The Student Room Group

What's it really like being an English Lit student?

I'm interested in taking English Lit as a degree (I'm doing GCSE's at the moment). I was curious to hear what real English lit students think about their subject at Uni and what it's like studying it compared to studying English at school/college.

(:
Reply 1
You have a lot of free time. It's basically a self taught course and if you've got half a brain you'll do fine even if you skip seminars and lectures - I never found them particularly helpful. Plus examiners expect you to come up with more original ideas anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by justag
You have a lot of free time. It's basically a self taught course and if you've got half a brain you'll do fine even if you skip seminars and lectures - I never found them particularly helpful. Plus examiners expect you to come up with more original ideas anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aha, okay.
Thanks!
Reply 3
Hate the bastard subject
Original post by HeimIX
Hate the bastard subject

Sounds intense.

How come?
Reply 5
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
Sounds intense.

How come?

The Essays.

Its like I've got permanent writers block, I know how to do the questions but I can't seem to express my ideas coherently, I always get B's in it :frown: I'm really hoping for an A at the end of GCSE's.
Original post by HeimIX
The Essays.

Its like I've got permanent writers block, I know how to do the questions but I can't seem to express my ideas coherently, I always get B's in it :frown: I'm really hoping for an A at the end of GCSE's.

oh man, sounds like a pain.

have you tried mind mapping your ideas before you begin your essays? for me personally, having a plan before you write always helps. c:
Reply 7
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
oh man, sounds like a pain.

have you tried mind mapping your ideas before you begin your essays? for me personally, having a plan before you write always helps. c:

No I've never tried mind mapping, i always thought it would take up too much of my time in the exam, I really don't like planning, i never know how to actually do one, i think the problem with me is actual sentence starters. If there was like a template I could always use when writing I'm sure an A* would be secured.
Some important things to keep in mind when considering studying English Literature:

- It's true that it is a very independent course, and not largely fact-based like science or law (for example) would be. It's very much about bringing your own ideas and interpretations to the book or literature that you're studying.
- I'd say it's fairly important to like or love reading because, obviously, you will be doing a LOT of it.
- Exams are basically all essay based, and you will probably have a lot more coursework and essays to do than other subjects, with less exams.
- The amount of work goes up a lot from A Level to University - at my A Levels I did 3 books a term, but at University it was more like 3 books a week.
- Be confident with your ideas!

As you're only doing your GCSE's at the moment, I would say try and pay attention to the best ways that you learn, and which areas of study/exams you do best in. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions! :h:
Original post by Fox Corner
Some important things to keep in mind when considering studying English Literature:

- It's true that it is a very independent course, and not largely fact-based like science or law (for example) would be. It's very much about bringing your own ideas and interpretations to the book or literature that you're studying.
- I'd say it's fairly important to like or love reading because, obviously, you will be doing a LOT of it.
- Exams are basically all essay based, and you will probably have a lot more coursework and essays to do than other subjects, with less exams.
- The amount of work goes up a lot from A Level to University - at my A Levels I did 3 books a term, but at University it was more like 3 books a week.
- Be confident with your ideas!

As you're only doing your GCSE's at the moment, I would say try and pay attention to the best ways that you learn, and which areas of study/exams you do best in. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions! :h:

This was really helpful - thank you. c:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending