The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I would think becayse you might keep to yourself then you are an easy target. You wont tell and they cna pick on you.
Bullies do it becayse they are inadequate themselves and it makes thm feel powerful to affect someone elses life. Study hard and you will get on, but they wont.
Original post by FireFreezer77
They take the piss out of me being quiet. They're always making fun of me (not to my face but loud enough so that I can hear them). They also ask me extremely personal questions and force me to answer them, touch me inappropriately (which also messes up my OCD, which they don't know about) and they run away from me at lunchtimes to get away from me.
But making fun of me for being quiet is what hurts the most (well that and the running away).
They say things like if I ever got a girlfriend (theyve told me I'll be single forever) that we'll have so much fun sitting in silence 24/7. It's just things like that.

Give me time to write it out!

Start off by saying what's your problem? Then when they give some stupid excuse like your quiet or something, say "no, it obviously stems from something else, get yourself sorted and stop taking it out on others."

These people were once in your position, I was like you, I used to be jealous of these people then when you get older you'll realize these people are more broken than you. The way they treat you is how other people have treated them and like I said, they never overcame the position they were in, they just desperately search for someone else like you to put in their position.

There's nothing you can do to stop them or other people, the best you can do is not give a :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:, when they start mocking you, just say, like I care and when they run away from you, be thankful.

Edit: Wtf are these dolphins in my text.
(edited 8 years ago)
They take the piss out of me being quiet. They're always making fun of me (not to my face but loud enough so that I can hear them). They also ask me extremely personal questions and force me to answer them, touch me inappropriately (which also messes up my OCD, which they don't know about) and they run away from me at lunchtimes to get away from me.
But making fun of me for being quiet is what hurts the most (well that and the running away).
They say things like if I ever got a girlfriend (theyve told me I'll be single forever) that we'll have so much fun sitting in silence 24/7. It's just things like that.

Give me time to write it out!

:hugs: I feel so bad for you that this is happening. As has been said, it won't last forever. I got bullied a lot at school too and never really made friends but I started university recently and have made a few friends and no one has picked on me or anything - it's such a change from school.

Is there anyone you can talk to about it? I bottled things up for years and considered suicide many times and it's left me with bad self-esteem and I see a psychiatrist for something which I'm sure has been made worse from the years of bullying. If you want to PM me for someone to talk to, feel free. :smile:

Another thing - I also always believed bullies that I'm never get a girlfriend: I celebrated my 3rd wedding anniversary the other week. Don't believe their crap.
when I was younger, I was really really immature and stupid but I remember when shy and timid people used to annoy me just because they didn't talk and didn't stand up for themselves ever, I didn't bully them but I wasn't nice to them because I didn't respect them, I didn't understand why they were like that.
Original post by Novascope
Because bullies target people they know who won't fight back or give a reaction. If a bully tried to go after someone who wasn't so reserved and could fight back then there wouldn't be much point. Bullies are pathetic.

This is unfortunately true and incredibly relatable as another quiet person.
Original post by Sabertooth
:hugs: I feel so bad for you that this is happening. As has been said, it won't last forever. I got bullied a lot at school too and never really made friends but I started university recently and have made a few friends and no one has picked on me or anything - it's such a change from school.

Is there anyone you can talk to about it? I bottled things up for years and considered suicide many times and it's left me with bad self-esteem and I see a psychiatrist for something which I'm sure has been made worse from the years of bullying. If you want to PM me for someone to talk to, feel free. :smile:

Another thing - I also always believed bullies that I'm never get a girlfriend: I celebrated my 3rd wedding anniversary the other week. Don't believe their crap.

I sure hope it doesn't last forever. Uni does sound better but I'm not planning on going there. But it's good that you've made friends there and things have improved for you

No really no. Everyone will over react about it all and I really don't want that.
I fear my OCD has gotten worse through all of this tbh. It sucks because I had made good progress with it.
Thanks for the offer. I'll PM you sometime, thanks :smile:

I've been rejected 4 times now and I feel like it's gonna be impossible to find a girl that likes me!
Congratulations! How does it feel?
I try not to but it's hard sometimes.
Original post by xobeauty
when I was younger, I was really really immature and stupid but I remember when shy and timid people used to annoy me just because they didn't talk and didn't stand up for themselves ever, I didn't bully them but I wasn't nice to them because I didn't respect them, I didn't understand why they were like that.

Hmm sounds strangely familiar.
I don't personally choose to be quiet. I can't help it. I find it incredibly hard to have a conversation with someone. Some people I will try my hardest to speak as much as a I can because I want to be friends with them but other people I don't bother. It's too much effort.
Why did that annoy you?
Sometimes it's not a choice. People sometimes have no confidence (like me) and struggle to say things. Some people just choose not to say anything (partly me) because there's no need to.
How would you feel in that situation?
Original post by Longshot1000
Start off by saying what's your problem? Then when they give some stupid excuse like your quiet or something, say "no, it obviously stems from something else, get yourself sorted and stop taking it out on others."

These people were once in your position, I was like you, I used to be jealous of these people then when you get older you'll realize these people are more broken than you. The way they treat you is how other people have treated them and like I said, they never overcame the position they were in, they just desperately search for someone else like you to put in their position.

There's nothing you can do to stop them or other people, the best you can do is not give a :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:, when they start mocking you, just say, like I care and when they run away from you, be thankful.

Edit: Wtf are these dolphins in my text.

They'll punch me if I say that!

I'm fairly broken at the moment so it's hard to believe that.

Tbh I am thankful that they run away. When I was "friends" with them, they were sooooo boring to be around. They just talked about girls 24/7. Then they would just complain and moan about everything else. I'm a guy but I don't feel the need to talk about girls that much, it's like they're addicted to girls and sex.

Haha that's the new swear filter thing.
Original post by Leviathan1741
It's actually one of my favourite sayings, because it's true :biggrin:

It is indeed true. I'll use that quite a bit from now I think.
Not to brag but I got the highest grade possible last year at college. Only 3 people got that.
The rest barely scraped through.
Guess what, the 3 who got the best grades, all quiet! (Well one is slightly louder).
I sure hope it doesn't last forever. Uni does sound better but I'm not planning on going there. But it's good that you've made friends there and things have improved for you

No really no. Everyone will over react about it all and I really don't want that.
I fear my OCD has gotten worse through all of this tbh. It sucks because I had made good progress with it.
Thanks for the offer. I'll PM you sometime, thanks :smile:

I've been rejected 4 times now and I feel like it's gonna be impossible to find a girl that likes me!
Congratulations! How does it feel?
I try not to but it's hard sometimes.

(If you don't mind me asking) what are you planning on doing when you leave school?

OCD is definitely something that can get worse with this kind of stress. Do you take medication or see a doctor about it?

4 times is still early days, man. I know it sucks but you sound like a nice guy, there will be someone don't let the bullies ruin that for you - keep trying with girls. I didn't have a girlfriend until I was 19, it made me feel like a weirdo at school, which was silly now I look back on things.

And thanks - it feels fantastic. I have every faith in you managing the same.
This thread makes me really sad :frown:

I was bullied in year 7 but I was really loud and cocky back then, and a bit of a teachers pet. I was really quiet throughout sixth form and I'm still sort of quiet now, but I'm certainly not shy and I love meeting new people. People always were intrigued by my quietness and I get described as mysterious quite a lot. So I was fortunate I guess.
Quiet people often get viewed as being weird. This isn't just in school, it can happen in jobs too. It's generally viewed as a negative trait. And, as already said, bullies are cowards and only go after the easy ones.

I was at a wedding recently and the guy I was sitting next to turned to me and was like "you don't say much, why are you so quiet?". I wanted to be like "dude, stfu you speak too much". For some reason it's ok to comment on someone being introverted or quiet but no one sees the opposite as commentable.

Not entirely true; be too loud, chatty and obnoxious and see how many people hate you for talking too much.
They'll punch me if I say that!

I'm fairly broken at the moment so it's hard to believe that.

Tbh I am thankful that they run away. When I was "friends" with them, they were sooooo boring to be around. They just talked about girls 24/7. Then they would just complain and moan about everything else. I'm a guy but I don't feel the need to talk about girls that much, it's like they're addicted to girls and sex.

Haha that's the new swear filter thing.

Yeah, I was in the same position. Friends with people who were all about drugs and sex, then when I left they picked on me.

Just say, like I care, or just laugh at them.

The less you care, the happier you'll be. When they mock you, just think to yourself "who the hell cares." Or "It doesn't matter what they think".
(If you don't mind me asking) what are you planning on doing when you leave school?

OCD is definitely something that can get worse with this kind of stress. Do you take medication or see a doctor about it?

4 times is still early days, man. I know it sucks but you sound like a nice guy, there will be someone don't let the bullies ruin that for you - keep trying with girls. I didn't have a girlfriend until I was 19, it made me feel like a weirdo at school, which was silly now I look back on things.

And thanks - it feels fantastic. I have every faith in you managing the same.

I'm at college currently and am hoping to get an apprenticeship afterwards. I'm pretty close to getting one. Just need the confirmation now.

Stress is what caused it in the first place. I am on medication and have just finished therapy for it, although I can have more if I need it. I've got to work on it a bit myself now.

It hurts though. Thanks.
I'm 18 and a half now and I do feel a bit weird seeing as the others always brag about their girls and the sex they have. I just want a strong relationship with the girl of my dreams and then get married to her one day. I want the times I spend with her to be the best times of my life!

Good! Thanks, it's gonna be hard though.
I think this actually switches around as you get a bit older...the quiet guys naturally get a bit more respect. And the loud-mouth ones, particularly if they're idiots, get bullied a lot more. People can have a lot of respect for quieter folk, and when they speak, people really listen - because they're not constantly shooting their mouth off.

So, I don't think being quiet is a route to being bullied. Perhaps sometimes it is. It can also be a route to respect, if you make sure that when you say something, it's a good thing to say.

I'm consistently reminded of this quotation:

It's a good idea for everyone to become a quiet person SOMETIMES, lest you remove all doubt. :wink:
Yeah, I was in the same position. Friends with people who were all about drugs and sex, then when I left they picked on me.

Just say, like I care, or just laugh at them.

The less you care, the happier you'll be. When they mock you, just think to yourself "who the hell cares." Or "It doesn't matter what they think".

I honestly don't see why people talk about those things 24/7. It can't be that great surely!
Well that sucks. They sound like asshats anyway.

They'll still punch me.

I have felt happier when I don't have to deal with their moaning about everything. I realized that I don't need them to be happy. All I need is myself.
Also they firs ran away on a day when it was bucketing down with rain. I drove past them and honked my horn in disgust at them but I was feeling smug that i wasn't walking out in the rain. I may have gesticulated at them all too. I was happy after that.
I honestly don't see why people talk about those things 24/7. It can't be that great surely!
Well that sucks. They sound like asshats anyway.

They'll still punch me.

I have felt happier when I don't have to deal with their moaning about everything. I realized that I don't need them to be happy. All I need is myself.
Also they firs ran away on a day when it was bucketing down with rain. I drove past them and honked my horn in disgust at them but I was feeling smug that i wasn't walking out in the rain. I may have gesticulated at them all too. I was happy after that.

Wait, so you don't see them anymore?
Wait, so you don't see them anymore?

This was at lunchtime.
The bullying happens in lessons.
This was at lunchtime.
The bullying happens in lessons.

I recommend getting headphones and blocking them out if it's in lessons.

Just ignore them and forget about them, they won't punch you for blanking them.
Hmm sounds strangely familiar.
I don't personally choose to be quiet. I can't help it. I find it incredibly hard to have a conversation with someone. Some people I will try my hardest to speak as much as a I can because I want to be friends with them but other people I don't bother. It's too much effort.
Why did that annoy you?
Sometimes it's not a choice. People sometimes have no confidence (like me) and struggle to say things. Some people just choose not to say anything (partly me) because there's no need to.
How would you feel in that situation?

How does it sound familiar?

I know all this now. Till this day I get frustrated with shy esp timid people but I get it now and I'm a lot nicer. I thought they were stupid for being timid. I'd yell at them for not sticking up for themselves and to TALK my approach wasn't the best :frown:

I'm making up for it now.:wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending