The Student Room Group

can you still get As and A*s ?

do you think if anyone starts revising properly for their GCSEs now would they be able to achieve these type of grades?
Yeah.
Its just a matter of technique and memorisation.
Original post by mk_cbc
do you think if anyone starts revising properly for their GCSEs now would they be able to achieve these type of grades?

Lol you could get an A by revising the day before :laugh::rofl::rofl:
Reply 3
Certainly (that's what I'm telling myself anyway)
Original post by mk_cbc

totally,

If I could go back and do my GCSEs now I would ace them all. It;s all about having the right mindset, because most of the information you can find out for yourself and it's all available to you online and in textbooks. you just have to be determined AND motivated for a long long time.... until your exams really. This is really for AS exams though more than GCSEs, but the same principle applies. xx

best to start revision earlier though. the earlier the better. GCSEs I think now are harder due to the changes than when I did them in 2013/14 so not sure but get revising and use lots of tools on this website to help :smile: good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes, but it does help if you are clever, you work hard and you master technique.
I hope so since I'm aiming for majority A*s and haven't really started
Original post by surina16
I hope so since I'm aiming for majority A*s and haven't really started

Do realise though that it is ok not to be perfect and that if you at the least pass then you should be proud.

wanting all a*s is about us all being perfectionists, but being a perfectionist lead s to disappointment sometimes when you don't get the grade you want because it';s likely that you may feel like you failed on at least one assignment you've done in your school life and I think we've all been there.
You don't even have to be clever to get A*s. It doesn't always test intelligence, just if you know something well. You can't be born knowing what the composition of blood is for example, unless you look at the components and separate them by centrifuging them and then use the terms if everyone else uses for the different components. e.g erythrocytes etc.....
Original post by Aishraat
Do realise though that it is ok not to be perfect and that if you at the least pass then you should be proud.

wanting all a*s is about us all being perfectionists, but being a perfectionist lead s to disappointment sometimes when you don't get the grade you want because it';s likely that you may feel like you failed on at least one assignment you've done in your school life and I think we've all been there.

it might not be due to perfectionism tho. someone might want it for their future career they aspire to, or uni, or that they want to prove others wrong and make people proud.

low expectations just limits potential
EDIT: plus different people have different expectations. some may want B's some may want A*s
Original post by Username3097486
it might not be due to perfectionism tho. someone might want it for their future career they aspire to, or uni, or that they want to prove others wrong and make people proud.

low expectations just limits potential
EDIT: plus different people have different expectations. some may want B's some may want A*s

yes, fair point. I want it and think a lot of other do though because of perfectionism and other reasons too, unless you know what career you want and what is required of you for that/what university you want to go to. Someone who gets all A*s is not always and I think usually not more clever than someone with As/Bs. I got a mixture and I know if I worked harder I could have got what I wanted.

A low expectation may not mean a low potential because you can look at how much revision and consolidation you've done close to the exams and feel as though you haven't done enough and that you expect to achieve a grade that is lower than your true potential. This is what I experienced during my GCSEs, as in some modules I got 100% and A*s and others I scraped a D. I think you mean aspirations, and yes it is good to have high aspirations completely.

Hi, yeah i understand, it's just that i'm aiming to study medicine in the future so a high proportion of A*s is generally required to be competitive. Yes, it is partly due to perfectionism but thats what its always been like for me in terms of school due to me setting high standards for myself lol.
I feel like if i set my target for 10A*s it will result in me getting better grades than if I aimed for 5? :redface:
Original post by hxfsxh
Yeah.
Its just a matter of technique and memorisation.

Do you mean exam technique?
Original post by surina16
Hi, yeah i understand, it's just that i'm aiming to study medicine in the future so a high proportion of A*s is generally required to be competitive. Yes, it is partly due to perfectionism but thats what its always been like for me in terms of school due to me setting high standards for myself lol.
I feel like if i set my target for 10A*s it will result in me getting better grades than if I aimed for 5? :redface:

Cool. I started revision a little late and I definitely regret it but if you don't do it probably means you don't want to do it. that's what my mentor has taught me. You have to be motivated and get into the mindset. Are you 16 or something like that? I remember when I was your age and stressing, and I am 18 now. I am doing AS levels, and GCSEs were easier I think before the reforms.

Do have high aspirations, that is good for anyone, but do your best to make sure that they become a reality and that you actually achieve what you want to achieve. I can sit here all day and say to myself I want 3 As at AS level but I know it will never happen if I don't study like it is my full time job.

Do remember that you can't study all of the time and that you need to do other things aswell.

Good luck!
well go and fail then.

wut
Cool. I started revision a little late and I definitely regret it but if you don't do it probably means you don't want to do it. that's what my mentor has taught me. You have to be motivated and get into the mindset. Are you 16 or something like that? I remember when I was your age and stressing, and I am 18 now. I am doing AS levels, and GCSEs were easier I think before the reforms.

Do have high aspirations, that is good for anyone, but do your best to make sure that they become a reality and that you actually achieve what you want to achieve. I can sit here all day and say to myself I want 3 As at AS level but I know it will never happen if I don't study like it is my full time job.

Do remember that you can't study all of the time and that you need to do other things aswell.

Good luck!

yeah - well 16 this month
Good luck in your AS exams!
Original post by Username3097486
Do you mean exam technique?

Yeah

Quick Reply

Latest