The Student Room Group

No experience at all, at the end of my second year at uni

I've been rejected from all spring weeks and internships that i've applied to, and also university committee positions. I only have my degree

am i done?

Scroll to see replies

no you're not, what course you doing
Original post by sfaraj
no you're not, what course you doing

i do maths at bristol
Original post by WannabeBeAST
i do maths at bristol

ask thomas jordan for a shadowin opportunity init
i do maths at bristol

oh, idk where you can get experience from the best i can do for you is:
1) Bank
2) School
3) Tutor people maths
Original post by sfaraj
oh, idk where you can get experience from the best i can do for you is:
1) Bank
2) School
3) Tutor people maths

I've applied to assist at the local schools and be an online tutor with an agency but they did not accept me either.
Reply 6
I've applied to assist at the local schools and be an online tutor with an agency but they did not accept me either.

That's really weird for tutoring they accept anyone. Also it's pretty easy to get school experience just go back to your old school and ask. And there's also something call school experience programme you can apply to get school experience. Also try contacting local accountancy firms asking if they could give you a little bit of work experience.
Original post by sabana
That's really weird for tutoring they accept anyone. Also it's pretty easy to get school experience just go back to your old school and ask. And there's also something call school experience programme you can apply to get school experience. Also try contacting local accountancy firms asking if they could give you a little bit of work experience.

This was 6 months ago and they put me on a waiting list for a position to be open for someone of my experience... I guess that means i got rejected. I'm still applying to more firms just in case i can get anything..
Reply 8
This was 6 months ago and they put me on a waiting list for a position to be open for someone of my experience... I guess that means i got rejected. I'm still applying to more firms just in case i can get anything..

Yeah keep trying you'll definitely get some tutoring work. It tends to be busy at this time currently I'm making about £90 a week tutoring maths on top of my full time job.
Original post by sabana
Yeah keep trying you'll definitely get some tutoring work. It tends to be busy at this time currently I'm making about £90 a week tutoring maths on top of my full time job.

I really hope you're right, i can't deal with this anymore. If I don't get anything this summer I don't think I'll get anything or any chance at a position in a bank
Reply 10
I really hope you're right, i can't deal with this anymore. If I don't get anything this summer I don't think I'll get anything or any chance at a position in a bank

Don't worry, stay optimistic. I got accepted onto a maths PGCE without any school experience so there's always hope. The country is desperate for maths teachers, I've heard some people only have one or two days school experience when they apply. Try applying for internships at firms which are less competitive like smaller firms which are still linked to the industry's you want to go for.
Look at EF- they're a company that sends English speakers abroad to be course-leaders and teach English whilst touring countries. Obvs not maths related but my bro did economics and did that as a last resort and its admired by employers. You pick up some languages, travel, gain skills etc, so look it up!
Try tutor hunt. Become your own tutor kinda like private self employed

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've been rejected from all spring weeks and internships that i've applied to, and also university committee positions. I only have my degree

am i done?

Cold call and network.. If you're in a spot where normal routes (online) to a job aren't working, smash down the phones and rustle up the emails! The UK has got so many smaller boutique banks, accounting firms, consulting firms that you could reach out to for work experience.. Get on Linkedin and start speaking to Bristol grads (preferably ones with the same degree as you) in the positions you want to be in.

Also, do stuff at uni.. You sound like all you've done is study for your degree and nothing else. Do you think that'll yield good results?! Bristol has a finance society, go to them and speak with prior interns/people with grad offers (I know a couple that have landed Goldman IBD personally), ask them for advice and tips regarding the application process; specifically take your CV/CLs to them so they can review it. Get involved with volunteering, planning conferences/events, organising/leading a society anything you can reasonably get your hands on. There are 0 excuses not to get some form of uni related ECs/leadership experience on your CV. Literally, 0.

What year are you in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Cold call and network.. If you're in a spot where normal routes (online) to a job aren't working, smash down the phones and rustle up the emails! The UK has got so many smaller boutique banks, accounting firms, consulting firms that you could reach out to for work experience.. Get on Linkedin and start speaking to Bristol grads (preferably ones with the same degree as you) in the positions you want to be in.

Also, do stuff at uni.. You sound like all you've done is study for your degree and nothing else. Do you think that'll yield good results?! Bristol has a finance society, go to them and speak with prior interns/people with grad offers (I know a couple that have landed Goldman IBD personally), ask them for advice and tips regarding the application process; specifically take your CV/CLs to them so they can review it. Get involved with volunteering, planning conferences/events, organising/leading a society anything you can reasonably get your hands on. There are 0 excuses not to get some form of uni related ECs/leadership experience on your CV. Literally, 0.

What year are you in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've applied to become a society member (in particular treasurer) for 6 societies and have been rejected from those which already have new committee for next year. I also applied for a few last year and didn't get any, as well as attending networking and a few insight evenings at some local offices. There is a society that is being formed that I know of and I have asked to be on the committee for that too, I have yet to hear back. There was also a position writing articles and analysing current events for a publication by the investment banking society but I also fell short of that one too. It isn't that I'm not doing anything, but anything that I have done I have fell short. :frown:

I even got rejected from becoming an open day steward because there were too many people so they picked names of a hat :frown:
I'm in second year.
I've applied to become a society member (in particular treasurer) for 6 societies and have been rejected from those which already have new committee for next year. I also applied for a few last year and didn't get any, as well as attending networking and a few insight evenings at some local offices. There is a society that is being formed that I know of and I have asked to be on the committee for that too, I have yet to hear back. There was also a position writing articles and analysing current events for a publication by the investment banking society but I also fell short of that one too. It isn't that I'm not doing anything, but anything that I have done I have fell short. :frown:

I even got rejected from becoming an open day steward because there were too many people so they picked names of a hat :frown:
I'm in second year.
you can lie about your societies and being an open day steward and they'll never check (guarantee it) - just thought i'd mention that. same applies to volunteer work. they'll call your uni just to make sure you didn't lie about getting a 2:1.

i always find it hilarious when people try so hard to do all of this sh*t to pimp up their CVs then i come along, lie about it, and take their job. i'm collecting jobs like el chapo collected pounds of cocaine atm.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by El Chapo Jr.
you can lie about your societies and being an open day steward and they'll never check (guarantee it) - just thought i'd mention that. same applies to volunteer work. they'll call your uni just to make sure you didn't lie about getting a 2:1.

i always find it hilarious when people try so hard to do all of this sh*t to pimp up their CVs then i come along, lie about it, and take their job. i'm collecting jobs like el chapo collected pounds of cocaine atm.

One word: karma

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
One word: karma

Posted from TSR Mobile
look how far integrity has taken OP. the best advice for him is to start lying the same way 90% of his competition do.

integrity doesn't pay the bills. more importantly, it does not buy you a rolls-royce or vintage snakeskin shoes. when you know you are better than the other candidates but the other dude is getting the job because he plays guitar, it's definitely time to change your approach.

why is lying unacceptable, but it's OK to force yourself into joining societies you don't necessarily want to join just to deceive recruiters into thinking you're someone that you aren't? this is still lying, just in a really inefficient way. spend months doing things that i type up 2 seconds rofl.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by El Chapo Jr.
look how far integrity has taken OP. the best advice for him is to start lying the same way 90% of his competition do.

integrity doesn't pay the bills. more importantly, it does not buy you a rolls-royce or vintage snakeskin shoes. when you know you are better than the other candidates but the other dude is getting the job because he plays guitar, it's definitely time to change your approach.

why is lying unacceptable, but it's OK to force yourself into joining societies you don't necessarily want to join just to deceive recruiters into thinking you're someone that you aren't? this is still lying, just in a really inefficient way. spend months doing things that i type up 2 seconds rofl.

At the end of the day, it comes down writing a few more words at the bottom of your CV under your hobbies section. However, what actually going to societies and attending activities gives you are experiences, experiences that are far easier to talk about in a genuine way when asked about them in competency interviews, rather than fake experiences.
Original post by Terry Tibbs
At the end of the day, it comes down writing a few more words at the bottom of your CV under your hobbies section. However, what actually going to societies and attending activities gives you are experiences, experiences that are far easier to talk about in a genuine way when asked about them in competency interviews, rather than fake experiences.
i think you would be surprised at how easy talking about a fake scenario is when you have already spoken about it in your previous x interviews. it starts to feel like a reality after a while - i found that i sometimes had to consciously remind myself that i never did these things (no joke).

the only experiences i care about are the ones that involve talking to the nice little HR lady over the phone to discuss numbers.

what she hears: "omg thanks this is a really good opportunity and i can't wait to start"
what i hear: "congrats el chapo jr, you are rich now"
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest