The Student Room Group

Sikhs: Would you marry a Muslim?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cupcakes87
Nope

Why not?
Original post by fire_and_ice
Yes, I know. What I mean is that some people, despite knowing the rules, do not practise/follow the rules (like me, ashamedly or unashamedly, depending on the situation). I personally don't see the issue with marrying a non-Muslim, monotheistic person since essentially (I believe), the person believes in the same God but follows a different path to connect with God.

I know most Muslims don't hold the same view, like my parents, but it depends on the subjects point of view.

Haha I completely understood your point.

Tbh I think its up to people. If you're religious, marry within your own religion, if not, then don't restrict yourself.

And what?! Your parents are Muslims?! I always thought you were Hindu? :biggrin:
It was sarcasm, considering how low the probability is that he will succeed in persuading her/her family.

Anyway, under what authority are you to say she will go to hell?

My sarcasm detector not too good today. Sorry!

I'm not making a definite ruling on her or anyone. I am simply commenting on the hypothetical scenario of someone committing major sins like zina on an every day basis. It is very likely they will go to hell.
Original post by Anonymous
Like my thread said before. I'm a Sikh guy and I'm going to ask a Muslim girl.

Just wondering if any other Sikhs would be open to do the same. Just wondering.

Nope
Actually our holy scripture doesn't mention anything about us not being allowed to marry Muslims, or any non-Sikhs.

Who told you that anyway?

Well I don't know about scriptures but Guru Arjan dev Ji was killed by muslims, there were disturbing paintings of his death in our old Gurdwara.

My mum who is very religious told me.
Also if I say it from a Sikh perspective. The answer to your question is no.
Reply 26
Nope
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Well I don't know about scriptures but Guru Arjan dev Ji was killed by muslims, there were disturbing paintings of his death in our old Gurdwara.

My mum who is very religious told me.

And that is very true. He was executed by Jahangir.

I don't see why all 1.6 billion+ Muslims should be held accountable for that.

And I really don't see that as a reason to not marry a Muslim...
A Muslim man can marry a Muslim, Christian or Jewish woman but a Muslim woman can only marry a Muslim man.
Also if I say it from a Sikh perspective. The answer to your question is no.

From a Sikh's perspective. You can't represent all Sikhs.
Original post by TheBBQ
Nope

and why not?
And that is very true. He was executed by Jahangir.

I don't see why all 1.6 billion+ Muslims should be held accountable for that.

And I really don't see that as a reason to not marry a Muslim...

Well mixed-religion marriages are frowned upon in Sikhism. Remember that gurdwara incident awhile back? (The christian man and the Sikh girl).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by preetg97
Nope

and why not?

I should have asked why/why not, in my OP...
From a Sikh's perspective. You can't represent all Sikhs.

I didn't say that -___- Did I say that? Did I say I was representing all sikhs? Do you think I can possibly represent all sikhs?

Ugh I hate TSR sometimes :colonhash:

Obviously I was talking from my perspective, back to when I was very religious, the answer would have been a definite no.
Original post by BrokenLife
Haha I completely understood your point.

Tbh I think its up to people. If you're religious, marry within your own religion, if not, then don't restrict yourself.

And what?! Your parents are Muslims?! I always thought you were Hindu? :biggrin:

Nope, lol! My family is Muslim! What made you think I was Hindu?

And yes, although when you say 'religious', it's open to interpretation. My view is quite unorthodox, or liberal, which most would disagree with. I think if you're truly religious and understand the complicated, deeper and transcendental stuff in Islam, you can see Islam in everything, every religion (well, maybe not every religion, but most monotheistic religions) becomes a path to the worship of that one God, every law around you (whether it be a scientific law or a parliamentary law, or whatever) shows evidence of the religion you follow. But then again, this isn't something I've completely experienced and is a view formed by those I look up to.
(edited 8 years ago)
Well mixed-religion marriages are frowned upon in Sikhism. Remember that gurdwaras incident awhile back? (The christian man and the Sikh girl).

They may be frowned upon by some Sikhs, but it isn't frowned upon in Sikhism, as there is no scripture evidence to support that claim.

And nope I don't remember that incident. Personally I feel that people can make things work by putting in the effort and tolerating the spouse's religion.

For example, I'd be open to celebrating Eid, visiting the Mosque, eating the Pakistani food etc.
It's a rule, but not necessarily followed by all. I know a Muslim that got married to a Hindu. Look at Shahrukh Khan.

Yeah. Majority of muslims don't follow majority of the rules. They pick and choose. But it's not considered valid by any muslim. Muslims do it because they abandon their religion.
and why not?

I should have asked why/why not, in my OP...

I'd be disowned. Wouldn't be interested anyway, not a huge fan of Islam's core principles.
Original post by preetg97
I'd be disowned. Wouldn't be interested anyway, not a huge fan of Islam's core principles.

1. Disowned? That's sad to hear.

2. Not interested. It's never a good idea to say that just in case you meet someone.

3. Not a huge fan? If you look at the reality the core principles are the same.
They may be frowned upon by some Sikhs, but it isn't frowned upon in Sikhism, as there is no scripture evidence to support that claim.

And nope I don't remember that incident. Personally I feel that people can make things work by putting in the effort and tolerating the spouse's religion.

For example, I'd be open to celebrating Eid, visiting the Mosque, eating the Pakistani food etc.

Well it's frowned upon if you want the Anand Karaj ceremony. Idk about the scriptures, nor do you most likely as I doubt you've studied the Guru Granth Sahib Ji in depth. So you can't really claim it's not frowned upon in Sikhism.

I would show you a clip but I cba to find it.

Good for you, if that is what you want to do! It's not about "tolerating" it's about acceptance. You have to accept another persons beliefs, possibly even disregard your own in the process which is why I could never marry a Theist/ Diest, my beliefs hugely contrast with theirs.

Interfaith is worse because you both believe in God, but can they both be right? (which is mostly why I'm an atheist...)

But if your willing to make it work, I'm sure you can, you just can't expect both families to be okay with it because they won't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending