The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP1 Thread - 20th May, 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LelouchViRuge
There is no normal series, if you did change it to 13 you'd be adding
Unparseable latex formula:

(13)^2 + 2^1^3

at the end, which would be incorrect.

To calculate the amount of numbers in any summation, do whatever the n value is subtract the starting value plus 1

Thanks!
This might be a stupid question, but on question 1c of exercise 4D please, https://644625398389466aee00633223056f55519d5fbc.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYQWY1UWtNa0NRNU0/CH4.pdf why isn't x to xy linear, as I thought it would be since it's only to the power 1?! Thanks :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by economicss
This might be a stupid question, but on question 1c of exercise 4D please, https://644625398389466aee00633223056f55519d5fbc.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYQWY1UWtNa0NRNU0/CH4.pdf why isn't x to xy linear, as I thought it would be since it's only to the power 1?! Thanks :smile:

A linear transformation is linear if it satisfied T(λa+μb)=λT(a)+μT(b)T(\lambda a + \mu b) = \lambda T(a) + \mu T(b) where aa and bb are column vectors.

Obviously, yx+xyy \to x + xy isn't.
Reply 44

Can't view the PDF for some reason.
Do the IAL F1 and IAL FP1 papers follow the same syllabus?
Reply 46
Original post by NotNotBatman

More or less, I didn't really see any differences. Then again, I barely read the specification.
Reply 47

Yes, minor differences such as knowing that a quadratic equation equation can be written as x2(α+β)x+αβ=0x^{2}-\left ( \alpha +\beta \right )x+\alpha \beta = 0 and matrix rotations about any angle. That's about it, I think.
Original post by Zacken
More or less, I didn't really see any differences. Then again, I barely read the specification.

Thank you.

Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Yes, minor differences such as knowing that a quadratic equation equation can be written as x2(α+β)x+αβ=0x^{2}-\left ( \alpha +\beta \right )x+\alpha \beta = 0 and matrix rotations about any angle. That's about it, I think.

Isn't the quadratic equation thing in FP1? It's the only method I've been taught although I do know how to use other methods.
Reply 49

Isn't the quadratic equation thing in FP1? It's the only method I've been taught although I do know how to use other methods.

It isn't compulsory knowledge on FP1 - questions can be done without this formula. However, many questions on IAL are based on this.
Original post by Zacken
Can't view the PDF for some reason.

Hi, sorry about the links, here's a pic of the question, I'm just not too sure by what they mean by 'the orientation is reversed' on part c? Thank you :smile:
Attachment not found
image.jpg
Hi, please could anyone explain 6c on this paper, how do we know that QP=I and in particular how do we know it's QP rather than PQ? Thanks :smile:
Attachment not found
image.jpg
Reply 52
Reply 53

1. Triangle TT is transformed to TT' by PP. Triangle TT' is transformed back to TT by P1P^{-1}. The question has simply called Q=P1Q = P^{-1}. Inverses satisfy PP1=PQ=IPP^{-1} = PQ = I.

2. Inverses are commutative so PP1=PQ=I=QP=P1PPP^{-1} = PQ = I = QP = P^{-1}P. That is, it doesn't matter which order you pick here, either will work.

Thank you, I think so, so is it saying that if one determinant is the negative of another determinant then the orientation of the second determinant is reversed compared to the original determinant? :smile:
Please could anyone explain how on this paper https://7cba9babeb0db0ff9468853e0b2d0a80708ec59c.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYZGxseFBIQkphV0k/Mock%20QP%20-%20FP1%20Edexcel.pdf question 2, you know that the focus is -3,0 rather than 3,0? Thanks
Please could anyone explain how on this paper https://7cba9babeb0db0ff9468853e0b2d0a80708ec59c.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYZGxseFBIQkphV0k/Mock%20QP%20-%20FP1%20Edexcel.pdf question 2, you know that the focus is -3,0 rather than 3,0? Thanks

Because the fixed point is (-3 , 0). The fixed line is x = 3 so is to the right of the focus and the whole curve is a mirror image of the usual one.
There is a question that says:
Given arg(λ+9i+w)=π4 arg(\lambda +9i + w) =\frac{\pi}{4}

where λ\lambda is a real constant

find the value of λ\lambda

w=105iw=10-5i from the first part.

I've written:

arg(λ+4i+10)=π4arg(\lambda + 4i +10) = \frac{\pi}{4}

arctan1=π410+λ4=1λ=6\arctan 1 = \frac{\pi}{4}\newline\newline \frac{10+\lambda}{4} =1\newline\newline \lambda = -6

Would I receive full marks for doing it like this?
Markscheme method (no ALT) https://gyazo.com/e1386625d2e22da34152ceb4df8b246a
Series.png
How do I do part ii? I did the summations for the 2n+1 I did (2n+1)(n) + 1 and added this to the summation, but I got the wrong answer.
Reply 59
Series.png
How do I do part ii? I did the summations for the 2n+1 I did (2n+1)(n) + 1 and added this to the summation, but I got the wrong answer.

It starts from r=0r=0 where as the standard sums start from r=1r=1. So you need to do:

r=0n(r22r+2n+1)=022(0)+2n+1+r=1n(r22r+2n+1)\displaystyle \sum_{r=0}^{n} \left(r^2 - 2r + 2n + 1\right) = 0^2 - 2(0) + 2n + 1 + \sum_{r=1}^{n} \left(r^2 - 2r + 2n + 1\right)

Your error was doing (2n+1)(n)+1(2n+1)(n) + 1 when you should have done (2n+1)(n+1)(2n+1)(n+1).
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending