The Student Room Group

Investment Banking Warwick or Durham for Economics

I have an offer from both Warwick and Durham for economics however I can't decide which one to firm. At the end of university I want to go straight to a top investment bank preferably GS/MS/JPM in the securities division. I am aware that Warwick is a target and Durham is a semi target and equally that Warwick Economics may be harder to get into etc.... I requested a finance careers brochure from Durham and Goldman were recruiting for the BACK office! I am also concerned by the high number of people form Durham which go to the big 4 - does that indicate many fail to get a job at an investment bank? Ultimately I guess my question is that would there a Durham Economics student with the same GCSEs and A levels as a student be disadvantaged when compared to a Warwick Economics student for graduate jobs in IB.

I would greatly appreciate if current analysts and those applying/applied for spring weeks and summer internships could provide their experiences.

Can somebody explain the LSE/UCL over Durham bias aswell considering some Londoners simply don't apply to LSE/UCL. Or are these people all foreign students from Asia who are offered graduate jobs?
Reply 1
Original post by bobbybob12
I have an offer from both Warwick and Durham for economics however I can't decide which one to firm. At the end of university I want to go straight to a top investment bank preferably GS/MS/JPM in the securities division. I am aware that Warwick is a target and Durham is a semi target and equally that Warwick Economics may be harder to get into etc.... I requested a finance careers brochure from Durham and Goldman were recruiting for the BACK office! I am also concerned by the high number of people form Durham which go to the big 4 - does that indicate many fail to get a job at an investment bank? Ultimately I guess my question is that would there a Durham Economics student with the same GCSEs and A levels as a student be disadvantaged when compared to a Warwick Economics student for graduate jobs in IB.

I would greatly appreciate if current analysts and those applying/applied for spring weeks and summer internships could provide their experiences.

Can somebody explain the LSE/UCL over Durham bias aswell considering some Londoners simply don't apply to LSE/UCL. Or are these people all foreign students from Asia who are offered graduate jobs?

I'm a Warwick student but would honestly say that both universities would give you a good chance into IB. That said I would say I agree that Warwick is probably targeted more, especially in WBS. Also, The Warwick Finance Society has a knack of hosting A LOT of networking events with BBs and opportunities to enhance CVs/Interview skills and get you into IB. Overall, I would say the two unis definitely give you a great chance but my bias would go to Warwick.
Inb4 the Warwick people hijack the thread and tell you Warwick is better than a PhD from MIT.

1. Warwick > Durham for being targeted by banks. As the user above me said, Warwick's finance soc had the highest no. of career events out of all the targets.

2. You won't stroll into any job, the competition both from outside and inside your uni will be immense. If your CV doesn't stack up to the next guy's kiss your chance at an interview goodbye. Likewise, if you get to interview and someone shows: a better personality fit, stronger competency ability, keener interest; goodbye to your shot at progressing through the application process. So, get rid of the arrogance and wanting to 'waltz in' to a top bank and start plotting a path to getting a gig from any respectable employer.

As for your other Q, if the Durham student is a better applicant, they'll get the SW/internship/job. Warwick being a target is only really good news for average applicants, they'd get a bit more attention than they would going to a uni that isn't targeted (for FO) by the bank they've applied to.

The bias (wrt:LSE/UCL) is due to them being more targeted, a false belief that the location will somehow advantage them and probably, the nightlife.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
Inb4 the Warwick people hijack the thread and tell you Warwick is better than a PhD from MIT.

Not an apples and oranges comparison tbh... And for Maths PhDs, there's a quite a bit of fluidity between the top faculties.

Posted from TSR Mobile
LOL to some people on this site. A nursing degree from Warwick is better than a PH.D in Astrophysics at Harvard.
Original post by Princepieman
Not an apples and oranges comparison tbh... And for Maths PhDs, there's a quite a bit of fluidity between the top faculties.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Princepieman
1. Warwick > Durham for being targeted by banks. As the user above me said, Warwick's finance soc had the highest no. of career events out of all the targets.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But isnt that to do with the sheer size of warwicks business school, maths dept etc etc? Like so many do maths, economics and A&F so isnt it inevitable that its finance society is going to be much larger than other unis?
Original post by Youngmetro
But isnt that to do with the sheer size of warwicks business school, maths dept etc etc? Like so many do maths, economics and A&F so isnt it inevitable that its finance society is going to be much larger than other unis?

Ofc, but the supply of grads comes from across the university. Not just WBS, WMI and Econ - although more students from these departments will be interested vs students from other department..

This isn't really a debate or new, Warwick has had a strong relationship with finance firms since the 80s.

Posted from TSR Mobile

LOOOL

Ahh and to think that just a year ago he was banging on about how good Nottingham is and devoted his loyalty to it. To think how quick allegiance changes.

Nah doubt it, even their flagship course, Econ, has an offer rate of nearly 60%.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending