The Student Room Group

Revision help with AQA Triple Science

I have my science GCSES in May and June and I'm desperate to get A*'s in all three. I got A*'s in my mocks. But I have been revising recently using a lot of past papers from the website and CGP papers and I'm not doing very well. I got 50/60 in one of the B1 CGP papers but the grade boundary for them is 51 and in a recent B1 CGP paper i only got 42 which is equivalent to a B according to their boundaries, it was my worst mark out of all the B1 papers I have done but it was also the most recent after looking over my mistakes in the previous papers. I just can't seem to get secure A*s and now i'm panicking a lot and can barely concentrate on other subjects. please tell me what I'm doing wrong because I look over all my mistakes and reading over them in textbooks and seem to understand them but I'm not improving and I'm running out of time and papers.
Original post by Sameen29
I have my science GCSES in May and June and I'm desperate to get A*'s in all three. I got A*'s in my mocks. But I have been revising recently using a lot of past papers from the website and CGP papers and I'm not doing very well. I got 50/60 in one of the B1 CGP papers but the grade boundary for them is 51 and in a recent B1 CGP paper i only got 42 which is equivalent to a B according to their boundaries, it was my worst mark out of all the B1 papers I have done but it was also the most recent after looking over my mistakes in the previous papers. I just can't seem to get secure A*s and now i'm panicking a lot and can barely concentrate on other subjects. please tell me what I'm doing wrong because I look over all my mistakes and reading over them in textbooks and seem to understand them but I'm not improving and I'm running out of time and papers.

Hey,
I also do triple science AQA and i also want A* :smile:
Try organising and re doing past papers again ::smile:
Reply 2
But what's the point of redoing papers? I'll probably remember the answers and I don't get second chances at my actual GCSE. And another thing I redid a Chemistry paper in which i got 42/60, the second time I got 57/60. But i'm not consistently getting 57/60 in Chemistry papers at best I get is 53 sometimes and in the CGP ones, which have really high grade boundaries i barely scrape an A*.
But what's the point of redoing papers? I'll probably remember the answers and I don't get second chances at my actual GCSE. And another thing I redid a Chemistry paper in which i got 42/60, the second time I got 57/60. But i'm not consistently getting 57/60 in Chemistry papers at best I get is 53 sometimes and in the CGP ones, which have really high grade boundaries i barely scrape an A*.

That is true :smile: I don't really know or search for some really really old past papers :smile: But you have to look carefully
idk this is why I don't do CGP papers
just do the ones from AQA and see how you do :smile:
Reply 5
Anyone else please? I'm desperate for A*'s in all sciences.
Use past papers from different exam boards and answer questions u know u have to know. I know that there are gonna be things that u don't know but its not gonna be that different. The exam boards are pretty similar. I do this and I maintain the mark 55/60 at least when I do edexcel past papers (my exam board is edexcel).
Im going to start doing the rest of the edexcel past papers in 1-2 weeks time because my first science exam is on the 17th May. So depending on when your first science exam is you should start doing the AQA papers :smile: good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
But the AQA mark schemes seem to be ridiculously specific about what they want us to write?
But the AQA mark schemes seem to be ridiculously specific about what they want us to write?

Maybe thats why its helping me since I am very specific and add every detail haha. Um im not sure then. Maybe ur problem is exam skill? But im not actually sure how to fix that other than doing exam papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Turn the questions into revision cards with the question on one side and every possible answer on the back, jumble them up and constantly test yourself, that way you will get used to the amount of information and specificity of each answer you can give :smile:

(edited 8 years ago)

I know right it's really annoying
Reply 11
You do know that controlled assessment can push your grade up by 20% or something.
Reply 12
The problem is I got 43/50 in my Biology one and the other ones may be lowered due to moderation. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I read over my mistakes after each paper and revise the topic in the textbook. But every paper there seems to be a new topic that I make a mistake in :/ and sometimes I repeat the same mistakes. It's affecting my revision for all my other subjects.

I need a way to use my past papers effectively and i want to know what to do when I run out. I'm not a very creative person and I'm used to writing notes and reading from a text book.
(edited 8 years ago)
I did aqa science GCSEs as well. When I revised it helped me to turn my cgp revision guides into flashcards: whenever they talk about something in bullet points or lists, write it on a card. Make a pack for each exam, so 9 if you're doing separate sciences. Then revise each pack a lot. You'll find you remember things much better. No point in using up papers if you're still lacking the info. Good luck!
Reply 14
Original post by ¡Muy bien!
I did aqa science GCSEs as well. When I revised it helped me to turn my cgp revision guides into flashcards: whenever they talk about something in bullet points or lists, write it on a card. Make a pack for each exam, so 9 if you're doing separate sciences. Then revise each pack a lot. You'll find you remember things much better. No point in using up papers if you're still lacking the info. Good luck!

I don't know if I have enough time before my exams :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest