The Student Room Group

Is a B at GCSE maths good enough to do it for A - level?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zXcodeXz
I'm getting a C at the moment do you think it's possible for me to get a B or more?

Of course it is. Sometimes to do well you need to knock it off the pedestal and realise how easy it is.
Original post by Dirty Dawah
Of course it is. Sometimes to do well you need to knock it off the pedestal and realise how easy it is.

Thanks, may I ask what you got for GCSE?
Just depends on how hard you work. I pretty much coasted through my GCSE maths and still got an A grade overall, but when I did AS maths for the first time I got a U grade largely due to a lack of preparation and not taking the work load seriously, as well as illness. This year I'm retaking though and I'm on track for a high A grade.
(edited 8 years ago)
To be honest I just need a B or above and I don't know what to do even though my GCSE's are next month
To be honest I just need a B or above and I don't know what to do even though my GCSE's are next month

Just do all the past papers (do them open book and use the mark scheme to help at first). Once you've worked through 4-6+ of them, you'll begin to pick up the techniques for each question and you should find the remaining past papers relatively straightforward. Go back and redo past papers to make sure that you're picking up as many marks as possible. Past papers are key to getting a high grade.
depends on the school mate, some want min B some want min A. But maths is easy. With a bit of practice im 100% sure you can push it up to an A, even an A*
Original post by AmarRPM
Just do all the past papers (do them open book and use the mark scheme to help at first). Once you've worked through 4-6+ of them, you'll begin to pick up the techniques for each question and you should find the remaining past papers relatively straightforward. Go back and redo past papers to make sure that you're picking up as many marks as possible. Past papers are key to getting a high grade.

Ok thanks for your help and one more thing how do you cope with all the exams like throughout the whole of May and June I have 21 exams which are worth 9 GCSE's
Thanks, may I ask what you got for GCSE?

I got an A.

The best lesson I learned at school was not to get intimidated or put off or to make things harder than they are as I feel quite a lot of teachers do do. I knew some guy who flunked GCSE (largely because he was an idiot who behaved badly) who went on to study engineering at one of the top universities in this country.

Clue: it's in London
I got an A.

The best lesson I learned at school was not to get intimidated or put off or to make things harder than they are as I feel quite a lot of teachers do do. I knew some guy who flunked GCSE (largely because he was an idiot who behaved badly) who went on to study engineering at one of the top universities in this country.

wow that's amazing, I'm worried that the exam board will move up the grade boundaries by a lot since this is the last year for the old GCSE's
Ok thanks for your help and one more thing how do you cope with all the exams like throughout the whole of May and June I have 21 exams which are worth 9 GCSE's

Make a timetable and stick to it and make sure you're doing revision/past papers for each subject well in advance. Be organised with your revision in general and you should be fine. Honestly when I did my GCSEs I came out with pretty average results, mainly because I didn't realise how important past papers are (so I did hardly any of them).
Original post by AmarRPM
Make a timetable and stick to it and make sure you're doing revision/past papers for each subject well in advance. Be organised with your revision in general and you should be fine. Honestly when I did my GCSEs I came out with pretty average results, mainly because I didn't realise how important past papers are (so I did hardly any of them).

Thanks so much for your help! :smile:
Original post by Mahfuz_A
I'm very likely to get a B grade at maths in the 2016 exams.
My question is: Will this grade be good enough to do A2 maths?
AND
Will a B at GCSE be enough to achieve an A at A2 maths?

Well, maybe you could revise more? I don't revise Maths much because I'm not that good at it, but I know I need to receive my target (An 8/A*) so I hope to start soon. My Maths teacher says that the good thing about Maths is that apparantley if you practice and practice then you will get more progress than if you did the same for other subjects. I do not know if that is true or it could be for some people.
Some Maths Courses in Sixth Forms require minimum grades. Like the Sixth Form in my town requires an A grade for the Maths Course and an A* for further Maths.

I got told than an A* at GCSE is like a C/D at A Level. I am not sure though but that is what a sixth form student told me. So getting an A at A2 Maths would be hard, but it depends on how good you are at Maths, and if you practice etc
I just don't understand how you can say you're aiming for an A in A level maths then say you're probably going to get a B in the GCSE. That makes no sense.

No offense but if you can't increase your work ethic to the point where you can get an A* in your GCSE's then what makes you think it'll get easier in A levels? You can take maths if you want. But don't aim high for year 12 if you're not aiming high for year 11. Be realistic with your targets
Reply 73
I got an A.

Would you say you worked hard for that A at GCSE ?
Original post by Rajive
Would you say you worked hard for that A at GCSE ?

Not at all, but I think I also worried too much about insignificant things rather than just focusing as I should have done.
Original post by Lawliettt
I just don't understand how you can say you're aiming for an A in A level maths then say you're probably going to get a B in the GCSE. That makes no sense.

No offense but if you can't increase your work ethic to the point where you can get an A* in your GCSE's then what makes you think it'll get easier in A levels? You can take maths if you want. But don't aim high for year 12 if you're not aiming high for year 11. Be realistic with your targets

Yeah that's true my friends brother used to mess around and ended up with a B at GCSE but then knuckled down and got on then he got an A at A2, always go as high as you can don't set limits like I'm only aiming for a B
Reply 76
Not at all, but I think I also worried too much about insignificant things rather than just focusing as I should have done.

You must be quite smart then.lool
Original post by Mahfuz_A
I'm very likely to get a B grade at maths in the 2016 exams.
My question is: Will this grade be good enough to do A2 maths?
AND
Will a B at GCSE be enough to achieve an A at A2 maths?

I got a B at GCSE Math intermediate level, and I'm studying for all my A-level math exams coming up. I'm doing okay so far, so I think a B is fine!
Good luck!
I got an A at Gcse Maths , then got an A in maths & further maths at AS so yeah
its dependent on the entry requirements for the college or sixthform you apply to, i had one which required a minimum of a B whereas others required an A. Have a look around at the entry requirements. i was continuously getting Bs in my mocks however in the real exam last June i got a high A grade, never be certain!

Quick Reply

Latest