The Student Room Group

What university should I choose

I need one of the following two schools.Please help me make the right choice by answering my questions
-McGill
- WPI
Major: Computer Engineering
I am an international student
and here are my questions:

-Which engineering program is more prestigious?
- Which school has better facilities? McGill's endowment is about 1.4 billion but WPI's 400 million. But WPI is a private so does this make a difference? How are the labs in both schools.
- How are the internship opportunities? what kind of firms recruit from both schools
- How do the starting salaries for computer engineering fare?
- If I want to do my graduate school in the US. Will it be easy for me to study in the US. And after this will I be required to go back in Canada or I can stay in the US if I find a job there?

Questions for McGill:
- Can I easily get a campus job? since I am an international student
- I heard somewhere that McGill is more theory oriented. Is this true? or do they get just as much hands on experience as any good engineering program. Do students get to apply what they learnt with real equipment?
- Do I get to make my own class schedule and decide when my classes start? Because I think I read somewhere that McGill classes start at 8:30 am

Questions about WPI:
- How are the dorms and bathrooms? I have heard horrible stories about them!

So far I am leaning more towards McGill. I've heard many good things about the school, the people, and the city.
You're going to get better answers to this on College Confidential
@aymanzayedmannan can help you with McGill
Reply 3
This is a North American problem.

FWIW, I have heard of McGill, but had to Google WPI. Which may be completely irrelevant to the kinds of employers you care about.
Go for McGill. 100%.
Reply 6
Hi, I'm going to be studying in McGill Engineering this fall so I thought I might try and help you out. :h:

McGill!

Also if these are things you care for:

McGill has a much better male-to-female ratio that WPI - 43-57 versus 70-30.

McGill is like the #1 party school in Canada - no other school compares. :party:

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Hi, I'm going to be studying in McGill Engineering this fall so I thought I might try and help you out. :h:

McGill!

Also if these are things you care for:

McGill has a much better male-to-female ratio that WPI - 43-57 versus 70-30.

McGill is like the #1 party school in Canada - no other school compares. :party:

Dsmn 43-57?! :tong: Have fun buddy!!

And WOW just googled your dorms. They look incredible!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Student403
Dsmn 43-57?! :tong: Have fun buddy!!

Engineering ratios aren't as pretty though. :tongue: it's like 34th\frac{3}{4}^{\text{th}} dudes. :cry:

And WOW just googled your dorms. They look incredible!

Yep, I still don't believe places like this are student residences. :ahee: I hope I get the rez I want though. :redface:

Spoiler

Reply 9
Engineering ratios aren't as pretty though. :tongue: it's like 34th\frac{3}{4}^{\text{th}} dudes. :cry:

Yep, I still don't believe places like this are student residences. :ahee: I hope I get the rez I want though. :redface:

Spoiler

Is that student accommodation or the university's main foyer?
Reply 10
Original post by ombtom
Is that student accommodation or the university's main foyer?

This is actually inside student accommodations (commonly referred to as "rez" there). Here's a really nice video of the place. This is just one of many buildings though. :biggrin:

Spoiler

Better than the UK ratios of like 1:10!

And damn that looks heavenly!
Please choose McGill.

Quick Reply

Latest