The Student Room Group

I don't know whether to take business or media studies for GCSE?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by JamesN88
I can only comment based on my experience of doing half of a Media Studies GCSE course 10 years ago, I bailed out because IMO it was a load of sh*it.

loooool how was it that bad?! :K:
Original post by hasfaz
loooool how was it that bad?! :K:

It just seemed like you could learn everything they were teaching by reading a book one Sunday afternoon, not spend a year of your life doing it.

Who knows, a lot can change in 10 years.
I cant see either of them being very hard, business looks slightly less soft. It wont make a difference unless you need to do one for A level. i'd probably take more Maths or Science or both History and Geography, but you didn't ask that....

If you did Economics that would be more useful.

Have you talked to your teachers and looked at the syllabus? that would give you more insight about the course
.See which of these interest you
Business
http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/subjects/zpsvr82
Media
http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/subjects/ztnygk7
It just seemed like you could learn everything they were teaching by reading a book one Sunday afternoon, not spend a year of your life doing it.

All the better to get the top grade, then.
Reply 24

omg haha xD :biggrin:
Reply 25
Original post by 999tigger
I cant see either of them being very hard, business looks slightly less soft. It wont make a difference unless you need to do one for A level. i'd probably take more Maths or Science or both History and Geography, but you didn't ask that....

If you did Economics that would be more useful.

Have you talked to your teachers and looked at the syllabus? that would give you more insight about the course
.See which of these interest you
Business
http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/subjects/zpsvr82
Media
http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/subjects/ztnygk7

aha

Spoiler

Reply 26
I have taken business studies, I was in the same two minds as you, however business studies helps more than on area of occupation, and sets up you for your life ahead, and makes you aware of a good business etc.. which im sure yu alrady are aware of. but my view is media takes you into very few industries, however the industries media takes you to also falls under what business can bring you toso business studies shows you media studies and more in the world if that makes sense? message me for more help in deciding if you need it
All the better to get the top grade, then.

Fair point. I'd be amazed it there's an easier GCSE out there.
Reply 28
Original post by elisexox
I have taken business studies, I was in the same two minds as you, however business studies helps more than on area of occupation, and sets up you for your life ahead, and makes you aware of a good business etc.. which im sure yu alrady are aware of. but my view is media takes you into very few industries, however the industries media takes you to also falls under what business can bring you toso business studies shows you media studies and more in the world if that makes sense? message me for more help in deciding if you need it

aha, I get what you mean, Thank youuuuu & will do!
Original post by hasfaz
I'm taking Geogrpahy(g/history)
French (f/german)
1. Child Development
2.b/m
Reserve: b/m

If you possibly can do business and media instead of child development, I've taken that course and it seems rather useless, only worth it if you plan to have a baby within a few weeks of takin
Reply 30
Original post by Nevemarie15
If you possibly can do business and media instead of child development, I've taken that course and it seems rather useless, only worth it if you plan to have a baby within a few weeks of takin

But Child development is the only subject which I really want to take...
Fair point. I'd be amazed it there's an easier GCSE out there.

Horses for courses, what one person finds interesting and has an aptitude for someone else can find a mare. I'd do the one that interests me because not a lot rides on it.
Original post by hasfaz
But Child development is the only subject which I really want to take...

Will you want to go into child care? Will you want to go to Uni?
Reply 33
Will you want to go into child care? Will you want to go to Uni?

I was thinking of becoming a midwife.
Original post by hasfaz

I also want to be a midwife (or a doctor if I get the grades and it's looking like I will thank god) but I found that as the course content was quite easy it was a lot of time spent going over the same things - and the coursework can be hard at times in a massive contrast to that. By all means do it if you think you will enjoy it, but I thought that and it turned out completely different:frown:
Original post by hasfaz

Getting somewhere now.

Seems to be science, especially Biology ofc

The two additional subjects are Child Development and Health and Social Care.

Theres a thread here which discussed it. Post#6 is informative.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1376981

Reply 36
Original post by Nevemarie15
I also want to be a midwife (or a doctor if I get the grades and it's looking like I will thank god) but I found that as the course content was quite easy it was a lot of time spent going over the same things - and the coursework can be hard at times in a massive contrast to that. By all means do it if you think you will enjoy it, but I thought that and it turned out completely different:frown:

aww aha
Reply 37
Getting somewhere now.

Seems to be science, especially Biology ofc

The two additional subjects are Child Development and Health and Social Care.

Theres a thread here which discussed it. Post#6 is informative.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1376981

ikr xD
Thank you that helpeddddd!!
Original post by hasfaz
ikr xD
Thank you that helpeddddd!!

Once i know what you want then we can give better information. Try posting on the medicine thread to chat to any nursing students. If thats your career then neither of those GCSE's is going to make much difference.
Once i know what you want then we can give better information. Try posting on the medicine thread to chat to any nursing students. If thats your career then neither of those GCSE's is going to make much difference.

what did u take for gcse? are u in college?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending