The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Probably worth mentioning @Zottula, they did Geology at Imperial if I recall correctly.
Reply 2
Original post by Plagioclase
Probably worth mentioning @Zottula, they did Geology at Imperial if I recall correctly.

Thank you 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3

You remember correctly :smile:

Original post by SciLife
Hi all, I'm thinking of making Imperial one of my uni choices for Geology but what is it like studying it there? Is there a high volume of maths content or is it reasonable?

Thank you :smile:

Very much enjoyed studying there. Course was very good, majority of lecturers were good - great speakers, passionate, always willing to help. The other students were driven and interested in the subject, so it was a great learning environment. The Earth Sciences department had a very close knit community. Work load was not too bad in first year, but does get quite intense in later years, especially with independent projects.

There is a lot of maths (less so than the geophysics course obviously), but it does depend on which modules you pick. So you can keep it to a reasonable level if you don't want it to be too heavy. Bit subjective though, I don't know what you would consider to be a "reasonable" amount. I expect the amount of maths content at Imperial is higher than most other geology courses.

Feel free to ask me more about the course :smile:.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Zottula
You remember correctly :smile:

Very much enjoyed studying there. Course was very good, majority of lecturers were good - great speakers, passionate, always willing to help. The other students were driven and interested in the subject, so it was a great learning environment. The Earth Sciences department had a very close knit community. Work load was not too bad in first year, but does get quite intense in later years, especially with independent projects.

There is a lot of maths (less so than the geophysics course obviously), but it does depend on which modules you pick. So you can keep it to a reasonable level if you don't want it to be too heavy. Bit subjective though, I don't know what you would consider to be a "reasonable" amount. I expect the amount of maths content at Imperial is higher than most other geology courses.

Feel free to ask me more about the course :smile:.

Thank you this is really helpful!😊 I haven't done maths at a level as I didn't decide to pursue geology until early this year so do you think I would struggle with the course? I would say I am average at maths as I do chemistry and that involves quite a bit of maths I guess. Also what is the life at imperial like regarding social life and what the majority of people are like there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by SciLife
Thank you this is really helpful!😊 I haven't done maths at a level as I didn't decide to pursue geology until early this year so do you think I would struggle with the course? I would say I am average at maths as I do chemistry and that involves quite a bit of maths I guess. Also what is the life at imperial like regarding social life and what the majority of people are like there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, no problem :smile:.

While Maths at A level would be very helpful, you don't need to worry about it too much provided you did well at GCSE. Those without A level Maths would do a course in 1st year to get them up to the required level. If you're not good at maths then yes, that may be a bit of a struggle, but if GCSE maths was fine for you and you're coping with the Maths element of A level Chemistry then you will be fine. Most people I know coped with it fine, and the 1 or 2 people that really struggled managed to get some extra support from the department, or made up marks in other areas.

The fact that you do Chemistry is really good though. Geology has a massive chemistry component. The high temperature geochemistry stuff is the best!

Overall people at the uni were bright, hardworking and driven. Yes, it is quite a nerdy environment overall but that really suited me. I will admit I tended to hang around with the less outgoing, more nerdy awkward types. But there were plenty of people who were more outgoing, and just like normal people their age (whatever that means....). It's like anywhere, there is a mix of people with different interests, likes/dislikes and you'll soon find somewhere to fit in. The university has a massive range of clubs/societies, so you'll find something to your liking, and will have the opportunity to meet like-minded people. Due to the work load you won't be able to join everything though!

The environment in halls was very nice and friendly. The wardens were very supportive, and regular social events were organised.

You'll also find the Earth Science and Engineering department to be very friendly and close-knit. People were perhaps on average bit more sociable than in other departments. Due to the field work element, you end up developing a closer bond with lecturers and other students than you would in other departments. Male-female ratio is also much healthier than in the rest of the college.
Reply 6
Original post by Zottula
Hey, no problem :smile:.

You'll also find the Earth Science and Engineering department to be very friendly and close-knit. People were perhaps on average bit more sociable than in other departments. Due to the field work element, you end up developing a closer bond with lecturers and other students than you would in other departments. Male-female ratio is also much healthier than in the rest of the college.

I should be able to manage it fine then because I did well at GCSE maths and am handling the maths at chemistry fine. Geochemistry is one of the modules that I'm really looking forward to studying! It sounds so interesting😁

It seems like it's a really nice environment to be in which is great, and I'm so glad that the Earth Science department has a much healthier male:female ratio as I've heard many departments are prod innately male😅

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Hi! What about A-level Physics? I had only taken Physics for AS but decided to drop it in A2. Will I affect much in Geology course? Imperial is one of my dream school and I really want to get in. I am applying with my predicted grades AAA and AS results which are low 90s for all subjects. I also have a few work experiences related to the field. May I know what else does it take to get in Imperial?
Original post by Janel32
Hi! What about A-level Physics? I had only taken Physics for AS but decided to drop it in A2. Will I affect much in Geology course? Imperial is one of my dream school and I really want to get in. I am applying with my predicted grades AAA and AS results which are low 90s for all subjects. I also have a few work experiences related to the field. May I know what else does it take to get in Imperial?

You don't need A Level Physics for Geology at Imperial (only for Geophysics) - they will give you 'catch up' classes when you arrive but I don't think it will significantly disadvantage you. As long as you have the subjects you need and the grades they're looking for, it's fine. Work experience is great for you, but I don't think they can give you an advantage because of it since not everyone is able to get relevant work experience. Other than good grades, enthusiasm and evidence of having read around the subject are very important things to have!
Do they accept maths and further maths?
Original post by Theplace
Do they accept maths and further maths?

Of course... as long as you have physics too, obviously.
For geology at Imperial.
Is maths and further maths and geog competitive enough?
For geology at Imperial.
Is maths and further maths and geog competitive enough?

Yes. Although you will have a harder time without Chemistry or Physics, if you get in.
Thanks plagioclase.
I think they teach Chem, no?
Also, did you do,the degree?
Thanks plagioclase.
I think they teach Chem, no?
Also, did you do,the degree?

Please quote me in if you reply (by using the reply button) so I get notified and don't miss your response.

Yes, they do teach physics and chemistry from scratch for people who don't have it at A Level but they're going to teach it at a much faster rate than you'd cover it at A Level so it will be harder. Certainly not impossible, but harder. I'm not at Imperial, sorry.
Please quote me in if you reply (by using the reply button) so I get notified and don't miss your response.

Yes, they do teach physics and chemistry from scratch for people who don't have it at A Level but they're going to teach it at a much faster rate than you'd cover it at A Level so it will be harder. Certainly not impossible, but harder. I'm not at Imperial, sorry.

Thanks again.
May I ask, do they teach to as or a level and is it similar to the as or a level physics or chemistry?
Thanks again.
May I ask, do they teach to as or a level and is it similar to the as or a level physics or chemistry?

As I say I'm not at Imperial so I can't say for certain but at my university they basically taught the critical knowledge you need to know in a normal lecture style so it's certainly possible to understand but it's just harder than if you already had it at A Level.
As I say I'm not at Imperial so I can't say for certain but at my university they basically taught the critical knowledge you need to know in a normal lecture style so it's certainly possible to understand but it's just harder than if you already had it at A Level.

Great, so no lab work. Does it cover as level or a level? Would I be able,to say I have as or a level equivalent of chemistry, after.
I am looking forward to taking chemistry and a challenge, simce I could not take it at my school, for A level.
Which uni did you attend?
Can you suggest some reading around the subject sites or books please.
Great, so no lab work. Does it cover as level or a level? Would I be able,to say I have as or a level equivalent of chemistry, after.
I am looking forward to taking chemistry and a challenge, simce I could not take it at my school, for A level.
Which uni did you attend?

It doesn't follow the A Level curriculum, it teaches enough chemistry so that you can deal with the course. Since most of the chemistry you will be using is thermodynamics, kinetics, equilibria and inorganic chemistry, these are the areas they will focus on. They probably will not teach inorganic chemistry in a lot of depth. So no, you probably wouldn't have the equivalent of A Level chemistry. But again, I don't know because I'm not at Imperial, I'm at Oxford.

Latest

Trending

Trending