The Student Room Group

16 stone 19 year old HELP

I started gym recently and as I will be starting uni in September I wanted to get in shape.
This isn't my first time in the gym I have been quite a few times, but for some reasons and this is very strange I am not losing considerable amount of fat.
I am working very hard and that can be seen in other parts of my body such as my arms, legs, chest & traps. But my stomach is the only downside. I have tried everything and even my diet is now top notch.
Any help/advice would be very appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Weight loss is about calorie deficit.
You cant spot reduce so it comes off where it decides to come off.
Presumably you are doing some resistance/weights training and that will help maximise fat loss by retaining muscle during weight loss.
You just need to be consistent.

Go and join MFP
If you arent weighing and logging your food on MFP start now.
damn you big
Just wanted to wish you luck with your weight loss!! :biggrin:
Original post by moneymania999
I started gym recently and as I will be starting uni in September I wanted to get in shape.
This isn't my first time in the gym I have been quite a few times, but for some reasons and this is very strange I am not losing considerable amount of fat.
I am working very hard and that can be seen in other parts of my body such as my arms, legs, chest & traps. But my stomach is the only downside. I have tried everything and even my diet is now top notch.

If you look at calories burned per minute of running for example, it isn't very high. The quickest way to lose weight is through diet changes. Don't totally cut food groups though. Eat your usual meals, maybe lessen the portions. Then for snacks, if you're hungry eat a banana. If you don't fancy a banana, you're not hungry enough, don't eat anything. Drinking lots of water fills your stomach before meals so you need to eat less to feel full.

80% of calories are burned just by being alive. Cut the food, and your weight will drop quite quickly. I used to be really insecure about my weight, and just by eating less shite I lost nearly a stone.
Reply 5
Original post by 999tigger
Presumably you are doing some resistance/weights training and that will help maximise fat loss by retaining muscle during weight loss.

Go and join MFP

This^

Can't concentrate weight loss on specific areas, it does not work like that :tongue:
--
Also best of luck, well done for taking such a deciison
(edited 8 years ago)
I'd recommed weight training & good diet with the famous 40/30/30 proportions. Do not rely on the calorie deficit method, it is retro and overrated. The more muscle you build the more fat you will lose. Try and eat foods that are not over processed, avoid sugar (which is a poison just like the next thing on the list), alcohol, quit smoking. Also make sure you are getting enough carbs (that is right) so you have energy for your workouts, fats like omega 3 that are actually good for you and Protein. You are trying to build strenght and muscle tissue so heavy weights, smaller sets and protein! Try to find a program put together by a professional rather than making your own. Step away from the treadmill. I would recommed looking at bodybuilding forums and also a good book (that will give you a good insight into how our bodies respond to aerobic and anaerobic exercises, how our muscles grow, how our bodies produce energy and a lot more) is The new rules of lifting by Cosgrove & Schuler. There is also a version for women. it is well worth the money, not written by Dan, the personal trainer from Easygym. These people have spent years researching and collecting evidence to prove that calorie deficit and million miles on a treadmill are actually causing muscle deficit and 50 years down the line you'll be a fragile old man not able to climb a staircase. Also make sure your form is good when performing exercises, you don't want to work against yourself! Good luck!!!! Also it'll take a while for the results, your muscles might actually be swollen and are retaining more water if you just recently started, it takes weeks to build actuall muscle tissue. The fat loss is also slow. If you are consistent, you'll get good results before September
(edited 8 years ago)

Go and join MFP

Thanks for this & im joining right now.
Original post by Blondie987
Just wanted to wish you luck with your weight loss!! :biggrin:

Thanks
Thanks for this & im joining right now.

Bo. Dont forget its simple and for weight loss its about consistent deficit. There are many ways you might do that, but unless you are in deficit you will not lose.
Original post by sambradley
If you look at calories burned per minute of running for example, it isn't very high. The quickest way to lose weight is through diet changes. Don't totally cut food groups though. Eat your usual meals, maybe lessen the portions. Then for snacks, if you're hungry eat a banana. If you don't fancy a banana, you're not hungry enough, don't eat anything. Drinking lots of water fills your stomach before meals so you need to eat less to feel full.

80% of calories are burned just by being alive. Cut the food, and your weight will drop quite quickly. I used to be really insecure about my weight, and just by eating less shite I lost nearly a stone.

Many thanks
Original post by Inexorably
This^

Can't concentrate weight loss on specific areas, it does not work like that :tongue:
--
Also best of luck, well done for taking such a deciison

Thanks
Original post by Adriannanna
I'd recommed weight training & good diet with the famous 40/30/30 proportions. Do not rely on the calorie deficit method, it is retro and overrated. The more muscle you build the more fat you will lose. Try and eat foods that are not over processed, avoid sugar (which is a poison just like the next thing on the list), alcohol, quit smoking. Also make sure you are getting enough carbs (that is right) so you have energy for your workouts, fats like omega 3 that are actually good for you and Protein. You are trying to build strenght and muscle tissue so heavy weights, smaller sets and protein! Try to find a program put together by a professional rather than making your own. Step away from the treadmill. I would recommed looking at bodybuilding forums and also a good book (that will give you a good insight into how our bodies respond to aerobic and anaerobic exercises, how our muscles grow, how our bodies produce energy and a lot more) is The new rules of lifting by Cosgrove & Schuler. There is also a version for women. it is well worth the money, not written by Dan, the personal trainer from Easygym. These people have spent years researching and collecting evidence to prove that calorie deficit and million miles on a treadmill are actually causing muscle deficit and 50 years down the line you'll be a fragile old man not able to climb a staircase. Also make sure your form is good when performing exercises, you don't want to work against yourself! Good luck!!!! Also it'll take a while for the results, your muscles might actually be swollen and are retaining more water if you just recently started, it takes weeks to build actuall muscle tissue. The fat loss is also slow. If you are consistent, you'll get good results before September

Many thanks for this

Try going vegan. You can eat all you want of things like green vegetables, potatoes, rice, fruits, cereals, soups and stay slim. Good for the environment and animals too.

Just a quick question.
You mentioned that the more muscle I build the more fat I will lose. Is that actually true?
I thought that was a myth & you actually had to lose all the fat first and then begin building muscle.
small steps every single day. get rid of all the junk!
Just a quick question.
You mentioned that the more muscle I build the more fat I will lose. Is that actually true?
I thought that was a myth & you actually had to lose all the fat first and then begin building muscle.

Of course it is true. This is because of what happens after your workout. A study carried out at University in Colorado, published in 2003 showed that the fat oxidation after strength training is much higher than post cardio training. 22% higher to be accurate. That is 15 hours after the training session. Building muscle and burning fat is a zig-zag, inevitable process. Trying to lose fat only, usually will also result in loss of muscle tissue which = slower metabolic rate which = less fat loss (mainly because your body will try and hold on to the fat that is left behind in order to survive). Another factor is the Resting Metabolic Rate (RMB), what this refers to is the recovery stage. The way your muscles grow is by recover. You cause loads of little tears in the muscle tissue when doing proper weight training (I mentioned the swelling in my previous post which is due to the inflammation cause by those tears and followed by recovery). Your body then heals (if you provide it with enough fuel to do so), building the muscle a little stronger every time. Now your body burns a lot of calories during this process. Weight training elevates the numbers more than any aerobic exercise. Mainly because our muscle training requires a lot more effort than running or cycling which is repetitive and our bodies easily adapt to.

You want muscle, and do not worry about 'getting too big.' I hear so many people say that (including women) before they hit the gym. And I never hear them say 'Oh my god, I have too much muscle, i think I'm getting too bulky.'

Just make sure you get as much information behind your belt, and avoid advice from anyone who mentions 'calorie deficit.' It may work in losing weight but what you will end up being is not 'fit' you will be 'weak.' And when you are weak you are prone to disabilities, heart disease, fractures etc as you get older.
(edited 8 years ago)

Just make sure you get as much information behind your belt, and avoid advice from anyone who mentions 'calorie deficit.' It may work in losing weight but what you will end up being is not 'fit' you will be 'weak.' And when you are weak you are prone to disabilities, heart disease, fractures etc as you get older.

Absolute nonsense. Go onto MFP and talk to the thousands that are losing weight on there. You will see most peple are doing regular exercise as well as being at a deficit. Calorie defiit is how to lose weight, fitness is for health and you shuld be doing both. You will not gain significnat muscle whilst you are at deficit, what you cna do is retain myscle so you lower your body fat. This is your ultimate goal.

The reason you ,lose weight is because of calorie deficit.

If you dont believe me go and make that post on MFP and see how many hundreds of people who are fit and successyly lost weight disagree with you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Absolute nonsense. Go onto MFP and talk to the thousands that are losing weight on there. You will see most peple are doing regular exercise as well as being at a deficit. Calorie defiit is how to lose weight, fitness is for health and you shuld be doing both. You will not gain significnat muscle whilst you are at deficit, what you cna do is retain myscle so you lower your body fat. This is your ultimate goal.

The reason you ,lose weight is because of calorie deficit.

If you dont believe me go and make that post on MFP and see how many hundreds of people who are fit and successyly lost weight disagree with you.

Of course they are losing WEIGHT, a third of it is probably lean muscle tissue.

How can you retain something when you are on a deficit??

Key to weight control is maintaining or increasing your metabolic rate. Starving yourself does the opposite. Naturally, the less food you intake the more your brain instructs your body to retain.

I do not understand how a calorie deficit makes more sense than providing your body with the right amount of good fuel to work like it should do.

I'm not saying go home after a workout and eat your house. Yes our bodies will run on anything, because we are amazing and complex, but if you give it the right amount of carbs, fats and proteins - it will do good things for you.

At the end of the day there are numerous studies that show that a strong, not slim, person is less likely to be affected by heart disease and certain disabilities. There is a big difference between being healthy & fit and being slim.
Eat less and exercise more, it's easy

Latest