The Student Room Group

GCSE EdExcel Religious Studies help forum! :)

Scroll to see replies

okay this is crazy, im doing the exact everything, i wonder if we go to the same school??
Original post by Blancosdos
How do i answer edexcel questions?My teacher over explains it(he's crap at teaching) whereas other teachers say its really simple and easy .For e.g 8 markers 4 devoloped points.Does all answers have to be Christianity related or can SOME be life releated for e.g" Divorce is bad because it may lead to the children thinking marrrige does not matter"

sounds like my teacher YAY SILVER
What do you mean some life ones?Thanks btw

Like unrelated to religion and could be generally used as a reason, like the example you fave in your first response :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
Original post by Vanilla Cupcake
2 marks - explain the key term
4 marks - two developed reasons, can be for, against or both
8 marks - four developed points. if the question says something like "explain Christian views on divorce" then all points need to be related to Christianity, otherwise you can have some life ones like if it was "explain why some people agree with divorce and some do not"
6 marks - three points for, three against. at least one point overall has to be based on the religion in question

. Qur'an teaches that God wants people to act in justice and fairness to each other
. everyone is equal under Islamic law
. justice is the basis of Zakah (a pillar of Islam)
. Shari'ah law requires justice for everyone
. prophet Muhammad acted with justice
this is all from the textbook so hope it helps :smile:

I'm doing Unit 2 and Unit 8, aiming for A* (even with the ridiculous grade boundaries!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you and good luck to you! I'm also aiming for an A* and hope I can get it :tongue:
Reply 24
Original post by sfaraj
okay this is crazy, im doing the exact everything, i wonder if we go to the same school??

haha loads of schools do the same units :smile: most people across the country are doing unit 1 and 8 Islam and Christianity :smile:
Reply 25
Ok. I have not learned ANYTHING in RE for he past two years and so far I have been getting 100% on all my tests WITHOUT ANY revison - then again the teacher who marks them is the same teacher who cant teach the subject and gets no respect from students and staff. Anyway - have I been disillusioned into thinking it is a realllllllyyyy easy subject because so far it seems like half of it is just "catchism says" "gospels say" "creed says".
Im doing unit 10 and 3 btw and i start revison tommorow. Ill be highlighting those condensed revision booklets and just memoriseing keywords.
Tips and help would be great though
Reply 26
How do i answer edexcel questions?My teacher over explains it(he's crap at teaching) whereas other teachers say its really simple and easy .For e.g 8 markers 4 devoloped points.Does all answers have to be Christianity related or can SOME be life releated for e.g" Divorce is bad because it may lead to the children thinking marrrige does not matter"

If the question is asking you about Christianity then try and keep all your points religion based e.g. these could be your main points for you to develop...

1) Divorce is not agreed with in Christianity because when you marry you marry in a holy sacrament of God, and the couple join as 'one flesh' in God's eyes...
(DEVELOPMENT: then explain about how as they couple are now one flesh they can't be separated in the eyes of God)

2) Because the couple are 'one flesh', if they remarry or have sex with someone else after legal divorce it is seen as bigamy and adultery...
(DEVELOPMENT: these are great sins in Christianity)

3) Furthermore, marriage is the best and the only place a couple should raise children
(DEVELOPMENT: so if they divorce, the child won't be being raised in a loving Christian marriage which may affect the child's relationship with its parents and God)

4) Jesus said that divorce was wrong...
(DEVELOPMENT: Xns would listen to this because Jesus is God reincarnated into man, he is a perfect role model so we must emulate his example)

Hope this helped :biggrin:
Reply 27
Original post by za07
Ok. I have not learned ANYTHING in RE for he past two years and so far I have been getting 100% on all my tests WITHOUT ANY revison - then again the teacher who marks them is the same teacher who cant teach the subject and gets no respect from students and staff. Anyway - have I been disillusioned into thinking it is a realllllllyyyy easy subject because so far it seems like half of it is just "catchism says" "gospels say" "creed says".
Im doing unit 10 and 3 btw and i start revison tommorow. Ill be highlighting those condensed revision booklets and just memoriseing keywords.
Tips and help would be great though

Lucky you :biggrin: you seem to be fine so my only tip would just be timed exam practice! Just work on your exam skills if you've nailed the content :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by Mez.
Lucky you :biggrin: you seem to be fine so my only tip would just be timed exam practice! Just work on your exam skills if you've nailed the content :smile:

Trust me when i say i havent nailed the content. I normally just use generic refrences to the bible and make up sensible and relevant points in the exam but it seems to have worked for me at school. I dont think that i'd get the marks in a real RE exam by doing this but I'm not sure. Can I just get away with refrencng to the creeds and some gospels and parables for an A star or is there more to it?
Reply 29
oh yeah and are the hodder education revision guides enough to get mme an A star? Do they cover everything?
Reply 30
Original post by za07
Trust me when i say i havent nailed the content. I normally just use generic refrences to the bible and make up sensible and relevant points in the exam but it seems to have worked for me at school. I dont think that i'd get the marks in a real RE exam by doing this but I'm not sure. Can I just get away with refrencng to the creeds and some gospels and parables for an A star or is there more to it?

There's quite a lot more to it lol- you've got your whole other religion to revise other than Christianity :redface:
There's quite a lot of people who come in handy during many answers e.g. St Paul, Jesus, Catholic Pope's etc and then things out the bible like quites, parables, teachings and all that (Qur'an, Muhammad, Shari'ah Law, Hadiths for Islam)
Just start having a go at some revision and see where you get :smile:
Hieeeee! Has anyone started memorising info yet for RE? I'm bricking it for all my exams, even though I get an A* in RE without revising. I've made loads of flashcards for every unit but I don't know if I'm behind or not...
Reply 32
Original post by romansholiday
Hieeeee! Has anyone started memorising info yet for RE? I'm bricking it for all my exams, even though I get an A* in RE without revising. I've made loads of flashcards for every unit but I don't know if I'm behind or not...

I'm doing RE revision right now :frown: I do well in in (A*s) but i find it hard to memorise everything :redface:

Only you can know if you're truly prepared or not :smile:
Original post by Mez.
Hello all :smile:

I was just revising for the GCSE RS exams on the 16th and 18th May 2016 and came up with an idea... a help forum :biggrin:

With such a weighty subject like RE, it's easy to forget little things here and there, it's a very information dense GCSE and if you forget 1 topic and mess up an exam question it can really affect your grade massively due to the ridiculous tight grade boundaries !! :frown:

So if you do this GCSE you could post a topic that you may need help with or reminding of and someone else could reply reminding you of the attitudes and enough info to help you answer an 8 mark question. E.g. I could ask for help with Christian attitudes to euthanasia and someone would help me and I could help others with topics e.c.t.

I don't know how popular this'll be but it's worth a shot right?:elefant:

So the exams are split into 2 papers, 1hr 30 mins each, each exam has 4/8 topics we have studied and each topic has all its sub-topics:

PAPER 1: Religion and Life (unit 1)
-Believing in God
-Matters of life and death
-Marriage and the family
-Religion and community cohesion

PAPER 2: Religion and society (Unit 8)
-Rights and Responsibilities
-Environmental and Medical issues
-Peace and Conflict
-Crime and Punishment

I think it'd work best if you be specific: if you say "I need help with the peace and conflict unit", someone would be here all day telling you about it because it's split into sub-topics ,so, state what specific sub-topic you'd like help with. For example, "I would like help with peace and conflict, specifically Muslim attitudes to war".

Get chatting all! Hope this works and helps anyone :biggrin:

Hey, I am also doing the same exams.
Just wanted to ask how are you revising for them and how much time do you spend on each unit??
I love RE :biggrin:

There's barely any content imo, so they end up recycling questions CONSTANTLY. I always feel like I've sat the paper before when're we do one because the questions are that similar.

What I'm doing is using the specification (they have the key worlds glossary) as I never bought a revision guide for it. They also have a list of all the topics they could ask you on (they're aren't many) so you know what to revise and nothing else.

Although what's happening with us is they're running out of time :frown:
So that means we won't even get taught the peace and conflict unit as they're more focused on us having a full knowledge on rights and responsibilities so they're just leaving it completely, annoying especially because I'll then have no notes whatsoever.
Reply 35
Original post by the-future-medic
Hey, I am also doing the same exams.
Just wanted to ask how are you revising for them and how much time do you spend on each unit??

Okay so for me, I have started my proper revision now, so far i've only completed 2 units but I have been writing up notes and then practicing exam questions without notes in timed conditions.

However, once I've revised the stuff, the best way of getting it to stick in my head is teaching someone else- this works for me because I can talk it aloud and then i can soon figure out where the gaps are in my knowledge. If you have no one to teach, teach your pet or a teddy bear (sounds stupid but it really works! lol):biggrin::rofl3:

I plan to write notes for the rest of the 6 units, writing notes takes me a few hours for each unit :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by NiamhM1801

There's barely any content imo, so they end up recycling questions CONSTANTLY. I always feel like I've sat the paper before when're we do one because the questions are that similar.

What I'm doing is using the specification (they have the key worlds glossary) as I never bought a revision guide for it. They also have a list of all the topics they could ask you on (they're aren't many) so you know what to revise and nothing else.

So that means we won't even get taught the peace and conflict unit as they're more focused on us having a full knowledge on rights and responsibilities so they're just leaving it completely, annoying especially because I'll then have no notes whatsoever.

That's a good idea, i might do that too :biggrin:

And that sucks! We have finished the full course content but for my class, the teacher really rushed the environmental and medical issues unit :frown:

The only thing I can suggest is that you do flipped learning- so you start learning some of the peace and conflict unit before your lessons on them so the lessons are just confirming your knowledge on them :biggrin:
Original post by Mez.
That's a good idea, i might do that too :biggrin:

And that sucks! We have finished the full course content but for my class, the teacher really rushed the environmental and medical issues unit :frown:

The only thing I can suggest is that you do flipped learning- so you start learning some of the peace and conflict unit before your lessons on them so the lessons are just confirming your knowledge on them :biggrin:

I've thought about that but it'll be quite hard without a revision guide! I'll have to use resources off of get revising or something haha

I also forgot to mention that we've had 2 student teachers this year already - and they've also rushed the ones they taught (the one we have now is awful, I can barely understand some of her power points if I'm honest)
Original post by Mez.
Okay so for me, I have started my proper revision now, so far i've only completed 2 units but I have been writing up notes and then practicing exam questions without notes in timed conditions.

However, once I've revised the stuff, the best way of getting it to stick in my head is teaching someone else- this works for me because I can talk it aloud and then i can soon figure out where the gaps are in my knowledge. If you have no one to teach, teach your pet or a teddy bear (sounds stupid but it really works! lol):biggrin::rofl3:

I plan to write notes for the rest of the 6 units, writing notes takes me a few hours for each unit :smile:

Original post by Mez.

Original post by NiamhM1801

Thank you both so much and yes I understand what you mean and its just annoying when you can't get all the content done in time.
Original post by Mez.
I'm doing RE revision right now :frown: I do well in in (A*s) but i find it hard to memorise everything :redface:

Only you can know if you're truly prepared or not :smile:

I've just been memorising stuff now.

I think I may be memorising some unnecessary things, but I can't memorise any of this stuff! It's just so long winded. I'm really starting to panic now, I feel like I wasted my time making all these flashcards.

With only 40 days until the exam I feel like I'm not gonna fit everything in:s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending