The Student Room Group

New gcses (year 9)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JTran38
English in general you can improve. With English Literature make sure you get the relevant revision guides for the texts you're studying and listen in class when reading and annotating the text.

Have you tried any other revision guides except CGP?
Reply 21
Original post by reinaadira

I have tried Letts back in KS2/3 which was quite good. I personally would recommend CGP as they make the best revision guides but other ones should be equally as good.
[QUOTE="Fangirl2048;63848813"]
Original post by chris2791
I take Media History Business and Economics food technology[/QUO

I kind of just skipped into this forum and I happened to see your comment... I'm in year 9 too and I have to choose my options quite soon for GCSEs, and I was having quite a fiery internal debate over media or history. The school has given us only two optional choices, and I've already made up my mind on art being one of them, and either media or history as the other. So since you take both, could you please tell me what they're like , the workload and which one you'd prefer. :smile: My exam board for media is AQA- not sure about history.

Please get back to me soon! Thanks!

And to the student who started this thread: yes, I feel you, I'm gonna be doing the new GCSEs as well (duh) and I'm 100% kind of maybe a little freaked. It's gonna be a lot harder, for sure.

We chose our Year 10 options a few weeks ago. My school gave us an information pack with all the subjects we can choose, their exam boards and topics. For Media, my school does AQA, the specs are
40% Examination
60% Controlled Assessment
You will study:
How various media operate, comparing media trends, exploring products across media platforms, looking at social and psychological effects of representation within the media and the power of stereotyping, marketing and presenting a media product and operation of digital cameras, software etc

For History, we used to do Edexcel but we do AQA now. I know AQA has things like Weimar Germany (ww2) and the Cold War. I prefer History as it is so interesting and an excellent skill
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JTran38
I have tried Letts back in KS2/3 which was quite good. I personally would recommend CGP as they make the best revision guides but other ones should be equally as good.

Lol, this reminds me, for my SATS, I bought a lot of LETTS revision guides and hardly used them. They look really good though, however back then I thought revising was just reading the guide.

Do you do a foreign language>
Hi Everybody,
I'm currently in Year 9, which means I will be doing the new, harder GCSE'S with the grading system 9-1, for all my subjects except Geography.
My Exam Boards
English- AQA
Spanish- AQA
Maths- Edexcel
Science- OCR (our triple science exams are in a month to see who will do it)
History- AQA
Geography- Edexcel
Religious Studies- AQA
BTEC Sport- Not sure on the Exam Board but doing a GCSE/BTEC P.E is compulsory in my school
Targets- All 8's which is like an A*

Does anybody have the same exam board and is in the same year as me? Any revision tips? I chose Psychology for Year 10 and the exam board is AQA I think.

I do Edexcel Maths and AQA History but I am year 11 so doing the old spec for all of my GCSE's .
Reply 25
Lol, this reminds me, for my SATS, I bought a lot of LETTS revision guides and hardly used them. They look really good though, however back then I thought revising was just reading the guide.

Do you do a foreign language>

Yes indeed, AQA GCSE French.
Original post by JTran38
Yes indeed, AQA GCSE French.

What do you think of it?
Reply 27
What do you think of it?

It's a good exam board to do a MFL in. In terms of French, I enjoy it as I have a great teacher teaching me.

what year are u in year 9
Original post by JTran38
It's a good exam board to do a MFL in. In terms of French, I enjoy it as I have a great teacher teaching me.

I do Spanish and I love the language, but then again my class isn't exactly that well behaved, do they get better in Year 10?
Reply 30
I do Spanish and I love the language, but then again my class isn't exactly that well behaved, do they get better in Year 10?

As long as you have a good teacher who teaches you well, you should be fine despite a few misbehaving students.
Oh ok, yeah I don't know if the new GCSE would include Of Mice and Men but I think I might read it anyway because there's so many videos of analysis on it and it seems quite interesting. I really like A Christmas Carol but I wish we do Jane Eyre next year. Do you think English Literature is something people have to be naturally good at (mostly) or is it something that can be significantly improved? Like my Maths teacher says I can practice and improve in Maths much more than other subjects, but to be honest and I have no idea, as people say different things.

my teaccherold me that The Mice of Men is no longer going to as a literature book for the new GCSE just wanting to tell this as a fact cause im in Year 9 :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest