The Student Room Group

Medicine - HELP!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Zain-A
They could have been rejected from interview because they had no personality. I don't know. Honestly I got rejected from everywhere with no interview and aberdeen gave me an interview because they always interview about 800 people for 150 places, which is way more than most uni's. So I was already very very low in the "pecking order" so to speak. I met a guy wit 5A's, private school educated, parents are doctors etc etc at my interview and I got an offer and he did not. We were both South Asian so I do not think any race equality BS got me in.

I honestly think I just walked my interview, by the end of it I was joking and laughing at the last station with my interviewer and actor, and the other candidates were just watching me like wtf. Basically I was just myself and made an impression and got the offer.

Long story short, grades get you an interview, and the interview gets you a place.

Why do you want to know my religion? And yes I will answer any Qs you have anytime.

Nice! You sound so confident being able to laugh about with the interviewer!

Oh sorry, just wanted to know your religion because your username made me assume you might be a Muslim? - haha nothing weird don't worry.

I am a Muslim btw
Original post by Jeff548
Nice! You sound so confident being able to laugh about with the interviewer!

Oh sorry, just wanted to know your religion because your username made me assume you might be a Muslim? - haha nothing weird don't worry.

I am a Muslim btw

Jeff the Muslim aye, haha kidding. Yes I am Muslim.
Reply 22
Original post by Zain-A
Jeff the Muslim aye, haha kidding. Yes I am Muslim.

Hahahaha that's just tsr , my real name is Yusuf :smile:

From an islamic point of view do you think you got in because of prayers etc?

Advice?
Original post by Jeff548

Advice?

Check your PM's
Original post by Jeff548

Advice?

Yeah m8, praying helps all the time. In fact when I have a patient who's ill instead of actually using medical science just be like "inshallah you get better, allahu akbar" and they'll be good as new :biggrin:
Original post by Asklepios
Yeah m8, praying helps all the time. In fact when I have a patient who's ill instead of actually using medical science just be like "inshallah you get better, allahu akbar" and they'll be good as new :biggrin:

When you give them GTN and they thank god for saving them :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pennyarcade

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why does God get all the credit 😒
Hey, is there any other way to get into medicine as I don't have the require grades at the moment :/
Original post by Zain-A
Your plan will work, I know someone who has crashed higher chemistry in S6 and has medicine offers. You need to explain to your school that you NEED this qualification and that they have to let you take it at some point, push hard enough and you will be able to hopefully crash it in S5.

But if all else fails, you might not need biology to get in. I have an offer from Aberdeen and have AAAAB (Chemistry - A, Biology - A, History - A, English - A, Maths - B) proving you don't even need 5A's. Anyway it says on Aberdeens website;

"AAAAB from five full academic courses to be taken at one sitting; from Highers and Advanced Highers. Chemistry is required, plus two from Biology/Human Biology Mathematics and Physics plus two other subjects"

So it says that Chemistry is a requirement, but you can have ANY two from Biology, Maths or Physics.

I hope you don't mind me asking but can I commend you on your fantastic higher results!! Considering how awful the maths paper was! I'm looking for guidance regarding medicine and grades I've started revising intensely and I will start by explaining that my prelim results for physics and chemistry were not great so I'm now taking on board what I need to work on and doing as many past paper questions as I can. I am aware that medicine is a very demanding degree and career but I am passionate about helping others in need having cousins with disabilities and caring for them. The problem I have is meeting the entry requirements of universities. If it helps the subjects I take are maths, English, physics, chemistry and French. You should be very proud of yourself and may I ask how you studied this time last year many thanks and well done!!!
Original post by Jeff548

Advice?

My brothers name is Yousuf also
Original post by Zain-A
Yes that is what conditional means

@Zain-A @Jeff548 can I just say that both your advice and help has been greatly appreciated I can't express my gratitude enough. Revision and exam season is well underway I am so nervous I can't tell you but I do as much revision as I can to build my confidence up I just feel as though I'm very low on the pecking order and everyone like yourself are super gifted and intelligent I sometimes wonder what is their secret. Maths I'm so nervous for after last years exam paper I'm not looking forward to it . Once again thanks so much for your time and effort means a lot especially as you've been or are in the same situation of doing highers and uni requirements thank you
Original post by Asklepios

Original post by Pennyarcade

Posted from TSR Mobile

hahaha
Original post by Zrehman24
I hope you don't mind me asking but can I commend you on your fantastic higher results!! Considering how awful the maths paper was! I'm looking for guidance regarding medicine and grades I've started revising intensely and I will start by explaining that my prelim results for physics and chemistry were not great so I'm now taking on board what I need to work on and doing as many past paper questions as I can. I am aware that medicine is a very demanding degree and career but I am passionate about helping others in need having cousins with disabilities and caring for them. The problem I have is meeting the entry requirements of universities. If it helps the subjects I take are maths, English, physics, chemistry and French. You should be very proud of yourself and may I ask how you studied this time last year many thanks and well done!!!

Hey thanks a lot! Yeah that maths paper was a sore one, its the one I got a B, missed an A by 2 marks!
But otherwise I just studied by doing a ton of past paper's, as many as I could do until I was consistently scoring in the A bracket.
@Zain-A @Jeff548 can I just say that both your advice and help has been greatly appreciated I can't express my gratitude enough. Revision and exam season is well underway I am so nervous I can't tell you but I do as much revision as I can to build my confidence up I just feel as though I'm very low on the pecking order and everyone like yourself are super gifted and intelligent I sometimes wonder what is their secret. Maths I'm so nervous for after last years exam paper I'm not looking forward to it . Once again thanks so much for your time and effort means a lot especially as you've been or are in the same situation of doing highers and uni requirements thank you

Listen mate, as long as you put in as much effort as you can you will get results you can be proud of. Ignore the pecking order BS because as I said, I was barely offered an interview at all and I still got an offer while people with 3/4 interviews got rejected. Focus on getting the grades to get an interview.
Reply 34

No problem, just remember: my advice is just a suggestion because I am in the same boat as you and have slacked off majorly which is scaring me now.

It's the final push though, we're nearly there :smile:
So unfortunate!! You'll get there don't worry o appreciate your advice sincerely. Not s lot of people want to tell you and give you sdvoce and you've been so helpful. Don't slack off now put in the work and it will pay off for you as if did last year :smile:
@Zain-A is there any good websites for help with all types of chemistry calculations ? Thanks for taking time and effort go answer my question and good luck to you
Reply 37
@Zain-A is there any good websites for help with all types of chemistry calculations ? Thanks for taking time and effort go answer my question and good luck to you

Wasn't directed at me but the How to Pass book has all the calculations which I find helpful to learn from so get it if you have time
I have thanks I appreciate your help. How is your revision going?
I have thanks I appreciate your help. How is your revision going?

@Jeff548

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending