The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

2016-17 Sussex Offers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pabblethefish
Hi

I firmed an unconditional (I'm taking a year out) for geography. So far for the halls I've listed Swanborough then Brighthelm. I love the look of the communal area in Swanborough however the only reason I can afford it is because I'm entitled to a bursary (giving £2000 off rent) and I'm thinking maybe changing to prioritise Brighthelm because I'm worried Swanborough will be a bit posh for me. Does anyone know if there is a big socioeconomic divide between the halls?

Hi
I'm getting the bursary too which is why I'm able apply for Lewes. I was told on the visit that they felt there was a bit of a divide when it came to Northfield. But from what I heard there isn't a huge divide.

Good luck
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Original post by NutellaLuv
I applied for Law and American studies 2 days before the closing date for applying, I got an offer for BBB, took them just under a month to get back to me. You should have got an offer by now.

Wow great for you :smile: . Hopefully I get a good offer, I actually really want to go here and would be disappointed if I don't.
What offers did people get for law?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 243
Hi

I firmed an unconditional (I'm taking a year out) for geography. So far for the halls I've listed Swanborough then Brighthelm. I love the look of the communal area in Swanborough however the only reason I can afford it is because I'm entitled to a bursary (giving £2000 off rent) and I'm thinking maybe changing to prioritise Brighthelm because I'm worried Swanborough will be a bit posh for me. Does anyone know if there is a big socioeconomic divide between the halls?

Hi, don't want to come across as nosy or anything but might I ask how you received the bursary?
Original post by u97
Hi, don't want to come across as nosy or anything but might I ask how you received the bursary?

It's called the first generation scheme and you have to be the first person in your family to go to university and your household income must be under, I think £25,000. It may be higher.
Original post by kaonashi97
It's called the first generation scheme and you have to be the first person in your family to go to university and your household income must be under, I think £25,000. It may be higher.

......family income is less than £42,875
Original post by Colinj451
......family income is less than £42,875

Oh much higher than I thought. Thank you!!!
Oh much higher than I thought. Thank you!!!

One of the plusses of Sussex and offsets the cost of halls in first year at least.
Hi
I'm getting the bursary too which is why I'm able apply for Lewes. I was told on the visit that they felt there was a bit of a divide when it came to Northfield. But from what I heard there isn't a huge divide.

Good luck

Thanks, that's good to hear. I think the point of the bursary is to prevent a wealth division in the halls, but I guess we won't know whether it does the job until we get there!
Original post by u97

As kaonashi said, its based on income. The a bursary of the same amount is also available for any whizz kids who get AAA at A2 http://www.sussex.ac.uk/history/ugstudy/scholarships/2016/view/492.

I think if you meet the requirements for both you can combine them, but I'm unsure as to whether you get the full amount of them both (which would be amazing - £4000 off your rent in the first year and £2000 in years 1, 2 and 3!) or something lower.
As kaonashi said, its based on income. The a bursary of the same amount is also available for any whizz kids who get AAA at A2 http://www.sussex.ac.uk/history/ugstudy/scholarships/2016/view/492.

I think if you meet the requirements for both you can combine them, but I'm unsure as to whether you get the full amount of them both (which would be amazing - £4000 off your rent in the first year and £2000 in years 1, 2 and 3!) or something lower.

Getting both would be so amazing, wish I could pull that off. Although I would still want lewes 1. Is it just me who doesn't want an ensuit???
Getting both would be so amazing, wish I could pull that off. Although I would still want lewes 1. Is it just me who doesn't want an ensuit???

I changed my accomodation application this morning from Swanborough to Brighthelm. It looks more homey and apparently it's very high in demand and a lot of gap year students choose them which would be good for me. I get what you mean, I think sharing a bathroom is more sociable and makes it feel more like a communal flat/house rather than your own bubble.
I changed my accomodation application this morning from Swanborough to Brighthelm. It looks more homey and apparently it's very high in demand and a lot of gap year students choose them which would be good for me. I get what you mean, I think sharing a bathroom is more sociable and makes it feel more like a communal flat/house rather than your own bubble.

I think I put them third. And definitely agree about sharing a bathroom being more sociable. A lot of people I have spoken to say they don't want to share because of germs and stuff like that but people share all the time when they go out? I don't understand it at all.
I think I put them third. And definitely agree about sharing a bathroom being more sociable. A lot of people I have spoken to say they don't want to share because of germs and stuff like that but people share all the time when they go out? I don't understand it at all.

That's so strange, I mean I guess it would be nice for the privacy... but I reckon it wouldn't really make a difference, particularly in flats that have two bathrooms between x number of people.
do you still apply for accommodation if you've put Sussex as insurance??
Original post by ludd-sama
do you still apply for accommodation if you've put Sussex as insurance??

I found this
Undergraduates with insurance or clearing offers
If Sussex was your insurance choice, or if you receive an offer from Sussex through clearing, you are not guaranteed University-managed housing.

You can apply for housing online as soon as you receive your offer from Sussex.

However, because of high demand, it is unlikely that we will be able to offer you our accommodation. Applications are considered in the order in which we receive them.

However, we can help you find privately rented housing in the local area.

You can also sign up to our housing waiting list. Many students on the waiting list secure University accommodation during the first few weeks of term.

We will confirm if we can offer you University-managed housing, or offer you help with finding private accommodation and a place on our waiting list, in mid-August.

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/accommodation/apply
Just firmed my unconditional :biggrin:
Now to look for apartments XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zionxi
just firmed my unconditional :d
now to look for apartments xd

posted from tsr mobile

congratulations 😄😄😄
I'm so annoyed! I Emailed a women from sussex housing about when the applications start because i hadn't yet applied and she said to me it was may, that the applications will open. And now weeks later iv'e received an Email saying i urgently need to complete the housing application. I'll be so annoyed if i end up at like my 4th choice :frown:
Original post by Richpeasant
I'm so annoyed! I Emailed a women from sussex housing about when the applications start because i hadn't yet applied and she said to me it was may, that the applications will open. And now weeks later iv'e received an Email saying i urgently need to complete the housing application. I'll be so annoyed if i end up at like my 4th choice :frown:

That's awful!
I don't think it should matter because they don't start sorting people until we get our results!

Quick Reply

Latest