The Student Room Group

is it normal to still have awkward silences?

I've been seeing a girl for about a month or so and I think it's been going well overall.

We had what was our 6th or 7th date last night and I felt like there were moments of awkward silence. At the beginning of the night it was fine, but by the end when we waited on her bus I did feel like it was a little awkward. It seems like when there is no alcohol involved the conversation doesn't flow as well between us (most of out dates have involved at least a couple of drinks).

So basically I'm wondering if this is a bad sign, or if it is totally normal and I am just overthinking things? We're meeting up again tomorrow and I'm now a bit worried that we won't have much to say.
Reply 1
"Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating."

Listen, it's only awkward if you make it awkward. The little noises you make with your mouth to cover the silence will show her that you're uneasy. Stuff like that.

Sure, conversing is an important part of a relationship, but I think being able to comfortably share silence is also important.
Reply 2
You perceive them to be awkward but it could just mean you are at ease in each other's company.

Don't feel the need to talk constantly.

:wink:
Reply 3
Original post by Joel 96
"Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating."

Listen, it's only awkward if you make it awkward. The little noises you make with your mouth to cover the silence will show her that you're uneasy. Stuff like that.

Sure, conversing is an important part of a relationship, but I think being able to comfortably share silence is also important.

Original post by stefano865
You perceive them to be awkward but it could just mean you are at ease in each other's company.

Don't feel the need to talk constantly.

:wink:

Thanks for the advice. I do think my insistence on trying to fill the gaps of silence maybe made it more awkward. Like I said, it was fine until the end of the night after we left the cinema. To be honest, I kind of felt like this was too much of a "date" if you know what I mean? I want to just be able to do stuff and chat with her without it feeling like we are on a date, but maybe we are not there yet.
There comes a time when the silences aren't awkward.
Reply 5
Silences are normal you don't always have to be talking but if you feel awkward during the silences then maybe it is a sign..
Reply 6
Original post by Xenon17
There comes a time when the silences aren't awkward.

Yeah but because we have seen each other 6 or 7 times now I thought that would have come already.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending