The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

What's the library like at Warwick?

I mean in terms of books. Do you ever want a book and find that the library doesn't have it, or is everything you need available?
There has been precisely one occasion where the book I've wanted hasn't been in the library. It also wasn't in any other university library in the country.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by BlueSam3
There has been precisely one occasion where the book I've wanted hasn't been in the library. It also wasn't in any other university library in the country.

what book was this?
Original post by JordanL_
I mean in terms of books. Do you ever want a book and find that the library doesn't have it, or is everything you need available?

It's nice. I think there were a few times when I couldn't get a book immediately but it didn't take long to get it. It's pretty well stocked and had everything I wanted. One course book I took out in the first week of class and just kept renewing it all year; saved myself a fair bit of money there (really not sure why no one else thought to request it :tongue: ).

The library has these little tables with wood walls on either side and a power point for your laptop, I used to do so much work there because of the lack of distractions. Comfy chairs too. It's generally quiet.
Original post by Sabertooth
It's nice. I think there were a few times when I couldn't get a book immediately but it didn't take long to get it. It's pretty well stocked and had everything I wanted. One course book I took out in the first week of class and just kept renewing it all year; saved myself a fair bit of money there (really not sure why no one else thought to request it :tongue: ).

The library has these little tables with wood walls on either side and a power point for your laptop, I used to do so much work there because of the lack of distractions. Comfy chairs too. It's generally quiet.

There just isn't enough space for everyone though, I had to get up at 6am and secure myself a seat at the library in term 3 otherwise chances are you won't get one that day. People just leave their coats/belongings and there's nothing you can really do about that except do it yourself XD. I did hear that they're introducing new spaces sometime soon hopefully it'll be enough.
Original post by Dilzo999
There just isn't enough space for everyone though, I had to get up at 6am and secure myself a seat at the library in term 3 otherwise chances are you won't get one that day. People just leave their coats/belongings and there's nothing you can really do about that except do it yourself XD. I did hear that they're introducing new spaces sometime soon hopefully it'll be enough.

Yeah, I definitely agree it can get extremely busy during term 3. I did most of my terms 1 and 2 work there and found it an excellent environment for studying in.
Reply 6
I have been in the library precisely once, and have never been back, it was that bad
Original post by alka-temp
what book was this?

An obscure maths textbook: not something you're ever likely to need, unless you happen to be writing a dissertation on the same subject as I did and wanting a reference for a particularly obscure point.
Depends on the subject - I personally have never not been frustrated by the library. There are always books ob my recommended and further reading lists that just aren't there, and even more frequently there are books of which the library only has one copy, which has naturally been taken out and has a zillion holds on it within hours of a list being released.

I am also DREADING trying to find revision space for finals in a couple of weeks...
its dank
is it right that it's only open 24/7 during term 3, and does this bother people?
Reply 11
It is only open 24/7 in term 3, but it's open till 12am throughout the rest of the year. Don't see why you'd want to stay past that in terms 1 and 2, so not not really an issue.

Quick Reply