The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by The Wavefunction
Poor taste from Samuels, but he's always been one to wind up the opposition. I don't think many players outside of the Caribbean like him. I was expecting him to salute Stokes at one point.

Stokes seems to save his implosions for the Windies. Remember when he punched that locker, breaking his wrist and ruling himself out of the Test tour? And then the salute scenario?

I hope we get a limited over series against them soon, purely to see Stokes vs Samuels. This may have been the last time we get to witness that duel.
Samuels' jabs at Shane Warne were well worth it but tbh, there seems to have been an us against the world mentality which we see in football and it worked for them. They used any slight as motivation using the 'Champion' thing as an exterior facade to hide their deep seated desire to win this tournament with all the issues they've had. I'm willing to give them a break with their celebrations at the end in light of this, although some of the stuff probably strayed close to bad sportsmanship.
Two T20 WC finals for Samuels, two match winning innings. The guy has a lot of talent, but has underperformed massively in the longer format of the game, and is still really unreliable. On the field he isn't the most enthusiastic either, but he seems to be the guy for the big moments.

He should retire from tests (along with Ramdin) and just carry on in limited overs cricket. That will benefit WI cricket massively, in my opinion.
Reply 983
Original post by Aky786UK
Samuels' jabs at Shane Warne were well worth it but tbh, there seems to have been an us against the world mentality which we see in football and it worked for them. They used any slight as motivation using the 'Champion' thing as an exterior facade to hide their deep seated desire to win this tournament with all the issues they've had. I'm willing to give them a break with their celebrations at the end in light of this, although some of the stuff probably strayed close to bad sportsmanship.

Sammy said how the comments from the likes of Warne and Nicholas have helped create a siege mentality.

"It's us against the world," he said pre-match. In many ways, he's right. But only the cricketing world. I don't think the elite, or old school cricket figures, respect them. But us fans adore them. They are born entertainers and the world of cricket would be nothing without their dancing, slogging etc.

As if the only team to beat the World T20 champions in this tournament was Afghanistan. What a turn up.
Original post by Mackay
Stokes seems to save his implosions for the Windies. Remember when he punched that locker, breaking his wrist and ruling himself out of the Test tour? And then the salute scenario?

I hope we get a limited over series against them soon, purely to see Stokes vs Samuels. This may have been the last time we get to witness that duel.

I really just think that the Windies know how to get under opposition teams skin, Root didn't seem pleased with them when he got out. Samuels seems to play his best cricket when he's picking a fight, which is sad in a way as he seems like such a talented batsman. Only 7 test centuries is a poor return for someone with his abilities.
Reply 985
I really just think that the Windies know how to get under opposition teams skin, Root didn't seem pleased with them when he got out. Samuels seems to play his best cricket when he's picking a fight, which is sad in a way as he seems like such a talented batsman. Only 7 test centuries is a poor return for someone with his abilities.

Root was fuming at his dismissal, wasn't he? He aimed a few choice words at the Windies, but I think he was more upset with that absolute brain fart of a shot he played to get dismissed! He was well set until that.
Reply 986
Windies players to be invited to the WICB negotiating table.

WICB president Dave Cameron announced that he would meet the players after the IPL at the annual review in June to find a "common ground" where the "best" players can represent the region in all formats.
Reply 987
Original post by Mackay
Root was fuming at his dismissal, wasn't he? He aimed a few choice words at the Windies, but I think he was more upset with that absolute brain fart of a shot he played to get dismissed! He was well set until that.

Root is no Saint himself anymore. He's joined Smith and Kohli in having a few words at the opposition in a few games lately. Looks like it's only Williamson who's still above that.
Reply 988
So, here are my end-of-tournament awards. What are yours?

Best match: England vs West Indies
It has to be, doesn't it? What a match. I'd also place India's victory over Bangladesh, and England's victory over SA, as honourable mentions.

Best player: Virat Kohli, India
Again, it's the only logical decision. Joe Root is probably a second, but Kohli out-scored the rest of the Indian order - by himself. The man was a colossus, delivering match-winning innings and keeping calm when all about him were losing their heads. A shame his tournament had to end with a relatively pedestrian, slow knock against the Windies - but we saw in the final how WI bowlers can strangle and suffocate an innings.

Best innings: Kohli's 82 vs Australia
You can probably make a case for Simmons' knock to beat India, but Kohli's innings got them over the line in fine style against Australia and was probably the definitive knock of the tournament. An excellent innings from the best chaser in the world. He played proper cricketing shots, too. Calm cover drives, lovely cuts through the off-side. He treats the best bowlers in the world with utter disdain - and fair play to him for that. No fear, no self-doubt. Just an assured, accomplished presence.

Best moment: Afghanistan beating WI
As if the only team to beat the World Twenty20 champions was Afghanistan. A right finger up at the ICC. I loved watching Rashid Khan play, and the cheeriness Afghanistan breathed through the competition. I love them. They won the hearts of thousands of neutrals!

Biggest disappointment: Where to begin?
Well, you could argue SA's inability to prove themselves on the grandest stage once again was a disappointment. Other areas for disappointment were NZ's semi-final defeat after such a solid start (not that I was complaining, as an England fan) because I love that group of players and they go about their business the right way. The Pakistan fiasco was an utter debacle - but there are some positives for them to take (namely Amir's form) and India not making the final was a shame for the entire host nation. But the side-lining of the associates, and the disrespect they are shown by the ICC, needs to change. The first week of the tournament (the initial group phase) was an utter farce. Things need to change.
Best match: England v South Africa.

Best player: Joe Root.

Best Innings: Marlon Samuels v England. You won't see a bitter T20 innings than that.

Best moment: Braitwaite's 6's. Hurts to say it but that was fantastic, and got everyone talking about cricket.

Biggest disappointment: See above answer.
Reply 990
Best match: England v South Africa.

Best player: Joe Root.

Best Innings: Marlon Samuels v England. You won't see a bitter T20 innings than that.

Best moment: Braitwaite's 6's. Hurts to say it but that was fantastic, and got everyone talking about cricket.

Biggest disappointment: See above answer.

Great calls. Root and Kohli are the only two players, in my honest opinion, who can battle for player of the tournament. I'd also throw Simmons' knock against India in with the best innings. To be on a plane 48 hours earlier, and to just unleash that, was ridiculous.
Reply 991
Original post by Mackay
Windies players to be invited to the WICB negotiating table.

WICB president Dave Cameron announced that he would meet the players after the IPL at the annual review in June to find a "common ground" where the "best" players can represent the region in all formats.

Dave Cameron is a stubborn so and so I'll take that with pinch of salt until any change actually happens.

With Regards to another comment on Samuels and Ramdin retiring I'd like to see both retire in Tests and probs Ramdin in all formats or at least I wouldn't pick him. Fletcher or Dowrich is a better call for keeper in Test Cricket imo. Also Samuels form in Tests has been so poor he won't be missed. Leon Johnson should hopefully replace him

I think Samuels was within his rights to respond to Warne like that if he genuinely was giving 100% it must hurt for people to suggest your not but I have to say in recent times mostly Tests v Australia his attitude is so poor.
Reply 992
Worth remembering that, while Sammy faced only 13 deliveries and bowled three overs for 31 runs (and a wicket) in the World Twenty20, his captaincy isn't based on stats.

He seems to be the man the Windies rally around. He has given hope to the group of islands, and has proven a shrewd leader capable of uniting difficult and mercurial characters towards one end goal.
Original post by JoJo9
With Regards to another comment on Samuels and Ramdin retiring I'd like to see both retire in Tests and probs Ramdin in all formats or at least I wouldn't pick him. Fletcher or Dowrich is a better call for keeper in Test Cricket imo. Also Samuels form in Tests has been so poor he won't be missed. Leon Johnson should hopefully replace him

I think Samuels was within his rights to respond to Warne like that if he genuinely was giving 100% it must hurt for people to suggest your not but I have to say in recent times mostly Tests v Australia his attitude is so poor.

Completely agree about Ramdin and Samuels. Ramdin has been poor for some time now, no idea how he still gets in the team. The worst thing about Samuels must be that he is really talented, but just comes across as if he doesn't care (in tests) and that isn't an example that you want to set as a senior player.
Reply 994
The Windies clearly didn't want to be there in Australia. It was one of the weakest Test lineups I've seen, and the lethargic nature of the fielding (constant drops, poor determination to stop boundaries, overthrows/underthrows) just undermined the whole duel between the two sides.
Heath Streak, the Bangladesh bowling coach, has said that he is confident of Taskin Ahmed being prepared for a re-assessment of his bowling action by mid-May. Taskin and Arafat Sunny started work on their respective actions on Monday, for the first time since the two were suspended by the ICC from bowling in international cricket.

Streak explained that Taskin has to straighten his arm quicker in his delivery stride. He said that during his first independent assessment in Chennai, Taskin's slower bouncers turned out to be illegal, which got him banned. As a result, Streak felt that there aren't many areas to work on for the fast bowler.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/story/992419.html

Good to hear that it should be remedied pretty quickly. Shouldn't massively impact his effectiveness either.
Reply 996
Original post by Zerforax
Heath Streak, the Bangladesh bowling coach, has said that he is confident of Taskin Ahmed being prepared for a re-assessment of his bowling action by mid-May. Taskin and Arafat Sunny started work on their respective actions on Monday, for the first time since the two were suspended by the ICC from bowling in international cricket.

Streak explained that Taskin has to straighten his arm quicker in his delivery stride. He said that during his first independent assessment in Chennai, Taskin's slower bouncers turned out to be illegal, which got him banned. As a result, Streak felt that there aren't many areas to work on for the fast bowler.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/story/992419.html

Good to hear that it should be remedied pretty quickly. Shouldn't massively impact his effectiveness either.

He'll be fine.

It says a lot that Phangiso managed to re-model his action within just ten days after being reported for an illegal one. The whole system is a joke, really. Phangiso had been bowling the same way for a decade, and then on the eve of the World Twenty20, had to remodel his action.

He worked hard with SA's Performance Manager Vincent Barnes and spin coach Claude Henderson, and they got it fixed.
Original post by Mackay
He'll be fine.

It says a lot that Phangiso managed to re-model his action within just ten days after being reported for an illegal one. The whole system is a joke, really. Phangiso had been bowling the same way for a decade, and then on the eve of the World Twenty20, had to remodel his action.

He worked hard with SA's Performance Manager Vincent Barnes and spin coach Claude Henderson, and they got it fixed.

You know an Indian player never would've been reported on the eve of the tournament.

The ****s :colondollar:
Reply 998
I hope this month - the Under-19s victory, and the male and female outfits emerging from India victorious - acts as a watershed moment for the Windies.

For a long time now, I've been concerned they will somehow become the new Zimbabwe or something.

But can that translate into Test success? It's easy to see the dancing, the explosiveness of Brathwaite at the death, the quality of Gayle etc. That won't endear fans to the longer format, though. It will just make T20 more popular.

The U-19 team suggests there is plenty of talent coming through, but there needs to be a Test future for the Windies.
Reply 999
Original post by Mackay
I hope this month - the Under-19s victory, and the male and female outfits emerging from India victorious - acts as a watershed moment for the Windies.

For a long time now, I've been concerned they will somehow become the new Zimbabwe or something.

But can that translate into Test success? It's easy to see the dancing, the explosiveness of Brathwaite at the death, the quality of Gayle etc. That won't endear fans to the longer format, though. It will just make T20 more popular.

The U-19 team suggests there is plenty of talent coming through, but there needs to be a Test future for the Windies.

Although I am pessimistic about Windies Cricket Carlos Brathwaite excites me as a potential all formats cricketer. After kind of being thrown in at the deep end Brathwaite performed decently. Both Brathwaite's and Bravo were the only players to leave the Australian tour in credit.

Carlos Brathwaite averages 27 in FC cricket with the bat and 23 with the ball. Shows he's decent bowler in longer format and average of 27 does not reflect his batting ability. Awful pitches in the Windies makes batting extremely difficult. Compare his average to Chandrika (Windies opener) first class record and Brathwaite averages about 2 runs more than him.

I think if Taylor can refind his form vs England and then Aussies when they toured the Windies, we fast-track Joseph or Roach becomes himself pre-injury (looking unlikely) and then we have Holder and Carlos that looks a half-decent seam attack when Taylor is on song.

Of course for Carlos to play Tests the relationship between Windies players who play T20 and WICB needs to improve but he seemed to be positive v Aussies without looking to hit every ball for 6 which is promising

Quick Reply

Latest