The Student Room Group

What to do for a year?

I've been rejected from all 5 of my UCAS choices, despite being on track to have the required grades. I've also been rejected from my backup options, HND courses at 3 different colleges which I already have more than the required grades. I understand it's been really competitive this year, but that won't help me figure what the hell I'm going to do with the next year or two of my life. I seriously have no clue. Anyone have any suggestions?
Sit around jacking it for a year
Try to get a job? Travel if you can afford it?
Depends what you need.

If you're in STEM I would recommend the year in industry for a paid internship

Otherwise, if you're into medicine, you could do volunteering / internship at a hopistal (not sure if thats a thing)

You could do a gap year with the army, which will help you develop leadership skills (as you will become a second lieutenant) and get paid

You could apply for Step Forward, a gap year program for students, which puts you in a paid internship at some company doing various jobs.

You could also tutor, or volunteer somewhere creative. For example, my friend got a summer job at a game reserve in south africa. Pretty badass huh?
I might end up in this position too and I've been thinking that I'd try to get some work experience - both in areas relevant to what I want to do and just to get some money so that I can save up and reapply next year to a wider range of courses. Trying to get a job of some sort is definitely what I'd suggest doing! There are also a lot of jobs and opportunities that are specifically targeted at gap year students so it would be worth seeing if any of those are still available.
Original post by HistoryDave
I've been rejected from all 5 of my UCAS choices, despite being on track to have the required grades. I've also been rejected from my backup options, HND courses at 3 different colleges which I already have more than the required grades. I understand it's been really competitive this year, but that won't help me figure what the hell I'm going to do with the next year or two of my life. I seriously have no clue. Anyone have any suggestions?

What course did you apply for?
Reply 6
Work experience.
Try get a job or traineeship? Take this gap year then reapply if you still want to go to university.
I've only been rejected from 2/5, but they were the only courses I really wanted to attend.
Therefore I'm in pretty much the same situation as you. I'm already on a gap year (re-sat some exams, been working and travelling), but I think I'll just stick to it.

I will:
- Work (mainly to save up money for uni)
- Travel (for the hell of it)
- Create and produce a shitload of things (I only applied to creative art courses)
- Do yoga and meditate to help clear mind and body

I'm such a cliché.

I've also contemplated getting work placement or a paid internship in a relevant business. Experience is key in (not only) the creative industry, so I hope it'll help me get a job post uni.
Original post by DeadEnd_96
What course did you apply for?

I would guess history from the username

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending