The Student Room Group

Should women who are forbidden from having a job due to religion be allowed benefits?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ambitious1999
The wahhabist religion forbids women from working, it even forbids them from driving. Their strict conservative wahhabists laws can prosecute the woman or her family in sharia courts , should these rules be broken.

So the point is should we expect people to break the law to work or refuse then any financial help if they choose not to break those laws?

It isn't forbidden for women to work.
Original post by carlskep
Once again...

Fundamentalist Islam, if not outright forbidding women from working most jobs, certainly encourages them not to:

https://islamqa.info/en/106815

The basic principle is that a woman should remain at home, and not go out except for necessary purposes. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And stay in your houses, and do not display yourselves like that of the times of ignorance”

[al-Ahzaab 33:33].

Although this is addressed to the wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), it also applies to the believing women. It is only addressed to the wives of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) because of their honour and status with the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and because they are examples for the believing women.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Woman is ‘awrah, and if she goes out, the shaytaan raises his hopes (of misguiding her). She is never closer to Allaah than when she stays in her house.” Narrated by Ibn Hibbaan and Ibn Khuzaymah; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Shaheehah, no. 2688.

And he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said concerning a woman’s prayer in the mosque: “Their houses are better for them.” Narrated by Abu Dawood (567) and classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

If the husband isn't making enough money then it's permissible for the wife to work. It's also possible to work from home. I know people whose relatives teach children in their homes, etc. So if you're trying to prove that Islam forbids women from working, that is not true. The Prophet's first wife, Khadijah, ran her own business and was the richest woman in Makkah at that time.
Reply 82
Original post by FluffyCherry
It's quite funny that you didn't read the whole thing or maybe you did but decided to not complete what you've just copied from the link that you've provided,
If you read the second part it says,

Secondly:
It is permissible for a woman to go out of her house for work, but that is subject to certain conditions.
If they are met, it is permissible for her to go out. They are:
- That she needs to work in order to acquire the money she needs, as in your case.
- The work should be suited to the nature of woman, such as medicine, nursing, teaching, sewing, and so on.

What's even funnier is you did the exact same thing and cut out this significant part:

"The work should be in a place that is only for women, and there should be no mixing with non-mahram men."

Which has essentially excluded Muslim women, especially in the West, from working in virtually every job outside the home.
Here's an example, Singapore has a sizeable muslim population, even thought its not a totally muslim country, however they do have Sharia courts and no doubt women are allowed to be excused work on religious grounds and able to use the nations welfare system in Looe of a job. That's because Singapore is a multicultural republic and is one of the cleanest and safest countries in the world.
There are a lot of cultures and religions where women are not allowed to work as its untraditional and against the religious or cultural laws.
If that's the case then should they be allowed income support benefit to cover living expenses because they can't work? Ok they'd have to prove their religion forbids them from working and they'd be break in the laws of their religion if they did work. After all freedom to follow a religion is a human right. What are your thoughts?

Have you any evidence that people can claim religious duty as an example of not having to work? All they have to do is have babies anyway and they can claim as long as their wombs are working.
There are a lot of cultures and religions where women are not allowed to work as its untraditional and against the religious or cultural laws.
If that's the case then should they be allowed income support benefit to cover living expenses because they can't work? Ok they'd have to prove their religion forbids them from working and they'd be break in the laws of their religion if they did work. After all freedom to follow a religion is a human right. What are your thoughts?

In which religion are women not allowed to work?
Reply 86
Good luck with trying to prove that

Simple question simple answer NO.

They live in the uk so I don't give a rats ass what their culture says if they want to live by those rules they should go somewhere that is acceptable

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm still not over how baffling this idea of yours is...were you joking?
Original post by Dirty Dawah
All people should be entitled to enough to live.

how do you justify the principle that I ought to work for somebody else to unnecessarily not work? religion is a choice, to say the least, or else the concept of freedom of religion is meaningless.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 90
I wasn't born muslim. Got a problem?
Original post by carlskep
Good luck telling Salafis that it's utter dolphindolphindolphins and to leave their religion back in good old antiquated Arabia and move with the times.

WTAF are salafis?
Original post by paul514
Simple question simple answer NO.

They live in the uk so I don't give a rats ass what their culture says if they want to live by those rules they should go somewhere that is acceptable

Posted from TSR Mobile

WOW. I get what you're implying, but if someone come's here to work, just leave all their culture at home? Like "poof" :biggrin:. No, they can bring their culture here and if it fails to merge with English culture then they have to drop it. Im half white, and I dont have a problem considering we love multicultural food.
Original post by Ascend
What's even funnier is you did the exact same thing and cut out this significant part:

"The work should be in a place that is only for women, and there should be no mixing with non-mahram men."

Which has essentially excluded Muslim women, especially in the West, from working in virtually every job outside the home.

Nopeeeee. Rules have changed, and scholars have said they can work anywhere with male presence partly because its all about integration and modernization. In my school, all the teachers are muslim and they work alongside men?
Reply 94
Original post by Aizenosa
I wasn't born muslim. Got a problem?

No one is.
well any religion that bans women from working shouldn't exist (does one even exist?). and if you are stupid enough to follow such a backwards religion then that's your own decision so deal with it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
well any religion that bans women from working shouldn't exist (does one even exist?). and if you are stupid enough to follow such a backwards religion then that's your own decision so deal with it.

No such religion exists, only atheists who are desperate to try to prove religion wrong exist
Original post by qwertyuipdoe
No such religion exists, only atheists who are desperate to try to prove religion wrong exist

ummmm idk if you were agreeing or trying to attack me but I'm not even atheist...
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
ummmm idk if you were agreeing or trying to attack me but I'm not even atheist...

It wasn't meant to be an agreement or attack :smile: just stating my view on the matter lol
Depends on the benefit, imo. They shouldn't get JSA since they're not looking for work but I've no problem with them getting child benefit, housing benefit etc if their husband is in low paid work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending