The Student Room Group

UCL gave me an offer of AAA even though I am predicted AAB

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Thomb
Y o u c a n d o i t !

lol :smile: awh I hope so.

Original post by Rhythmical
You never know, AAA isn't that hard from AAB. If you get your revision in tip top condition and not let stress get to yourself then it's more than possibly. AAB to AAA isn't as bad as AAC or AAD or even AAE ( sounds like a country in the United Arab Nations) and anyways be happy! What course is it for?

Hi there :smile: It's for pharmacy. Last year for AS I got AABC and I took on my ABC grades (english, biology, chemistry) so on top of A2 work I also have 3 resits (2 x chem & 1 x bio). I have a feeling I flopped the chem6 practical so I literally have to perfect the exams to get an A :[ I will try be happy. Lol. But internally very stressed! :[

Original post by doctorwhofan98
That's a normal response from the uni - offers don't have to match predicted grades (if they did everyone would ask for lower predicted grades), and, unless their typical offer is AAB, it shouldn't be surprising.

If you're hopeful that you can get AAA with a lot of work, maybe firm UCL and insure somewhere asking for AAB or ABB. If you're pretty certain that you can't get AAA, firm somewhere that asks for AAB, and insure somewhere that asks for ABB. UCL is a top university, so don't be surprised if they reject you if you don't get AAA, regardless of your predicted grades.

Other posters have suggested emailing UCL, but I honestly don't see the point - they won't change their offer, and on results day, as someone else has mentioned, you'd lose any hope of persuading them to let you in as the B was 'unexpected'.

My initial thoughts were of firming UCL (AAA) and insuring Bath (AAB) or firming Bath and insuring Aston (AAB) but will drop down to ABB if I firm/insure. It just seems like a safer bet, but I enjoyed UCL and Bath so don't see myself going to Aston. Im just afraid if for example I firm UCL, insure Bath and end up with ABB never know it could happen! :/ then I'm stuck..
Original post by aladdin818
Hi there :smile: It's for pharmacy. Last year for AS I got AABC and I took on my ABC grades (english, biology, chemistry) so on top of A2 work I also have 3 resits (2 x chem & 1 x bio). I have a feeling I flopped the chem6 practical so I literally have to perfect the exams to get an A :[ I will try be happy. Lol. But internally very stressed! :[

They aren't bad grades, AS is all about finding yourself and strengthening your weaknesses in A2 when the time comes. Pharmacy is a subject that I find respectful and UCL is a fantastic university, that's where I'd love to go too next year. It's stressful but you can do it. When's your first exam?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
My initial thoughts were of firming UCL (AAA) and insuring Bath (AAB) or firming Bath and insuring Aston (AAB) but will drop down to ABB if I firm/insure. It just seems like a safer bet, but I enjoyed UCL and Bath so don't see myself going to Aston. Im just afraid if for example I firm UCL, insure Bath and end up with ABB never know it could happen! :/ then I'm stuck..

That's how the system works. If you don't want to go to Aston, firm UCL, insure Bath. If you get ABB and neither accept (although there's a reasonable chance they might) you can go into Clearing, or take a gap and re-apply.
They aren't bad grades, AS is all about finding yourself and strengthening your weaknesses in A2 when the time comes. Pharmacy is a subject that I find respectful and UCL is a fantastic university, that's where I'd love to go too next year. It's stressful but you can't do it. When's your first exam?

Trueeee. 'Can't do it' lol :P Its on May 27th
Trueeee. 'Can't do it' lol :P Its on May 27th

I meant can do it haha! Sorry for the mistake and oh wow mine is a week before that. I'm in AS year so it's all good but one thing I've realised is that I prefer exams over coursework when it used to be vice versa.
:/ I don't think I can get AAA

What subjects are you doing?
I meant can do it haha! Sorry for the mistake and oh wow mine is a week before that. I'm in AS year so it's all good but one thing I've realised is that I prefer exams over coursework when it used to be vice versa.

I know! Don't worry :P yeah same.. I hate coursework so much
Original post by zXcodeXz
What subjects are you doing?

Chemistry, biology, english Lit
Chemistry, biology, english Lit

They are tough A Levels but you can do it otherwise why would you be predicted AAB then? It's because you can do it
I know! Don't worry :P yeah same.. I hate coursework so much

I think coursework is boring, plus it's being scrapped for GCSEs but I do agree that it should be kept with a subject but maybe separately. Thing is, coursework never shows a true ability and neither do exams,. Apart from UCL, what were your 4 other choices?
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
They make offers for A*A*A* as well.

For which courses are these?????
Reply 31
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
Yeah, all those A*A*A* Cambridge courses.

Original post by Thomb
Presumably not impossible though. Cambridge do make offers of at least A*A*A.

Warwick has a standard A*A*A* offer for maths, not sure why you think it's a big deal?
Reply 32
Put it as your firm, choose a less aspirational offer as your insurance, and then switch your focus to doing your absolute best in the upcoming exams. Every moment spent worrying about not meeting the offer is a moment you could have spent steadily taking steps towards meeting it....

Do what you can and if you don't meet the offer you don't meet the offer - at least you'd have tried.
Reply 33
Original post by FatimaHere

Science and Maths subjects can have A*A*A*A offers sometimes. Then again, star grades aren't really an issue for a Cambridge applicant.
Original post by Zacken
Warwick has a standard A*A*A* offer for maths, not sure why you think it's a big deal?

You're not sure why what is a big deal?
Reply 35
Original post by Zacken

That's only if one chooses not to sit STEP? Or would somebody who failed STEP, but got the three A*s, still be considered to have met the standard offer?
Reply 36
Original post by Balor
That's only if one chooses not to sit STEP? Or would somebody who failed STEP, but got the three A*s, still be considered to have met the standard offer?

You can meet any of their offers; so even if you fail STEP and get three A*'s you'd have met it.
Original post by FatimaHere

Law at Churchill.
Reply 38
Original post by Balor

Yes. They are "or..." offers.

Warwick Standard Offer for 2016 Admission: A-Level Students
A* (Maths A-level), A*(Further Maths A-level), A (in a third A-level), and grade 2 in STEP, or
A* (Maths A-level), A (Further Maths A-level), A (in a third A-level), and grade 1 in STEP, or
A*(Maths A-level), A*(Further Maths A-level), A* (in a third A-level), or
A*(Maths A-level), A*(Further Maths A-level), A (in a third A-level), A (in a fourth A-level)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by Zacken
You can meet any of their offers; so even if you fail STEP and get three A*'s you'd have met it.

Original post by jneill
Yes. They are "or..." offers.Warwick Standard Offer for 2016 Admission: A-Level StudentsA* (Maths A-level), A*(Further Maths A-level), A (in a third A-level), and grade 2 in STEP, orA* (Maths A-level), A (Further Maths A-level), A (in a third A-level), and grade 1 in STEP, orA*(Maths A-level), A*(Further Maths A-level), A* (in a third A-level), orA*(Maths A-level), A*(Further Maths A-level), A (in a third A-level), A (in a fourth A-level)

Interesting. I rather like that; it strikes me that it allows for people with different dominant strengths to be admitted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending