The Student Room Group

Telling work or university about depression/anxiety- consequences

Hi so wrongly advised my sister to tell her university about anxiety while on pgce, because she was really panicking in her final teaching exam, she was taken of the course in last few weeks and it's all my fault!

My university was understanding as I was depressed in my second year and when advised by people on student rooom I told my tutor and was allowed to delay exams.

Wish I had never advised my sister ,I will forever blame myself for her failiure on such a hard course which she got through most of!
Reply 1
Original post by Justfedup
Hi so wrongly advised my sister to tell her university about anxiety while on pgce, because she was really panicking in her final teaching exam, she was taken of the course in last few weeks and it's all my fault!

My university was understanding as I was depressed in my second year and when advised by people on student rooom I told my tutor and was allowed to delay exams.

Wish I had never advised my sister ,I will forever blame myself for her failiure on such a hard course which she got through most of!

Hey,

It's not your fault, I promise. It was her uni's decision to take her off her course, and there could have been other factors for them doing this.
Reply 2
[QUOTE="Airmed;63511653"]Hey,

It's not your fault, I promise. It was her uni's decision to take her off her course, and there could have been other factors for them doing this.[/QUOTE

Thanks, but i still feel horrible about it :frown:
Reply 3

Thanks, but i still feel horrible about it :frown:

Your sister can probably appeal the decision. Unless the anxiety was crippling bad there must have been other reasons why they removed her.
You cant blame yourself your intentions were good.

You dont really say whats happened. She should definitley get some advice though on how to protect her interests. Get a student rep or someone she knows who has common sense (maybe a family friend) to go over the events inlcuding what they have said. If she cnat appeal, then she still need to know if theres a way forward such as a resit. She will feel a bit better about things if she starts to deal with them.
Reply 5
Original post by Airmed
Your sister can probably appeal the decision. Unless the anxiety was crippling bad there must have been other reasons why they removed her.

Btw this was nearly 3 years ago, she trued appealing, i feel like no one was there to help, she was super confident before but they were quite ruthless and careless about all the efoort the made, as teaching wax mg future career snd i wax sisters no 1 supoorter i wax very affected by what happened hence lost confidence to go into teaching myself. I feel sad how she got hwr degred go ho knto teaching and in the end they did nit care about her to let her finish thr last four weeks.
You could have mentioned it at the beginning. has your sister mobed on or is she still affected? She could still do it again somewhere else?
Reply 7
my uni kicked me off when I told them about my anxiety/depression :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
You could have mentioned it at the beginning. has your sister mobed on or is she still affected? She could still do it again somewhere else?

Teaching is difficult to get into the second time, the course is tough enough in first place and she got through most of it and is very capable, they just didnt want to help her at all.
Teaching is difficult to get into the second time, the course is tough enough in first place and she got through most of it and is very capable, they just didnt want to help her at all.

Many people fail but they just go and do it again. Look at the medicine thread.
Hope she finds soemthing she likes.
Reply 10
Original post by 999tigger
Many people fail but they just go and do it again. Look at the medicine thread.
Hope she finds soemthing she likes.

She doesnt suffer from ongoing anxiety or anything, it was just that particular time of teaching assessments and a horrible class that she really struggled, she said it wasnt worth doing again since she got in free and its a £9000 a year course, she has another job now but i really feel like we should have raised this matter further to get her second chance, she passed everything apart from final placement which seems so unfair.
Reply 11
I guess I have more of an issue accepting it than her, I was the who who had the anxiety issues at the time and I still do, really stuck at this time of my life.
Its done. If she really wnated it then she could find a way to do it. perhaps she realised if it was like that on the course, then real life teaching wasnt for her, Instead of feeling guilt, just talk to your sister its three years now. She may go off to have a great life and do things even better. You dont know so stop worrying.

Quick Reply

Latest