The Student Room Group

Why do people break up?

What are some of the reasons people break up?
Original post by Anonymous
What are some of the reasons people break up?

cheating?
Reply 2
Rubbish sex, which leads to cheating.
distance
- physical - no sex / bad sex, don't live near, little touch, sex with others
- emotional - not sharing time, values, selfishness, different priorities
both lead to jealousy and insecurity in a lot of cases
Reply 4
Cheating
Mental or physical abuse
Outgrown each other in terms of interests and views and just not being on the same page any more
Develop feelings for someone else
Lose all love for their partner
Distance
Outside pressure such as from parents if the couple is young
Addiction problems
Health problem - not everyone can deal with being with someone who is chronically ill
Liquid Nitrogen
Sometimes the relationship wasn't right in the first place:redface:

People undergo the 'halo effect' and disregard consciously or subconsciously large negative personality traits that directly oppose theirs.:tongue: (because the aesthetic appeal of the body/face overrides the other aspects)

As the halo effect wears off in the relationship ( as you see their face/body everyday) personality comes to the fore and the little things become big problems:frown:

And thats why personality is more important in the long run! :biggrin:
All sorts of different reasons. Pretty much impossible to list them all as people all have different experiences.
Reply 8
Original post by XOR_
Liquid Nitrogen

Nice Berserk picture
Original post by kkboyk
Nice Berserk picture

Thanks man. Nice to see another Berserk fan.
Original post by Spock's Socks
Cheating
Mental or physical abuse
Outgrown each other in terms of interests and views and just not being on the same page any more
Develop feelings for someone else
Lose all love for their partner
Distance
Outside pressure such as from parents if the couple is young
Addiction problems
Health problem - not everyone can deal with being with someone who is chronically ill

Lol careful dating girls close with their mother, especially if she's downright nasty, complete poison sabotaging relationships left right and centre
Me and my boyfriend are currently both in the middle of exam season and we also live a couple of hours apart, so its made it very difficult since we haven't/won't get to see each other for a couple of months. I have definitely noticed some strain on our relationship but its mainly due to stress and we've worked through it before so we can again :smile: I would say distance is a big contributing factor to breaking up, just because online communication isn't anywhere near as fulfilling as the real thing. You just have to get through it though, the difference between failed LDRs and successful ones is a mutual love and trust in one another. We are apart a lot, but we both know we'll get to see one another eventually and that makes it all worthwhile! :biggrin:
Reply 12
lying, er i hate lying
Distance for me... and that made us lose feelings and i think we went too fast and then it died too quickly but oh well.. tough cookies for everyone involved
Original post by thefatone
cheating?

I probably should've added that reasons aside from cheating.
Reply 15
You were either never comparable at the beginning or passion burns out because one person is more serious than the other about commitment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending