The Student Room Group

C1 Solving inequalities exam question - help please

This question is C1 January 2006, Q10 part (d), for reference.

I got to k^(2)<12, and then k<=+/-2root3. I thought I should leave the answer as k<2root3, as k<-2root3 is inclusive in k<2root3.

The answer is -2root3<k<2root3, and I am not sure why. Could somebody explain please?

Thank you
Reply 1
Thing about the graph of y=x212 y=x^2 -12 , to satisfy the inequality (replacing k with x) the curve must be below the x axis so that y<0.

You cannot just square root it when there is an inequality. By your logic -10 should satisfy the inequality, but does it in reality? No.
(edited 8 years ago)
It is k>-2root3 as the square of (-2root3) is 12. If we make it more negative then k^2 will be greater than 12.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I loved your explanation (http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot+y%3Dx%5E2-12)
It is like finding the roots of X^2-12=0
Generally I try remembering that x2aaxax^{2}\leq a\Rightarrow-\sqrt{a}\leq x\leq\sqrt{a}

Original post by B_9710
Thing about the graph of y=x212 y=x^2 -12 , to satisfy the inequality (replacing k with x) the curve must be below the x axis so that y<0.

You cannot just square root it when there is an inequality. By your logic -10 should satisfy the inequality, but does it in reality? No.
Reply 4
Original post by jamb97

In addition to the above, here's a pretty picture.

The two intersections of the curve and the line are at ±23\pm 2\sqrt{3} - I'm sure you can tell which is which. Now for what values of kk is the curve under the or less than the line?

Original post by depymak
x2aaxax^{2}\leq a\Rightarrow-\sqrt{a}\leq x\leq\sqrt{a}

To see why this is true think about x2ax2ax^2 \leq a \Rightarrow \sqrt{x^2} \leq \sqrt{a} since the square root is monotone increasing function then x<a|x| < \sqrt{a}.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest