The Student Room Group

World Twenty20 2016 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Mustafizur Rahman (Ban) in the official team of the tournament despite only playing 3 games due to injury.
Reply 1061
So, here are my end-of-tournament awards. What are yours?

Best match: England vs West Indies
It has to be, doesn't it? What a match. I'd also place India's victory over Bangladesh, and England's victory over SA, as honourable mentions.

Best player: Virat Kohli, India
Again, it's the only logical decision. Joe Root is probably a second, but Kohli out-scored the rest of the Indian order - by himself. The man was a colossus, delivering match-winning innings and keeping calm when all about him were losing their heads. A shame his tournament had to end with a relatively pedestrian, slow knock against the Windies - but we saw in the final how WI bowlers can strangle and suffocate an innings.

Best innings: Kohli's 82 vs Australia
You can probably make a case for Simmons' knock to beat India, but Kohli's innings got them over the line in fine style against Australia and was probably the definitive knock of the tournament. An excellent innings from the best chaser in the world. He played proper cricketing shots, too. Calm cover drives, lovely cuts through the off-side. He treats the best bowlers in the world with utter disdain - and fair play to him for that. No fear, no self-doubt. Just an assured, accomplished presence.

Best moment: Afghanistan beating WI
As if the only team to beat the World Twenty20 champions was Afghanistan. A right finger up at the ICC. I loved watching Rashid Khan play, and the cheeriness Afghanistan breathed through the competition. I love them. They won the hearts of thousands of neutrals!

Biggest disappointment: Where to begin?
Well, you could argue SA's inability to prove themselves on the grandest stage once again was a disappointment. Other areas for disappointment were NZ's semi-final defeat after such a solid start (not that I was complaining, as an England fan) because I love that group of players and they go about their business the right way. The Pakistan fiasco was an utter debacle - but there are some positives for them to take (namely Amir's form) and India not making the final was a shame for the entire host nation. But the side-lining of the associates, and the disrespect they are shown by the ICC, needs to change. The first week of the tournament (the initial group phase) was an utter farce. Things need to change.
Reply 1062
Original post by moment of truth
x

Original post by JoJo9
x

My team of the tournament, chaps:

Roy
Buttler (wk)
Kohli
Root
Watson
Russell
Bravo
Badree
Santner
Willey
Mustafizur

To complete the 15-man squad: Shahzad, Sodhi, Amir, Simmons.
Original post by Mackay
My team of the tournament, chaps:

Roy
Buttler (wk)
Kohli
Root
Watson
Russell
Bravo
Badree
Santner
Willey
Mustafizur

To complete the 15-man squad: Shahzad, Sodhi, Amir, Simmons.

Captain?

We have 8/11 same players. I like the addition to move Buttler to the top of the innings, too.
Reply 1064

We have 8/11 same players. I like the addition to move Buttler to the top of the innings, too.

That was just to accommodate everyone. I'd have placed Gayle in there at a push, even if he only scored 13 runs aside from that mammoth innings against England.

It's been great discussing the tournament with you, pal. 50+ pages - it's clearly popular!

Captain-wise, I'd give it Bravo.
Original post by Mackay
That was just to accommodate everyone. I'd have placed Gayle in there at a push, even if he only scored 13 runs aside from that mammoth innings against England.

It's been great discussing the tournament with you, pal. 50+ pages - it's clearly popular!

Captain-wise, I'd give it Bravo.

I do think there were better openers than Gayle, but for the fear factor etc, it's understandable.

Same with you man, it's gonna be weird having no constant international cricket coming on! Yep, loads of people clearly watched the WT20, but hopefully we can have more people contribute when there is just normal cricket on! I can see the IPL thread being as popular, too.
Reply 1066
I do think there were better openers than Gayle, but for the fear factor etc, it's understandable.

Same with you man, it's gonna be weird having no constant international cricket coming on! Yep, loads of people clearly watched the WT20, but hopefully we can have more people contribute when there is just normal cricket on! I can see the IPL thread being as popular, too.

I haven't watched an IPL tournament fully, but with the broadcasting on Sky, I'll definitely be watching a large proportion of the matches. I'll be backing Buttler and Mumbai Indians.
Reply 1067
That's a good point about who my captain would be - maybe Kohli been captain with RCB and being groomed as long term succesor to Dhoni. Although captaincy could always weigh Kohli down, although given his character I think it might spur him on even more.

Good being part of this thread for latter parts. Was just on student room and saw this as one of latest threads and I was like yh I'm definetly gonna join this.

With regards to IPL my side will be RCB as it has been for 5/6 years. Initially just casually followed them then because of Gayle but now love them enough that would still support Gayle-less RCB.
Reply 1068
Original post by JoJo9

With regards to IPL my side will be RCB as it has been for 5/6 years. Initially just casually followed them then because of Gayle but now love them enough that would still support Gayle-less RCB.

Are you Indian, mate? Welcome to the thread. Good to have you. There's a cricket society in the sports forum, too. Get involved.

I haven't watched a lot of IPL, but Buttler's my man. I'll back him, and Mumbai.
Reply 1069
Original post by Mackay
Are you Indian, mate? Welcome to the thread. Good to have you. There's a cricket society in the sports forum, too. Get involved.

I haven't watched a lot of IPL, but Buttler's my man. I'll back him, and Mumbai.

Thanks, Born and raised in England, West Indian (Jamaican) heritage so happy with yesterday.

KL will do, intrigued how Mumbai will fit Buttler in. If Malinga is fit then they have him, Simmons, Pollard, Anderson and Buttler. If Pollard and Malinga are fit fancy Anderson may miss out
Reply 1070
Original post by JoJo9
Thanks, Born and raised in England, West Indian (Jamaican) heritage so happy with yesterday.

KL will do, intrigued how Mumbai will fit Buttler in. If Malinga is fit then they have him, Simmons, Pollard, Anderson and Buttler. If Pollard and Malinga are fit fancy Anderson may miss out

You look at the batting power RCB boast. Christ. It's like a who's who of the world's best batsmen. It's basically a fantasy team!
man of the tournament is carlos

kohli and stoke are the failures of the tournament
Reply 1072
Original post by interact
man of the tournament is carlos

kohli and stoke are the failures of the tournament

What a lazy thing to say.
Original post by Mackay
I haven't watched an IPL tournament fully, but with the broadcasting on Sky, I'll definitely be watching a large proportion of the matches. I'll be backing Buttler and Mumbai Indians.

I'm backing Mumbai Indians too haha.

Looks like we were wrong with some of our predictions, including the champions and the finalists.
Reply 1074
I'm backing Mumbai Indians too haha.

Looks like we were wrong with some of our predictions, including the champions and the finalists.

I got Pakistan and SL's implosions correct, but massively underestimated the West Indies. That's why I feel so sorry for Mark Nicholas.

He didn't say WI were "brainless", he said they were "short of brains". And he's right. They are. But that worked to their advantage.

Nine out of 10 cricket fans would have banked India to win the World Twenty20, and the rest would have said either Australia or SA I imagine.
Original post by Mackay
I got Pakistan and SL's implosions correct, but massively underestimated the West Indies. That's why I feel so sorry for Mark Nicholas.

He didn't say WI were "brainless", he said they were "short of brains". And he's right. They are. But that worked to their advantage.

Nine out of 10 cricket fans would have banked India to win the World Twenty20, and the rest would have said either Australia or SA I imagine.

Agreed, I also predicted Australia leaving at the group stages and NZ making it through. It was an unpredictable WT20, so it is completely fair enough. India were firm favourites before the tournament started, but just didn't perform to their potential.
Reply 1076
Sarfraz Ahmed has replaced Afridi as Pakistan’s T20 captain.
Original post by Mackay
Sarfraz Ahmed has replaced Afridi as Pakistan’s T20 captain.

That is the best thing that could've happened to the team. Congratulations to him, he's an attacker and hopefully he'll manage to turn the team around.

Him or Shoaib Malik would've been my picks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1078
Original post by Enginerd.
That is the best thing that could've happened to the team. Congratulations to him, he's an attacker and hopefully he'll manage to turn the team around.

Him or Shoaib Malik would've been my picks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He should have been made the captain before the Asia Cup in my opinion. This is long overdue.

There needs to be systematic changes at grass roots level, too.
Flop WT20 team, anyone?

1) Rohit Sharma
2) Dinesh Chandimal (wk)
3) AB de Villiers
4) Suresh Raina
5) Eoin Morgan
6) Shahid Afridi (c)
7) Darren Sammy
8) Ravichandran Ashwin
9) Wahab Riaz
10) Josh Hazlewood
11) Rangana Herath

Thought it would be unfair to include any of the SA bowlers considering they played a couple of games in Mumbai on the flattest track in the tournament. Might be a bit harsh on some of these :colondollar: and there may be a few other players that are more worthy of being in the team. Made Shahid Afridi captain due to his inability to lead Pakistan.

Quick Reply

Latest