The Student Room Group

UCL gave me an offer of AAA even though I am predicted AAB

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Zacken
I could dig one or two up, the standard agreement as of late is that it seems Warwick prefer A*/A's in the three physics A-Level than STEP grades for some reason. That could be because they prefer people who firm them and don't sit STEP versus Cambridge rejects but we can't really be sure.

What I like is that Warwick's attitude is that they give offers to everybody and then let the tough offer filter the candidature. Obviously a good proportion of them are those who end up at Cambridge, Oxford or Imperial hence allowing them to give (virtually) everybody offers.

Interesting. It may also be due to the wildly variable support for STEP preparation offered by schools in the UK. Many schools are completely unprepared to offer any kind of meaningful support to students targeting universities which require entrance exams.

If I were applying I would certainly welcome that kind of offer. I don't recall this always being the case though - do you know when they started giving their offers this way?
Original post by Rhythmical
I'm with OCR and I've heard The Wife of Bath is more interesting than The Merchant's Tale. And we're studying the The Tempest for our play. I'm also studying The History Boys and The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories (Angela Carter is a radical feminist) but with the Tempest, our teacher showed us the film and never told us to read the book. The film is not accurate to the play! :colonhash:

Yeah I can't fault it for not being interesting, it is! But just difficult to understand sometimes :P
Oh never heard of any of those, apart from the tempest. Doing Hamlet this year.. Do love Shakespeare :biggrin:
Original post by Aydin7
Hey there, the same thing happened with my application to Birmingham. My target grade set by the school is a C, my teachers have given me predicated grades of AAB and Birmingham gave me an offer of AAA. From what I can gather, a universities entry requirements for a course tend to correlate to the demand for that course. So by setting the entry grades higher, they reduce the number of applicants.
That being said, they still want to fill the course with students to maximize profits, so if they had 80% of their offers achieve the required grades(AAA), they may still look to fill the other 20% with students that didn't achieve AAA so they can reach maximum capacity for the course. Obviously these percentages vary with each year.
I think this may be a reason they give offers to students with lower target grades, but maybe not.

Hmmm yeah. I met this girl at my interview who was predicted ABB and got an offer of AAB.. so is it also based on our predictions as opposed to setting high standards for everyone
Original post by aladdin818
Yeah I can't fault it for not being interesting, it is! But just difficult to understand sometimes :P
Oh never heard of any of those, apart from the tempest. Doing Hamlet this year.. Do love Shakespeare :biggrin:

Shakespeare's language is easier to engage and understand. Plus a lot of it is relatable and makes sense. Is Hamlet good?
Reply 64
excuse me guys could u tell me how to use this website ?? I think it is for a discussions am I right ??
Shakespeare's language is easier to engage and understand. Plus a lot of it is relatable and makes sense. Is Hamlet good?

Yeah definitely. Yeah it's great :smile:
Hmmm yeah. I met this girl at my interview who was predicted ABB and got an offer of AAB.. so is it also based on our predictions as opposed to setting high standards for everyone

Interesting, someone in my class that applied for the same course as me had better AS grades, but worse predicated grades and didn't get an offer.
Reply 67

Hamlet is quite good, though the fact it stood as motivation for the Millais painting is its greatest accolade.

The History Boys is fantastic. Presumably you've watched the film as well by now but if not you should. Obviously the ending differs from the original but it is rather excellent.
Yeah definitely. Yeah it's great :smile:

Aww that's good.

Original post by Balor
Hamlet is quite good, though the fact it stood as motivation for the Millais painting is its greatest accolade.

The History Boys is fantastic. Presumably you've watched the film as well by now but if not you should. Obviously the ending differs from the original but it is rather excellent.

That sounds quite interesting and my favourite to study has been The History Boys. I watched the film before I read the book as I ordered both and watched it within a few hours so I knew what happened before everyone else and I was so shocked. But it was engaging and isn't on par with my other books/plays purely because it entertained me.
Similar thing happened to me. I was predicted a B but UCL asked for an A in the offer conditions. I got a B, UCL accepted me anyway. :biggrin:
Original post by Thomb
okie was perhaps an exaggeration but you get the point?

Not an exaggeration - although the highest minimum iffer for a course is I think A*A*A, I know several people who were required to get A*A*A* or higher
Reply 71
Original post by Balor
Interesting. It may also be due to the wildly variable support for STEP preparation offered by schools in the UK. Many schools are completely unprepared to offer any kind of meaningful support to students targeting universities which require entrance exams.

If I were applying I would certainly welcome that kind of offer. I don't recall this always being the case though - do you know when they started giving their offers this way?

They added the non-STEP option this year (2017 entry).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Welp. Time to hit the textbooks I guess.
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Not an exaggeration - although the highest minimum iffer for a course is I think A*A*A, I know several people who were required to get A*A*A* or higher

It's actually A*AA

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think TSR has its own version of Godwin's Law except with Oxbridge instead of Hitler.
Reply 75
Original post by Plagioclase
I think TSR has its own version of Godwin's Law except with Oxbridge instead of Hitler.

Now that's funny :smile:

Or the wiki philosophy thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
what do you plan on studying
Original post by Princepieman
It's actually A*AA

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know where you got this from, but currently the standard offer for my course (Natural Sciences) is A*A*A, and it's pretty common for applicants to be given higher offers (eg A*A*A* or more than three subjects)
Original post by dragonkeeper999
I don't know where you got this from, but currently the standard offer for my course (Natural Sciences) is A*A*A, and it's pretty common for applicants to be given higher offers (eg A*A*A* or more than three subjects)

Plenty of courses have entry reqs of A*AA, check the Cam website.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Plenty of courses have entry reqs of A*AA, check the Cam website.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, but I was specifically talking about the HIGHEST minimum offer for a course

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending