The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology SNAB 6BI04 ~ 6BIO5 June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Feraligatr
Started my annotations for the pre-release already

Based on my annotations, I assume the following may pop up:
- Genes, DNA, PCR, translation, transcription (unit 4) and transcription factors (unit 5)
- Global warming (there's mentions of carbon dioxide here and there)
- Structure of bacteria, cell walls of bacteria - Mycoplasma are a genus of bacteria that lack cell walls
- Photosynthesis, GPP, NPP, biomass
- Stem Cells, ethics
- Biological molecules (maybe)
- Drug development
- Brain matter (very vague though)
- Enzyme structure and proteins

Yep, I've predicted all that too :smile: Also cancer (unit 2), human genome project, genetic engineering, switching on and off genes, master genes and cloning etc
Original post by mechanism
I have a question about getting the A*! I got 265 UMS at AS (A). I know I need 90% in both Unit 4 and 5, but what overall UMS do I need to get an A*? Like I'm sure you have to get a minimum of ___ UMS and then A* in Unit 4 and 5 for the A*. Any help would be appreciated

minimum ums of 270/300 from units 4,5 and 6, totalling a minimum of 480 across as and a2. i.e 108/120 in unit 4, 108/120 in unit 5 and 54/60 in unit 6.
Original post by PlayerBB
Okay thanks!
It also says that when depolarisation occurs, localised currents are generated in the membrane, so what does it mean and what are they for ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You might find this useful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZG8M_ldA1M If your question is still not answered I'll get back to you on it. How are the past papers going?
Original post by PsychoD
You might find this useful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZG8M_ldA1M If your question is still not answered I'll get back to you on it. How are the past papers going?

Thank you, he really boosted my understanding :h:!!!

I haven't properly started with past papers, I am just trying to finish learning bio unit 5 as fast as I can :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by PsychoD
minimum ums of 270/300 from units 4,5 and 6, totalling a minimum of 480 across as and a2. i.e 108/120 in unit 4, 108/120 in unit 5 and 54/60 in unit 6.

If I got 258 ums at AS what would I need at A2 to get an A overall?
also what would I need if I didn't do very well in the coursework?
Original post by 1234567hh
If I got 258 ums at AS what would I need at A2 to get an A overall?
also what would I need if I didn't do very well in the coursework?

An overall a grade is 480 ums. So I'm sure you can work out what ums is needed this year. If you know your coursework grade you/I can work out what you need to get an a grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PsychoD
An overall a grade is 480 ums. So I'm sure you can work out what ums is needed this year. If you know your coursework grade you/I can work out what you need to get an a grade.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So I would need 222 ums this year overall? I don't know what I got for my coursework, just want to be prepared for the worst so say if I got 30 ums in my coursework, I would need 96 in both my exams - that seems weird because that's only just an A?
Original post by PsychoD

Okay, but if I got less than 54 in unit 6 won't my AS UMS make up for the lost UMS in my coursework? Or do you have to get an A* in the coursework as well? :/
Okay, but if I got less than 54 in unit 6 won't my AS UMS make up for the lost UMS in my coursework? Or do you have to get an A* in the coursework as well? :/

You have to average 90% across all three A2 units. Therefore technically no, you don't need an A* in the coursework if you did really well in the other two units.
AS UMS does not contribute to the A*. You need 90% average across a2 units and an a grade overall. You could get 120/120 in unit 4, 120/120 in unit 5 and only need 30 ums in the coursework and still get an A*.
Does anyone have the link for the pre-release? Not sure if I've printed the right one. The one I printed is about aging and disease, free radicals, parkinsons disease.
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Does anyone have the link for the pre-release? Not sure if I've printed the right one. The one I printed is about aging and disease, free radicals, parkinsons disease.

Are you doing IAL?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by A-LJLB
Are you doing IAL?

No I printed the international one by mistake. Got the right one now. Thanks.
(edited 8 years ago)
2015 past papers available if you've finished the other papers or want to test your AS Biology :erm: knowing that some of my guesses and tangents were right feels good though :cool:
Original post by PsychoD
2015 past papers available if you've finished the other papers or want to test your AS Biology :erm: knowing that some of my guesses and tangents were right feels good though :cool:

Awkward when I have my unit 5 mock end of April....
Original post by A-LJLB
Awkward when I have my unit 5 mock end of April....

If your mock is the 2015 paper then you don't have to look at it :biggrin:
Original post by PsychoD
If your mock is the 2015 paper then you don't have to look at it :biggrin:

I don't know for sure but it would make sense, however surely they should know they'd be released to the public? Bit too late for that :redface:
Original post by A-LJLB
I don't know for sure but it would make sense, however surely they should know they'd be released to the public? Bit too late for that :redface:

Not sure tbh. My school never did stringently controlled exam prep, rather working through exams as pairs. Do the paper if you want to; at this point it's all about you not the school.
Q) In unit 5 to do with spirometers do we need to know about Vital Capacity, Residual Volume, Inspiratory reserve volume etc. I think it's a bit advanced so I want to skip it but is anyone else revising it or even heard of it.
Reply 139
Original post by Ladymusiclover
Q) In unit 5 to do with spirometers do we need to know about Vital Capacity, Residual Volume, Inspiratory reserve volume etc. I think it's a bit advanced so I want to skip it but is anyone else revising it or even heard of it.

I dont think that's included.. just the tidal volume and breathing rate!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending