The Student Room Group

TSR: What uni shall I go to?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by littlenorthernlass
ByronicHero is the greatest <3

So, I will preface this by pointing out that for quite a long time I was an education consultant and hired teacher for a living; I have interviewed hundreds of teachers and ancillary staff and have heard many different opinions about such things. My opinions is no more valid than anyone else's but it is rooted in experience.

I think you should go to York. I do not deny the importance of enjoying your time at university, but your time as a professional is so much longer. If you are sure you want to teach that age group then you should be taking the opportunities available to you now to teach that age group. Behaviour management is not enormously different for the older age group(s) so I don't think you need to be concerned about that, but I really think you would benefit most from following your professional intentions here.

Things like accommodation are irrelevant. You will make your peace with such things within days,

This all being said, there definitely is a teacher shortage - even with the foreign influx - so the transition to teaching X after having studied Y is entirely possibly if you are confident and able.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks mods for moving my thread to where NO ONE WILL SEE IT.:angry:

Original post by ByronicHero
So, I will preface this by pointing out that for quite a long time I was an education consultant and hired teacher for a living; I have interviewed hundreds of teachers and ancillary staff and have heard many different opinions about such things. My opinions is no more valid than anyone else's but it is rooted in experience.

I think you should go to York. I do not deny the importance of enjoying your time at university, but your time as a professional is so much longer. If you are sure you want to teach that age group then you should be taking the opportunities available to you now to teach that age group. Behaviour management is not enormously different for the older age group(s) so I don't think you need to be concerned about that, but I really think you would benefit most from following your professional intentions here.

Things like accommodation are irrelevant. You will make your peace with such things within days,

This all being said, there definitely is a teacher shortage - even with the foreign influx - so the transition to teaching X after having studied Y is entirely possibly if you are confident and able.

Damn, you are very insightful:redface: There's always the chance that I might be ok with the older ones and get more confidence from teaching them, rather than sticking to the younger ones like glue...:s-smilie:
Heeeeelp heeeelp heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp
Heeeeelp heeeelp heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp

You've already been given some good advice, what else are you waiting for? :indiff:

Forget about accommodation, shops, how pretty the city is, floods, catholic certificates, airports and snow (really? snow? :facepalm:) - NONE of this is relevant. The choice is pretty simple; either you do your preferred course (and accept that means living somewhere that isn't perfect), or you do the 3-11 BA which you say makes you feel uncomfortable. You don't need a catholic certificate to work in a catholic school.
Original post by Snufkin
You've already been given some good advice, what else are you waiting for? :indiff:

Forget about accommodation, shops, how pretty the city is, floods, catholic certificates, airports and snow (really? snow? :facepalm:) - NONE of this is relevant. The choice is pretty simple; either you do your preferred course (and accept that means living somewhere that isn't perfect), or you do the 3-11 BA which you say makes you feel uncomfortable. You don't need a catholic certificate to work in a catholic school.

Why are you always in a grump?:indiff:

But it IS relevant because it will ALL factor in to how happy I am. A happy bunny will work hard and a sad bunny who hates where she lives will not. The halls and the area I live in are especially important because they will massively affect how happy and settled I am - I am a person who is extremely influenced by where I live and what/whom surrounds me.

I am waiting and hoping that someone might say something that will help sway my decision.
Why are you always in a grump?:indiff:

But it IS relevant because it will ALL factor in to how happy I am. A happy bunny will work hard and a sad bunny who hates where she lives will not. The halls and the area I live in are especially important because they will massively affect how happy and settled I am - I am a person who is extremely influenced by where I live and what/whom surrounds me.

I am waiting and hoping that someone might say something that will help sway my decision.

I'm not being grumpy, I'm being practical. You should try it.

You can't control every single factor in life, obsessing about minutiae is just a way of avoiding making decisions. If your happiness depends on trivial and insignificant details like snow and prettiness then you have a problem, perhaps you should see your GP?
Original post by Snufkin
I'm not being grumpy, I'm being practical. You should try it.

You can't control every single factor in life, obsessing about minutiae is just a way of avoiding making decisions. If your happiness depends on trivial and insignificant details like snow and prettiness then you have a problem, perhaps you should see your GP?

No, you are always grumpy with me and always have been.

:rolleyes: Snow and prettiness make me happy - of course I want to live somewhere that has things that will make me happy. I'm not sorry that I'm not unaffected by concrete and ugliness like most people are. I feel happy INSIDE if I see things pretty and green.
I voted a while back but I thought I'd comment and explain my reasoning! I think you should go for Cumbria. It honestly sounds like you would be so much happier living there and obviously that is incredibly important. Now your main issue here is the 3-11 year old thing by the sounds of it? I know you're not keen on working with the older children but it could end up turning out to be a good experience. I think the wider age range would give you more of an overall grounding in primary education. Whilst you don't want to teach the juniors in your career, I still feel this could benefit you! You say you worry about teaching them, but I genuinely think they could be easier to control than the little ones who I'm sure you know don't always like to do as they're told due to their age :teehee: have you had experience with the juniors? It may not be as bad as you expect once you get started.

Best of luck in making a decision :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
No, you are always grumpy with me and always have been.

:rolleyes: Snow and prettiness make me happy - of course I want to live somewhere that has things that will make me happy. I'm not sorry that I'm not unaffected by concrete and ugliness like most people are. I feel happy INSIDE if I see things pretty and green.

Fine, do a course that makes you unhappy instead. Just remember that if you end up dropping out you will have no one to blame but yourself.
Original post by Changing Skies
I voted a while back but I thought I'd comment and explain my reasoning! I think you should go for Cumbria. It honestly sounds like you would be so much happier living there and obviously that is incredibly important. Now your main issue here is the 3-11 year old thing by the sounds of it? I know you're not keen on working with the older children but it could end up turning out to be a good experience. I think the wider age range would give you more of an overall grounding in primary education. Whilst you don't want to teach the juniors in your career, I still feel this could benefit you! You say you worry about teaching them, but I genuinely think they could be easier to control than the little ones who I'm sure you know don't always like to do as their told due to their age :teehee: have you had experience with the juniors? It may not be as bad as you expect once you get started.

Best of luck in making a decision :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!:hugs: That was very reassuring to read:hugs: The only experience I have with the juniors is in an informal environment in the breakfast club at school. I just find them very intimidating and worry they'll give me a hard time as I am so quiet and gentle and so short :colonhash:
I feel like if I went for 3-7 at Leeds then I'm taking the safe option and I'll regret never having an experience with the juniors - even if they're awful for me... I'm quite tempted by the risk but obviously I don't want to ruin my degree:erm:
Original post by Snufkin
Fine, do a course that makes you unhappy instead. Just remember that if you end up dropping out you will have no one to blame but yourself.

But it might not be that bad!! And even if I went to Leeds Trinity and did the course that makes me happier, the place and the uni might make me unhappy because it is so isolated with no escape.:frown: All the halls are in close proximity on campus an I get the feeling it would be very much party-central:frown:
Cumbria cumbria CUMBRIA
Original post by darkred
Cumbria cumbria CUMBRIA

Any particular reasons why? :colondollar:
Thank you!:hugs: That was very reassuring to read:hugs: The only experience I have with the juniors is in an informal environment in the breakfast club at school. I just find them very intimidating and worry they'll give me a hard time as I am so quiet and gentle and so short :colonhash:
I feel like if I went for 3-7 at Leeds then I'm taking the safe option and I'll regret never having an experience with the juniors - even if they're awful for me... I'm quite tempted by the risk but obviously I don't want to ruin my degree:erm:

No worries! :h: I definitely understand your concerns with the older children, but children of all ages can be a little tactless, right? You could be perfect in every way possibly yet they'd still give you a hard time as they'll always find something :teehee: my friend is doing primary teaching and a child in her year 2 class asked her if she was a boy or a girl :lol: :colondollar: children just love to say it how it is so I feel you'll have to prepare yourself for anything, no matter the age! In some ways, I feel the older children may have more respect as they understand the importance more at that age (then high school comes and that goes out of the window when they get more brave! :lol:) If you're really sure you won't cope with the older children well, then maybe Leeds will be better for you! You need to be confident in your time on placement, and we certainly don't want you feeling unhappy with the experience as it could end up putting you off. Just take all of the time you need to make the decision and consider what is best for you, whether that be your happiness or your confidence or anything else! Definitely let me know what you decide in the end :hugs:
Any particular reasons why? :colondollar:

Because you clearly love it there, and being happier with everything else will mean you're more likely to do well on your course. And about the older kids... you're going to uni to learn how to handle them. Of course you're not going to be an expert already.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending