The Student Room Group

Calling all vegans and vegetarians; I need your advice and experience

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TaintedLight
Who would have thought someone like you could sustain a vegan experience. I have my eyebrow raised 😎

See that's the problem with sunglasses. You have to awkwardly tell people you have your eyebrow raised because they can't see.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
See that's the problem with sunglasses. You have to awkwardly tell people you have your eyebrow raised because they can't see.

And here i thought you had something interesting to weigh in on Soya milk's side-effects (if any). Disappointed.

Original post by KatieAlicexxx
I'm not vegan- I'm not even vegetarian. I just do a lot of background reading as I want to go into dietetics. Spinach can easily give you that.Posted from TSR Mobile

Greetings!

Behold:

Soy milk contains phytochemicals called isoflavones. Phytochemicals are plant compounds known for their disease-fighting abilities. The isoflavones in soy milk raise estrogen levels, which is beneficial for post-menopausal women who experience hot flashes and other symptoms after natural estrogen levels drop. On the down side, isoflavones block the body’s natural estrogen and take away the protective effect estrogen levels have against breast and uterine cancers before menopause. They may also promote hormone-sensitive cancers in certain people. In men, soy lowers testosterone levels leading to a decreased sex drive

Do you think this has some truth in it? Thanks for reading and possibly responding :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
And here i thought you had something interesting to weigh in on Soya milk's side-affects (if any). Disappointed.

Well, I don't have that much to say. I started putting soy milk on my cereal a few months ago (I don't use milk for much else), and I haven't had any ill effects.
And here i thought you had something interesting to weigh in on Soya milk's side-effects (if any). Disappointed.

Greetings!

Behold:

Do you think this has some truth in it? Thanks for reading and possibly responding :biggrin:

Hi!
I'm not well read into the effects of soy milk, so I can't really give my two cents on it. I have heard that it raises oestrogen levels but I couldn't tell you by how much and whether the source was accurate. I'll look into it and update you when I find out!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KatieAlicexxx
Hi!
I'm not well read into the effects of soy milk, so I can't really give my two cents on it. I have heard that it raises oestrogen levels but I couldn't tell you by how much and whether the source was accurate. I'll look into it and update you when I find out!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright, in case you ever wonder where I get the bad PR for soya milk it's here:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/516107-long-term-side-effects-of-soy-milk/

Also after each day, I get more convinced that soya milk is a bad choice for a long term diet!
Reply 45
most supermarkets sell vegan alternatives to milk for relatively cheap (£1-£2), i'm not sure about soy milk in particular, but I really recommend unsweetened almond milk. Another option is to make your own vegan milk! If you have a food processor all you have to do is soak some oats in water over night and then sieve the pulp in the morning and the liquid is your oat milk... simple and very cheap! Also, if you want the oat milk to be a little sweeter, add a tiny bit of maple syrup or something to the original soaking oats...
I would also suggest trying out nutritional yeast (£2.00) as a replacement for cheese (vegan or not) because it gives you your B12 vits which are sooo important and also tastes great and the pot will last you at least 4 weeks depending how much you use it.
Alpro soya yogurts are a great vegan alternative to yogurt and they taste AMAZING! they are all accessible from ALL big supermarkets like tesco etc. I find that when I shop at ALDI or LIDL I just stick to getting my fruits veg and pulses etc then get the more specific stuff from tescos.
Hope this helps and if you have any other questions about veganism just ask!! x
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by RivalPlayer
900 to a 1000mg.

UK guidelines state that you only need 700mg, and calcium-fortified soya milk has just as much calcium as dairy milk. On top of that, vegetables such as kale contain a lot of calcium, and you'll pick up more as a vegan from beans and other vegetables such as broccoli.

All in all, calcium isn't a problem on a vegan diet. It's possible to get all of the nutrients one needs on such a diet.

In fact, as the Harvard School of Public Health states:

Calcium is important. But milk isn’t the only, or even best, source.

It’s not a news flash that calcium is key for healthy bones. Getting enough calcium from childhood through adulthood helps build bones up and then helps slow the loss of bone as we age. It’s not clear, though, that we need as much calcium as is generally recommended, and it’s also not clear that dairy products are really the best source of calcium for most people.

While calcium and dairy can lower the risk of osteoporosis and colon cancer, high intake can increase the risk of prostate cancer and possibly ovarian cancer.

Plus, dairy products can be high in saturated fat as well as retinol (vitamin A), which at high levels can paradoxically weaken bones.

Good, non-dairy sources of calcium include collards, bok choy, fortified soy milk, baked beans, and supplements that contain both calcium and vitamin D (a better choice than taking calcium alone)...

...Calcium-rich non-dairy foods include leafy green vegetables and broccoli, both of which are also great sources of vitamin K, another key nutrient for bone health. Beans and tofu can also supply calcium.

[My bold]
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by viddy9
UK guidelines state that you only need 700mg, and calcium-fortified soya milk has just as much calcium as dairy milk. On top of that, vegetables such as kale contain a lot of calcium, and you'll pick up more as a vegan from beans and other vegetables such as broccoli.

All in all, calcium isn't a problem on a vegan diet. It's possible to get all of the nutrients one needs on such a diet.

In fact, as the Harvard School of Public Health states:

[My bold]

Hey, I've read soya milk can screw one's hormones if it's part of your long term diet. Say something about this please!
I haven't read the whole thread so may just be repeating what's already been said but I've been vegan for almost a year now and it's actually much cheaper than an omni diet once you know what you're doing. Just cook meals in bulk before and buy dried beans etc as they're cheaper! A lot of my meals are only 10p per meal!! Really doesn't have to be expensive at all. Make lentil bolongases, bean stews, soups, daal and freeze it in portions so that you just defrost your meals when you need them! Also go to a wholesaler if you can (eg Costco) and buy beans and rice and pulses in bulk - I think you can even get soya milk which isn't actually expensive! Also if you go to the supermarkets late sometimes the veggies and fruits are reduced so much! Like 2p per bunch of bananas just because they think they're overripe (when actually they're perfect and spotty!!) you can freeze these too and put them in smoothies or make nana icecream! Honestly veganism is not an expensive lifestyle at all if you don't waste money on silly things and there are loads of articles on this so have a look online for them :smile:

I hope this has helped and keep going with the veganism! Remember to carb up and make sure you're eating enough so that you stay happy and full! It's such a great choice you've made and don't hesitate to ask me for any advice if you need it! :smile:
Reply 49
Hey, I've read soya milk can screw one's hormones if it's part of your long term diet. Say something about this please!

Hey.

I've come across this claim before, but from my reading of the peer-reviewed literature, there's no convincing evidence that soya products, including soya-milk, can screw up your hormones or affect fertility. Beaton et al. (2010) found no evidence of this being the case, concluding: "Consumption of soy protein of low or high isoflavone content does not adversely affect semen quality in a sample of healthy adult men."

Similarly, a 2010 meta-analysis found no evidence of hormones being screwed up: "The results of this meta-analysis suggest that neither soy foods nor isoflavone supplements alter measures of bioavailable T concentrations in men."

Finally, according to the American Association of Paediatrics: "there is no conclusive evidence from animal, adult human, or infant populations that dietary soy isoflavones may adversely affect human development, reproduction, or endocrine function." [My bold]

So, I'm perfectly happy to continue to have soya milk every day!
(edited 8 years ago)
You could also try hazelnut, almond or rice milk. You can get all of those in places like tesco and they do their own brands so are a lot cheaper than the branded ones

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest