The Student Room Group

Adult Nursing at Southampton and UEA

Has anyone applied/firmed either Adult Nursing at Southampton or UEA? I really liked both but can't decide what to firm as they are both BBB. I was going to put one as my firm and one as my insurance and hope that one would drop the grades - is this a bad idea as I don't want to not end up with a place and have to pay tuition fees next year?
Also what halls have you applied for? I would really appreciate any help with deciding how to choose your firm uni if anyone else has had the same problem! Thanks so much x
Original post by hannahgladstone
Has anyone applied/firmed either Adult Nursing at Southampton or UEA? I really liked both but can't decide what to firm as they are both BBB. I was going to put one as my firm and one as my insurance and hope that one would drop the grades - is this a bad idea as I don't want to not end up with a place and have to pay tuition fees next year?
Also what halls have you applied for? I would really appreciate any help with deciding how to choose your firm uni if anyone else has had the same problem! Thanks so much x

Have you looked in the University of Southampton and University of East Anglia (UEA) forums?

Two universities with the same offer as firm and insurance is fine in some cases but you need to do it with your eyes open. In reality very few students end up at their insurance (~8% of applicants). The only caveat is to only do this if you think you have a very good chance of either hitting your offer or only missing by a single grade.

If you're concerned about missing your grades and a gap year isn't an offer and you have lower offers from courses that would be preferable to a gap year then I'd suggest having one of those as your insurance. But don't pick an insurance if you hate the place or would be miserable.
Original post by hannahgladstone

Some sound advice from PQ. There is also clearing on results day if you happened to miss out on both - it's a gamble though!

What is your thinking so far with UEA and Southampton? Don't forget accommodation is only guaranteed here if you firm us, while we do everything we can for those who put us as an insurance we can't guarantee it. It's just one of the things to consider :smile:
Reply 3
Yes, I am firming Southampton for adult nursing. I am looking at accommodation now. I liked the new halls in the City Centre (Mayflower) but don't know if most people will stay nearer the uni. I liked the new halls called City Gateway. Which accommodation will you choose if you go to Southampton?

Quick Reply

Latest