The Student Room Group

who loves maths?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Zacken
Have you seen past (from the 80's-ish) physics papers? It used to be a lot more mathematical, it's been dumbed down in an attempt to give people a basic insight into physics but to what end? I'd rather have fewer people knowing better/more physics than more people knowing the sad state that we currently have right now.

I mean, we scrapped calculus - the bloody bread and butter of physics out of our physics curriculum. :facepalm:

Some people must get quite a shock when they go off to do Physics at university.

Maybe there should be two Physics A-levels: the current one, and one with lots of maths. :biggrin:
Reply 81
Original post by ombtom
Maybe there should be two Physics A-levels: the current one, and one with lots of maths. :biggrin:

That's been proposed! There just isn't enough demand, unfortunately.
Reply 82
Original post by mk_cbc
I always see people hating on maths lmao i wanna see how many people actually like it.
personally i love it.

Agree with you 100% :biggrin: Maths is my favourite subject!
Reply 83
Original post by Parasite
Wow you picked the Mechanics unit, I wouldn't even dare AHA..... It is interesting, but damn.... I had a look at a few past questions and squirmed..... It is an absolute pain in my royal ass!

It wasn't optional since if you were to do Further Maths, you'd need to do both Mechanics and Statistics modules anyway. M3 is a killer though. M3-5 is pretty much first year uni stuff.
Reply 84
Original post by Nerrad
It wasn't optional since if you were to do Further Maths, you'd need to do both Mechanics and Statistics modules anyway. M3 is a killer though. M3-5 is pretty much first year uni stuff.

That's not true.

C1-4, S1-4, FP1-3, D1 gets you maths and further maths without any mechanics. :tongue:
Original post by Nerrad

Ouch!!!! No I swear you can do further Maths and pick S1 and D1? Well I hope so anyway...... I'll manage to survive by avoiding Mechanics for as long as I can..
Reply 86
For all of you that love maths, you'll want to have a look at this, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3993741&p=63890409#post63890409
Be there! :wink:
Reply 87
Ah I forgot to specify that it applies specifically in my school. My school deemed other higher stats and decisions modules less challenging. And since Mechanics modules prepare us better for uni.
Original post by Zacken
That's not true.

C1-4, S1-4, FP1-3, D1 gets you maths and further maths without any mechanics. :tongue:
If i understand it then yes i do enjoy maths
Reply 89
Yea I forgot to specify that that's happens in my school. And yes there could be an amalgamation of different modules for FM depending on your school.
Original post by Parasite
Ouch!!!! No I swear you can do further Maths and pick S1 and D1? Well I hope so anyway...... I'll manage to survive by avoiding Mechanics for as long as I can..
I love maths very much.
Original post by Zacken
That's not true.

Dont joke about that stuff, S3,4 is responsible many mental health issues caused each year :wink: My maths teacher told me of 'the legend of the boy who tried to take S3'. Apparently noone he could find taught it in my county so he travelled for 40 mins every weekend for some special tuition by some retired teacher. This kept up for 3 months. He then ended up dropping further maths altogether before exams :tongue:
Love maths! IGCSE is too easy and the exam is wayyyy too long but FSMQ is way better. Looking forward to Further Maths next year
[scrollr]:rave::danceboy: GO MATH:danceboy::rave:[/scrollr]
I like stats BUT I don't like maths and don't really see the usefulness of all those algebraic equations tbh
Original post by EnglishMuon
Dont joke about that stuff, S3,4 is responsible many mental health issues caused each year :wink: My maths teacher told me of 'the legend of the boy who tried to take S3'. Apparently noone he could find taught it in my county so he travelled for 40 mins every weekend for some special tuition by some retired teacher. This kept up for 3 months. He then ended up dropping further maths altogether before exams :tongue:

What a silly silly boy. Hadn't he heard of self teaching? :rolleyes:
Original post by the bear
[scrollr]:rave::danceboy: GO MATH:danceboy::rave:[/scrollr]

*s :wink:
Original post by Student403
What a silly silly boy. Hadn't he heard of self teaching? :rolleyes:

lol you'd think not! But although Im not the most experienced at stats, I imagine
Selfteaching SiSelfharming,i>2 \mathrm{Selfteaching}\ S_{i} \equiv \mathrm{Selfharming}, i>2 :wink:
Reply 98

I have a friend who self-taught himself S3 and S4 and is looking forward to take the exam this June.
lol you'd think not! But although Im not the most experienced at stats, I imagine
Selfteaching SiSelfharming,i>2 \mathrm{Selfteaching}\ S_{i} \equiv \mathrm{Selfharming}, i>2 :wink:

LOL

I heard S3 was alright - not sure about S4 xD

Quick Reply

Latest