) lol. However, I don't think I'm good at drawing and painting and photography.
I like science and math, writing essays and I also like stuff like drawing and painting along with photography (I take a lot of selfies) lol. However, I don't think I'm good at drawing and painting and photography.

Since you like science =Triple Award
Since you like essay subjects=R.E,History.Geography contains an element of essay writing (case studies) but it also has a science side,a physical processes side(For e.g Earthquakes,food chains/webs,glacial retreat,river processes etc)

My advice is find what exam board your school does for each of those subjects and go the exam board and look at spieceman papers.If there are none,look at past papers,it shows some of the topics(although your doing the new GCSE's so it'll differ but there will be some similar things there)
Reply 29
Since you like science =Triple Award
Since you like essay subjects=R.E,History.Geography contains an element of essay writing (case studies) but it also has a science side,a physical processes side(For e.g Earthquakes,food chains/webs,glacial retreat,river processes etc)

My advice is find what exam board your school does for each of those subjects and go the exam board and look at spieceman papers.If there are none,look at past papers,it shows some of the topics(although your doing the new GCSE's so it'll differ but there will be some similar things there)

Thanks so much for your time and advice. Thanks to you and everyone on this thread I think I want to do triple award science, history, RE, German and other compulsory subjects :biggrin:
A language, drama, geography and catering!!
Original post by VokeA
Any language and history. Wish I could've taken history to AS-level but I can't write v fast, but gcse history improved that still. Really interesting and develops useful writing skills imo, as a sciency person

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agree about a language, so if you go to another country on holiday or business you can avoid being the typical Brit abroad.

History and Sociology were both really good! depends what you like though, if you enjoy science triple science is worth it, I did that also.
Reply 33
Original post by espicton98
History and Sociology were both really good! depends what you like though, if you enjoy science triple science is worth it, I did that also.

Psychology GCSE!! Trust me its amazing. Its so interesting and for me its a really good stress relief for triple science!!
Reply 35
Original post by tamanna___
Psychology GCSE!! Trust me its amazing. Its so interesting and for me its a really good stress relief for triple science!!

Thank you :smile: What is psychology a study of?
Thank you :smile: What is psychoulogy a study of?

Paychology is a scientific study of the mind and behaviour. Ill tell you the topics i am doing with my exam board OCR. So there are 5 main areas,
1) Biological sciences
2)Cognitive psychology
3)Development psychology
4) Social psychology
5) Individual differences

Okay so there are 3 units, unit 1 has 5 topics, each from one of the 5 main areas. Same for unit 2. Unit 3 is just the basics, like what you need to know in order to analyse the topics.
So in unit one we learn about
Sex and Gender (Can your gender be different to your sex?)
Memory (How does your memory actually work?)
Attachment (With whom do we form attachments with?)
Obediance (Do we unconsciously obey people for other reasons than because we want to?)
Atypical behaviours (Phobias and why we have them)

In unit 2 :
Criminal Behaviour ( Is criminal behaviour inherited?)
Perception (How do we percieve?)
Cognitive development ( How we grow and develop from ages 0-11)
Non verbal communication ( is our non verbal communication instintictive or learnt?)
The self (How is our self esteem raised and lowered?)

I typed the topics in the same order as the five main areas so you can link them for reference☺️ For each area we study 2 topics. Personally i really like all the topics, i didnt used to like Sex and Gender because i didnt really understand it as we went through it really fast in class but now i've revised it, its just as good as the others haha although it has an extremely weird theory😁
I suggest you do psychology its a really interesting topic. A really really interesting topic😂
Reply 37
Original post by tamanna___
Paychology is a scientific study of the mind and behaviour. Ill tell you the topics i am doing with my exam board OCR. So there are 5 main areas,
1) Biological sciences
2)Cognitive psychology
3)Development psychology
4) Social psychology
5) Individual differences

Okay so there are 3 units, unit 1 has 5 topics, each from one of the 5 main areas. Same for unit 2. Unit 3 is just the basics, like what you need to know in order to analyse the topics.
So in unit one we learn about
Sex and Gender (Can your gender be different to your sex?)
Memory (How does your memory actually work?)
Attachment (With whom do we form attachments with?)
Obediance (Do we unconsciously obey people for other reasons than because we want to?)
Atypical behaviours (Phobias and why we have them)

In unit 2 :
Criminal Behaviour ( Is criminal behaviour inherited?)
Perception (How do we percieve?)
Cognitive development ( How we grow and develop from ages 0-11)
Non verbal communication ( is our non verbal communication instintictive or learnt?)
The self (How is our self esteem raised and lowered?)

I typed the topics in the same order as the five main areas so you can link them for reference☺️ For each area we study 2 topics. Personally i really like all the topics, i didnt used to like Sex and Gender because i didnt really understand it as we went through it really fast in class but now i've revised it, its just as good as the others haha although it has an extremely weird theory😁
I suggest you do psychology its a really interesting topic. A really really interesting topic😂

Psychology sounds really interesting, I can't wait to do it :smile: Thank you for the detailed paragraphs, they really helped :biggrin:
Psychology sounds really interesting, I can't wait to do it :smile: Thank you for the detailed paragraphs, they really helped :biggrin:

Haha your welcome! I think you'll really enjoy it, especially if you like sciences like me haha!
Saying "do further maths" or "do art" isn't helpful. If you enjoy maths and you're good at it, take further maths. If you enjoy art, take art. We can't tell you what subjects to pick, just pick those you enjoy the most, however keep in mind that to do well in subjects like computing (with OCR at least), art, graphics, textiles, music, etc, you have to be prepared to put in a lot of work over yr 10 and 11 as coursework counts for a lot of the grade.

I can also tell you from experience that RE is :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin: because it's just learning about different religion's views on abortion and stuff, music is okay because the coursework is fine (you have to write two songs and play two songs) however the music exam is terrible and involves little theory, it's just memorising facts about songs. Utterly dire. Computing is... decent. I enjoy it, but with OCR at least there's very little programming involved, and there's a lot of stuff that's not actually compiting, like having to use bloody scratch.

Graphics is very similar to art, and the problem with them both is simply quantity over quality. You have to be prepared to put in a ton of work, but if you enjoy art then that's no problem!

My fourth and final option was Spanish. I actually quite enjoy Spanish, i thought I'd hate it but it's a good course, I'm just not very good at it haha.

Anyway, pick the subjects you like and are prepared to put in life lots of work for.

Quick Reply

Latest