The Student Room Group

My journey to getting excellent grades at GCSE

Scroll to see replies

I started properly from December onwards but had some notes in October for mocks. So it basically started from October and I did past papers alongside it
Original post by nisha.sri
WOW ! I am speechless - how have you done all this? How long has it taken you? How long do you revise a day? but well done for all this work you seem to be really motivated :smile: :biggrin:

About a solid 5 hours of working with breaks for every 40 mins approximately. Thank you for the nice comment! :smile:
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
About a solid 5 hours of working with breaks for every 40 mins approximately. Thank you for the nice comment! :smile:

Great and no worries :smile:
*Review of 2/4/16*

1) Physics P7- topic 3/4 done of it for review completely. On track to completing it fully tomorrow

2) Attempted past papers on P7. First one I did, I got 11/13- Approx, high A* ( When scaled up approx to 60 marks) 2nd one, a quick review test one questions and got 8/11. Improvements: conciseness, red-shift.

3) Religous Education Unit 3- Topic 2/4 fully reviewed.

4) RE past paper completed on Matters of Life and Death which I am asking a teacher to mark because it is very subjective. Improvements- Media in relation to this topic.

5) Chemistry C4C5C6- C4 review done. Weaknesses, flame colours.

6) Chemistry C4- 2 sets of past papers, each worth 20 marks done. Results: C4 Paper 1: 19/20 A*, C4 Paper: 17/20- A* Improvements: Patterns in data, Peer review.

7) French- 3 questions done on exampro listening. Results: a) 3/4 b) 1/2 c) 2/4 However, listening skills I've noticed have improved, maybe because of more practise I can get better and get the A*! Vocabulary also learnt from these tests too.

8) Maths- Practise video on graph transformations at A* involving f(x). Understand fully af(x) functions above 1 and below 1.

Overall, I was very pleased with the day and happy I managed to make up for not doing as much yesterday.

Hence so, I will work hard like this but relax more as a chunk of revision has been done and will fit in my schedule to get everything done. :biggrin:
*Review of 2/4/16*

1) Physics P7- topic 3/4 done of it for review completely. On track to completing it fully tomorrow

2) Attempted past papers on P7. First one I did, I got 11/13- Approx, high A* ( When scaled up approx to 60 marks) 2nd one, a quick review test one questions and got 8/11. Improvements: conciseness, red-shift.

3) Religous Education Unit 3- Topic 2/4 fully reviewed.

4) RE past paper completed on Matters of Life and Death which I am asking a teacher to mark because it is very subjective. Improvements- Media in relation to this topic.

5) Chemistry C4C5C6- C4 review done. Weaknesses, flame colours.

6) Chemistry C4- 2 sets of past papers, each worth 20 marks done. Results: C4 Paper 1: 19/20 A*, C4 Paper: 17/20- A* Improvements: Patterns in data, Peer review.

7) French- 3 questions done on exampro listening. Results: a) 3/4 b) 1/2 c) 2/4 However, listening skills I've noticed have improved, maybe because of more practise I can get better and get the A*! Vocabulary also learnt from these tests too.

8) Maths- Practise video on graph transformations at A* involving f(x). Understand fully af(x) functions above 1 and below 1.

Overall, I was very pleased with the day and happy I managed to make up for not doing as much yesterday.

Hence so, I will work hard like this but relax more as a chunk of revision has been done and will fit in my schedule to get everything done. :biggrin:

WOW you've done a lot
WOW you've done a lot

Yeah I tried to get lots of work done, as Sunday is quite busy for me!:biggrin:
Yeah I tried to get lots of work done, as Sunday is quite busy for me!:biggrin:

Haha ok :smile: How long did it take you?
Haha ok :smile: How long did it take you?

Did like 2-3 hours in the morning. Then 3 hours in the afternoon!:biggrin:
Did like 2-3 hours in the morning. Then 3 hours in the afternoon!:biggrin:

WOW well done :smile: :biggrin: I wasn't focused at all yesterday so i didn't do much so today i am going to get more done :smile:

Have a look on my thread as well :tongue:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3934631&page=2&p=63861033#post63861033
WOW well done :smile: :biggrin: I wasn't focused at all yesterday so i didn't do much so today i am going to get more done :smile:

Have a look on my thread as well :tongue:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3934631&page=2&p=63861033#post63861033

I'll take a look at it later! :biggrin:
Hey, I'm also doing GCSE PE on the Edexcel exam board too and I'm in Year 10, however... how are you expected an A* in it? I hate leadership and practical sessions but theory seems ok... it's 60% practical and 40% theory. Help please
Original post by ShiawaseNekox3
Hey, I'm also doing GCSE PE on the Edexcel exam board too and I'm in Year 10, however... how are you expected an A* in it? I hate leadership and practical sessions but theory seems ok... it's 60% practical and 40% theory. Help please

Because at the moment on my four practicals, I have done 2 so far. I have got 10/10 on my first one and 10/10 on the second sport. The next sports I have left is athletics and hockey, which I expect 9s and 10s on. Next, my PEP (10%) has got 100% because of the detail. Furthermore, on my theory, without revising, as we had not been taught the whole course, I managed to be 5 marks of an A*. Without any assistance and teaching, I managed this. Therefore, I am quite sure with the revision and due to my good practical scores, I'll achieve an A*.

Hope I have answered fully, please ask me if you need more answers.:biggrin:
Hey Guys,

Do you reckon looking at the examiners report is useful ? :biggrin:
Hey Guys,

Do you reckon looking at the examiners report is useful ? :biggrin:

Yeah, you get a perspective of how an examiner marks so you can suit your technique to that. I don't use it much though
Yeah, you get a perspective of how an examiner marks so you can suit your technique to that. I don't use it much though

Yh neither do i :smile: Just asked if anyone actually uses and i don't think people do :smile:
Review of 3/4/16
Not as productive today but plan to make up for it big tomorrow.
1/P7 big review done
2/ P7 past paper questions done but leaving a paper because there's only 2 years worth of it.
3/ Organised past papers to use it across April
Review of 3/4/16
Not as productive today but plan to make up for it big tomorrow.
1/P7 big review done
2/ P7 past paper questions done but leaving a paper because there's only 2 years worth of it.
3/ Organised past papers to use it across April

Hey, well done this is literally exactly what i am doing today but P3 what a Coincidence :smile:

So today 04/04/2016:
I'm going to the dentist which is going to take forever but i want to get a fair amount of work done.

1. Look through Physics Unit 3 - Review it & Memorise Info
2. Past Papers & Weaknesses
3. Times for past papers and Dates
Hey, well done this is literally exactly what i am doing today but P3 what a Coincidence :smile:

So today 04/04/2016:
I'm going to the dentist which is going to take forever but i want to get a fair amount of work done.

1. Look through Physics Unit 3 - Review it & Memorise Info
2. Past Papers & Weaknesses
3. Times for past papers and Dates

Awesome! I'm planning to get more done today
(edited 8 years ago)
Awesome! I'm planning to get more done tomorrow

Oh Great :smile:
Hello everyone!:smile::smile:

So this year, I am very motivated to get those awesome grades at GCSE by trying my hardest in all the subjects I will sit exams in.

I did Literature last year and got an A*!

Here are what I expect to get!

Biology- A*
Chemistry- A*
Physics- A*
Maths- A*
English Language- A*
RE- A*
History- A*
PE- A*
French- A ( Still will try my best to get A* in it, although it is hard)
Computing A

Total: 9A*s 2A's

I've started my revision for these exams. Biology, Chemistry and Physics, I've finished Unit 1 revision for all of them. I am a module into unit Unit 2( there is three topics in each module). So for Science I am definitely on track! :tongue:

Maths, I have learned my topics and done a lot of practise so it is just revising key bits which secures my marks.

English- It is all about doing practise. You need to polish up the exam technique. That is something I will definitely practise over the course of the coming months.

RE- I have finished paper 1 revision so just need to get started on paper 2 revision ( Unit 8).

History- There are two papers. I have revised as of yet one module of paper one. So I need to get going in history more at the moment.

PE- Done most revision. Just do papers and revise key things I struggle to understand.

French- Currently revising vocab and doing papers but I have a written exam coming up too.

Computer Science- So far doing alright in coursework. Also halfway through exam revision.
:biggrin:
Here are my exam boards: :h:

Science- OCR
Maths - Edexcel
English- WJEC
RE- Edexcel
History- AQA
PE- Edexcel
French- AQA
Computing- OCR

So my update schedule for this thread will be once a week where I update where I am at with everything. So far things are looking good revision wise, just need to speed up with a few and then I am ready!

Thanks for reading!:wink:

Hey, the grades that you want to get are great. I wanted to ask how you revise for maths because i do the same exam board but i just cant answer the questions properly. Also what topics do you do for history because I also do aqa but they have lots of different topics??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending