The Student Room Group

Medicine as a 3rd degree.

Hi all.

I have google searched this and I can't find anything out there other than people going from BSc>>>MSc>>>GEM.

Well, my journey is a little different. I have a BA in English and will soon have a BSc in Nursing. I knew during my first degree that I wanted a career as a health professional hence the 2nd degree.

I'm quite happy to have a career in Nursing if medicine is not an option but a part of me wants to challenge myself and apply to medicine. I was interested in it during my first degree but because it was unrelated I thought it was unrealistic - plus the competition for grad entry is so high that I knew I'd have no chance with my education back then. I feel like I'm in a much better position now - with better knowledge of the profession/nhs/science etc, plus heaps more experience.

I've found some 4 year courses which have various entry requirements and I think if I take the UKCAT or GAMSAT then I should be eligible for a few of them.

But...would they look at me any differently for having 2 undergraduate degrees (positively or negatively). And importantly - would I get any funding? My first degree was funded my student finance and my second degree has been funded by the NHS and part funded by student finance. Would someone like me get any more funding for a 4 yr grad entry medicine course?

Would love to hear some thoughts/opinions/facts on this in general or from anyone who has done this.

Thanks so much x

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing BA > MSc > 5 year medicine. This wasn't that hard a route but will be pretty hard to finance. The teaching/learning though should be better in a 5 year degree...
Reply 2
As long as you got 2:1's I wouldn't think they'd care.
Original post by Medicnohoperno.9
I'm doing BA > MSc > 5 year medicine. This wasn't that hard a route but will be pretty hard to finance. The teaching/learning though should be better in a 5 year degree...

If you don't mind me asking, how are you financing it? From what I've read it's around 40K. I definitely won't have that after my 2nd degree.
Original post by liam__
As long as you got 2:1's I wouldn't think they'd care.

I see, so no added advantage? I know at some places there are extra 'points' for firsts and MScs. Not sure if I get extra points for 2 undergraduate degrees.

Also, do you know if my funding options would be the same as every other graduate for the 4 year route?
Original post by KatieBlogger
I see, so no added advantage? I know at some places there are extra 'points' for firsts and MScs. Not sure if I get extra points for 2 undergraduate degrees.

Also, do you know if my funding options would be the same as every other graduate for the 4 year route?

I think a lot of them say they will only count the grade you got in your first degree (unless they want a particular degree, like a health/science one) - So, so long as you achieved good grades you'll be fine!
Original post by High Stakes
I think a lot of them say they will only count the grade you got in your first degree (unless they want a particular degree, like a health/science one) - So, so long as you achieved good grades you'll be fine!

Thanks! 2.1 in my first degree but it's non-science. Hopefully 1st in my BSc.
Original post by KatieBlogger

Some unis give you points for the level of previous study. It varies from place to place but it's like PhD gets you most points, Masters get less and undergrads get less again. Sometimes it's used to offset a UKCAT score, the threshold will be lower for those with a master's or PhD.

Re: funding. Who knows what it will be like for next year :s At the moment I think you would get the same loans as someone with just the one degree. Could be worth checking with student finance to confirm before you set off down the path. You will deffo need £3500 to cover fees in first year though. You can't get a loan for the full amount even with just one degree.
I know this thread is over a year old, but I'm curious - as a medicine as a third degree applicant - did you apply to any medicine courses and if so, how did you get on?

I have a 2:1 BA(Hons), a 1st class BSc (hons) and a PGcert, so I really took the scenic route and I'm hoping that I won't look too flighty!! haha
Personally, I can't see it going for me in any huge way, but at the same time, I can't see it going against me either - not everyone gets there using the more obviously trodden path!

Latest

Trending

Trending