The Student Room Group

Durham Medicine Offer Holders 2016 thread (by Durham Medsoc)

Hey Guys, my name is George and I am president of the Medical Society here at Durham! This post is for those of you who have already gotten an offer (which as I understand it is mainly postgrads and mature students at time of writing: don't worry if you've not heard anything yet, they waited until the verrry end of March before telling me!)

Medicine here has a long tradition of a very sociable and close-knit society with lots of events so I really hope you guys get involved! We offer:

-A medic parent scheme whereby you will be assigned medic parents who are second years who'll help you through the course with any questions and tips you might have/need. There will be several family nights out, quizzes and sports events (also bowling and movies) to help you guys get to know each-other from day one and also integrate with the second years as much as possible.

-Regular trips, balls and nights out. We are planning several nights out including a welcome bar crawl in Durham, a post formative (think mock) exam night out in Newcastle, a post January exam night out in Leeds, joining Newcastle medics for their superb metroline and numerous other events! Our nights our are legendarily good and often attended by a lot of people from other courses. In particular the post formative, post May exam and MedSoc Ball are known to be some of the best nights Durham University has to offer!

-For those who are not fans of going out to clubs you will also be well catered for. We offer several movie nights, day trips to York and Yarm and museum visits (these will mainly be to the exhibits at the Life centre in Newcastle). We also have a Medsoc talent show and other more chilled evening events like bowling to make sure you're included. The medic families will be specifically catered for your individual tastes in terms of what you like doing.

-We offer academic help in the form of revision sessions before every exam, online quizzes and both the Vice President (Jan Dixon) and academic affairs officer (TBC) being on hand to answer any questions about the course you might have. There is also a student wrote wikipedia of the course called mediwikis which will help you as it is tailor-made for our course. Our mediwiki is one of the longest and most in depth out there compared to other universities.

-We have regular sports on up at the sport centre in Queen's campus. Pick any sport and there will probably be medics who can do it with you. We participate in NAMS (national association of medical school sports) every year which are fantastic sporting events to attend and always a good laugh. This is coordinated by Tom Johnson, our sports office. You will also get a lot of sporting opportunities through your college.

-We, along with the other medical societies (GP, surgery etc), organise several talks by external speakers along with an annual careers conference where you will get to experience a the stories of a huge and diverse group of medical professionals to try and find what fits best for you. We can also organise numerous work experience opportunities along with the other societies.

In terms of Queen's campus itself there are numerous other opportunities available to you. Each of the two colleges has a massive array of sports teams from lacross to rowing and almost anything in between. The campus itself is right next to the river Tees which has a white water rafting and kayaking centre on it, around five minutes walk from campus. A massive indoor trampoline gym called Jump 360 is just down the road as well. There is also a local Army Reserve Medical Corps unit within walking distance and a St John Ambulance volunteer unit should you wish to gain more experience (and money, in the case of the reserve). These are really good opportunities and right on your doorstep.

You also have free transport up to Durham. An old university town with numerous restaurants, student shops and night clubs. It is a truly lovely day out full of history and breathtaking scenery. There are also Yarm, Newcastle and York within travelling distance which all offer superb days out regardless of what you are into. Yarm offers picturesque scenery and excellent restaurants, York as a lovely Cathedral and many student bars and Newcastle offers excellent shops, bars and museums for you to go to. In Stockton itself the high-street has very cheap shops to suit anybody's needs, the ARC theatre has regular comedy and plays on for those who enjoy that and there is a cinema in Middlesbrough and Durham which are very easy to get to. You will also have access to a full range of student societies here in Stockton and up in Durham to provide you with one of the most well rounded university experiences possible. Want to go skydiving? You can! Want to dress up as Jane Austen? There's a society for that! Want to run round the park and shoot each-other with nerf guns? Assassin society! Like debating political issues? Union society! Anything you want to do, you can do it here at Durham.

Throughout the course you will also be put into a community placement which will give you amazing experience in terms of communication skills. They are also by and large really fun and enjoyable.

There is an offer holder facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/175662646153839/ which I recommend you all go and give a like for more information. Feel free to ask the exec who are on the page any questions about offers, accommodation and university admin. We will be on hand every day to help you through the process which we all know can be confusing and stressful at times. No questions are stupid! We will also have a medicine fresher group and a joint medsoc account online all year to answer any and all questions you might have during your time here at Durham!

I hope to see you all up here in October!

George
Has all offers gone out
Reply 2
Original post by L2Medicine2016
Has all offers gone out

No, only some have. It is mainly mature students, graduates, those who did foundation years and some (but definitely not all) of those who already have A-levels.

Don't worry, I got my offer in late April when I was *this* close to firming somewhere else!
Original post by George551
No, only some have. It is mainly mature students, graduates, those who did foundation years and some (but definitely not all) of those who already have A-levels.

Don't worry, I got my offer in late April when I was *this* close to firming somewhere else!

Ive got an offer and am in yr13 but it seems like the majority of the year from the Facebook group are all postgraduates and not sure if that's everyone
Reply 4
Original post by L2Medicine2016
Ive got an offer and am in yr13 but it seems like the majority of the year from the Facebook group are all postgraduates and not sure if that's everyone

Yeah not all offers are out yet, don't worry, in my year the majority are people like yourself. Also while a lot of grad related posts are on the page I'm sure there are a lot of undergrads, it was the same last year.
Original post by George551
Yeah not all offers are out yet, don't worry, in my year the majority are people like yourself. Also while a lot of grad related posts are on the page I'm sure there are a lot of undergrads, it was the same last year.

Okay thanks when is offer holders day?
Reply 6
We don't have an official date yet, when all the undergraduate offers are out we'll get an official date
Is there anyone who's currently in first year and have missed a grade so AAB or do you know how they are with things like that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending